Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
One of the questions the Costco Audiologist asked me after the exam..."are you prepared to wear these all the time?". No, I just wanted to wear them in public, my piece of schidt cell phone, or social situations (rarely). He flat out stated, "You probably won't be happy with your 1500 dollar investment then. You need to wear them all the waking hours." I thought that was very honest of him (they don't work on commission anyway) so I thanked him and walked. Wife is still pissed. Even before covid, it's usually 2 weeks between visits by friends who are deaf as me, people I want to talk to call my landline which I can hear, and I only go to town once a month for fuel and parts and a burger. Who needs it?
Costco has spent a lot of money on training for their techs for a reason, there's a lot to learn. You're paying for their expertise. If you don't use it, you're wasting your money. Their job is to help you get the most out of some very expensive equipment and if you ignore them, you're wasting it all.

The brain has to adapt to them. You can't hear in certain frequencies and the aids are designed to bring in other frequencies that are close to what you're missing. But, the aids can't do it alone. The brain has to learn to adapt to the new frequencies. It will but you have to wear the things to enable it to do so.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Every time I take a mask off, they come off with it. Luckily, the only place here where I have to wear a mask is Costco and dr. offices.

Get a neck gaitor-gaiter-gater or whatever.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Followup:
I said earlier that I had an appointment through Blue Cross/Truhearing. My Medicare pays a portion of the price. Nowhere on their website or in printed literature did it say that their pricing was per ear, not per pair. When I got there I was informed that the price just doubled.
I will probably have to pay for the exam I had but I'm going to Costco and will save $500 plus get lifetime adjustments, not just 3 as offered by insurance. The problem is that they're swamped and I can't get in until June.

I have some tinnitus. It's never bothered me but since my old hearing aids quit entirely, I notice the rushing sound much louder. Those of you who have it but don't wear hearing aids might do well to talk to an audiologist to see if hearing aids might cover up some of the tinnitus problem like they do for me. Nothing will cure it but they might help.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I paid $5000 for my Widex hearing aids three years ago. They need an Iphone 5S or later to blue tooth, but alas my phone was Iphone 5 so I had to purchase a XR to use the blue function. I does work better than putting a phone up to your ear. When using a land line phone I must take the left one out to hear. the ear seals block the hand set.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
WHAT??!
laugh

I need to get to a Cosco.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by benchman
I'm kinda deaf. Went to the VA, and got them for free. Made a big difference for me. I can carry on a conversation now. They also hook up to my phone on bluetooth. HUGE difference. I had stopped using a phone.

THIS ^^^^

Caveat: Getting in to the VA for assistance around here is a royal PITA. Once you have an appointment, the service, IMHO, is well above par.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by travelingman1
My 96yo mother got hers at Costco. $3000for the pair, with great service, etc.... Similar sets at other locations were 5 to 6K.

My nearest Costco is five hours of driving from where I live but I went there anyway as so many recommended them.....bottom live.....I saved $4,000 over the price I was quoted locally and the service is great and the product works quite well.....well worth the drive.....thanks to everyone that helped me out here.

Last edited by vapodog; 04/24/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have a smart TV that's supposed to be bluetooth compatible. I'm looking forward to using bluetooth so I can watch shows without captions.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my wife is trying them out. so far she is not impressed. she can hear the cars going by me farting clear as a bell but still can't hear voices or tv right. sounds to me like they screwed up the prescription or whatever you call it. she is going back for her first checkup next week. if they don't get it figured out, we'll be using the money back guarantee. this was not costco, it was some place her friends recommended.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just bought a new set about a month ago. I paid 2700 for a pair of phonak audeo paradise p70. That's less than half what was quoted by an audiologist.
Was able to do an online hearing exam and the seller programmed them for free.
Very happy with them

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have a smart TV that's supposed to be bluetooth compatible. I'm looking forward to using bluetooth so I can watch shows without captions.

I haven't done the aids yet, but for TV I've been known to wear my Howard Leight Impact Sport amplified ear muffs to watch a movie when I don't want to blow the wife out of the room watching a war picture. I watched "Siege of Firebase Gloria" that way yesterday and shooting sounds like it should when it's amplified. Sweetness sits closer to the TV than I do, so I'm contemplating spending a couple hundred for a Definitive Technology SM621D remote wireless coffee table speaker. These new bigger thin TV's don't have the front mounted speakers like they use to.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We got a speaker bar that sits in front of the TV. It's about 3' long and has very good sound. I can hear the sound other than voices fine. I just can't make out what they're saying. There's plenty of volume but no clarity.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I didn't think I could read lips until all this mask bologna.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by vapodog
I just came from a olace that sells hearing aids.....they range from $3,000 to $7500

The seller installed a middle of the range set of ear pieces and they were wonderful.....extremely high teck and worked like a charm.......but is it worth $5,500?

I know many folks posting here are older folks like me.....(75 years) and I suspect have a lot of info to add to this issue. I also know there's a lot to be learned.....but is the education worth the asking price?

Lets hear it.....what are the issues and reasonable costs?

I paid $6,000 for mine from Miracle Ear they are worth it if you want to hear

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
G
After watching this thread the wife and I joined Costco for the purpose of getting hearing aids. We went with the Phillips brand. $1,800 for a pair, each, includes battery charger w/case and storage case. Follow up coming after two weeks. I actually heard a bird chirping yesterday! Our hearing now is certainly not perfect but we are very glad that we got the hearing aids. Costco's technicians were professional and and informative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by travelingman1
My 96yo mother got hers at Costco. $3000for the pair, with great service, etc.... Similar sets at other locations were 5 to 6K.

THIS! Save some money they have great service and equipment.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last time I needed new aides I went to the nearest Costco (2 1/2 hours away) and got a membership. The amount I saved was worth the drive and time. Now I am only a half hour away from Costco.

I too have a problem with the mask take my aide off when I remove it. I am going to look into getting the gator.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Go to Costco.Bought mine for $1500 for the pair.The rechargeable ones are double. I have a Medicare advantage plan (Humana) and they would have cost the same.Costco's brand are really comfortable, work great, and are small..If you lose one, they replace free and will clean/check every three months for free as long as you are a member.
I had United Health Care Medicare Advantage and bought a pair thru them 5-6 years ago ($800). Not even close to these Costco's ones and it felt like I had my elbow in my ear with them

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by vapodog
I just came from a olace that sells hearing aids.....they range from $3,000 to $7500

The seller installed a middle of the range set of ear pieces and they were wonderful.....extremely high teck and worked like a charm.......but is it worth $5,500?

I know many folks posting here are older folks like me.....(75 years) and I suspect have a lot of info to add to this issue. I also know there's a lot to be learned.....but is the education worth the asking price?

Lets hear it.....what are the issues and reasonable costs?

I paid $6,000 for mine from Miracle Ear they are worth it if you want to hear

My insurance paid $5,000 I was only out a grand

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Go to Costco.Bought mine for $1500 for the pair.The rechargeable ones are double."

When did you buy them? I bought my rechargeable ReSound hearing aids in Aug 2019 and paid $2500. I had to pay $500 for the charger, Medicare & United Healthcare Med Advantage paid the rest.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.