Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Got a buddy with an ‘04 F-350 4wd single axle crew cab, that has a blown 6.0 that I could likely buy for a song. Question would be: do I get the 6.0 rebuilt ‘right’, or do I try to swap in a 6.8 gasser or 12/24 Valve Cummins and roll? I’m thinking I could do that and anything else it needs fixed, and still be in a good place, but not sure. Advice appreciated. Not set on anything yet....just know I’ll have the occasional need for 3/4-1 ton use that my 1st Gen tundra won’t handle, and it seems a possible way to get a good hauler 4wd without breaking the bank with prices these days.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a 6.0 that had most if the 6.0 stuff done at 100k miles. It’s at 183k miles now with no issues since. It’s mostly a run around truck, but routinely sees trailers with tractors, skid steers, loaded stock trailers, etc.

Bro in law has one as well, basically same mileage. His sees as much trailer duty as It does empty. He replaced the HPOP and had a local computer shop resolder his FICM and that’s about all he’s done to it drive train wise.

We both routinely do 500-1,000 mile one way trips.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swap in a Cummins

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Id do a good build on 6.0.......then you got a factory correct vehicle instead of a cobbled up mess , and still worth something if you decide to sell it

do head studs , delete the EGR , use CAT coolant right from the get go and you got a good rig

the 6.8 is a decent motor for gas , but it will suck alot of fuel and wont pull with a diesel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kill Devil Diesel or Asheville.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I guess that’s more what I was hoping.

I figure the V10 gasser is the cheaper, easy button......but was hoping the 6.0 could be turned into a really good motor, done/modded correctly.

I’ve looked at Kill Devil, and seems the sky is the limit for options with them and others. I just don’t know what’s a ‘need’ vs what’s far more than is truly necessary?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Deleted and bullet-proofed, they are supposed to be terrific engines.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Deleted and bullet-proofed, they are supposed to be terrific engines.

Heard that as well. Friend had one and it was magnificent for him on his hobby farm in TX. Pulled anything/everything. He loves it.

IIRC he said "I can put 3k in tot he engine and be solid or 3k into another brand for transmission fixes - 3k is 3k, I'll run the Ford"

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem with plowing money into the 6.0 is that it is still a 6.no in the eyes of a buyer, which diminishes the value of the truck relative to anything else. That may be ok with you but it should be considered in your decision, especially if you ever plan to sell.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
If I ever sold it in this scenario, it’d probably still be a deal.....6.0 or not....and the only reason I’m even looking sideways at a Ford: it’s not an F150, and it’s gonna be super cheap to get, or I won’t buy it to begin with. wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The leaf springs on the front end is the only negative with that truck. A blown up 6.0 engine might only be EGR and oil cooler problems or head gaskets at the most. I have a late mode 06 King Ranch F350 4x4 and bought it blown up. My son and I fixed all the known issues and it's been a good truck for me so far. Having to pay someone to fix the truck it might not be worth it to you. IDK

Last edited by TrueGrit; 04/21/21.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you go with a gasser you’re probably going to have to deal with the fuel system, wiring harness and ECM, motor mounts, and maybe the transmission. With a Cummins you’re probably looking at a lot of the same stuff needing messed with. I’ve never done it but it would seem like these things wouldn’t be compatible.

I’d guess that rebuilding and deleting the 6.0 would be the simplest plan. And I know a couple guys who have them that have a bunch of miles with no trouble after they “fixed” them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by K1500
The problem with plowing money into the 6.0 is that it is still a 6.no in the eyes of a buyer, which diminishes the value of the truck relative to anything else. That may be ok with you but it should be considered in your decision, especially if you ever plan to sell.

Not in my eyes, I'll take a chance on a 6.0Llong before the 6.4L. If the seller has documentation for a properly upgraded 6.0, it's worth a look and maybe a little extra money. When I was looking to upgrade from a regular cab 7.3L to a crew cab diesel I combed through a ton of 6.0 pickups. As long as stuff is well documented I'd not hesitate in the least if it was the pickup I wanted.

A lot were supposedly bulletproofed, but no documentation and I wasn't willing to take a chance. Really I was looking for a stock 6.0 to upgrade. However, I never found one that wasn't "bulletproofed" or running a tuner. Tuners really were the biggest issue, when you don't have a clue as to which tune was enjoyed the most.

Wound up going with an 06 LBZ Duramax, don't regret it in the least when it comes to the engine, transmission, or ride. The truck has some other minor issues that annoy, but aren't serious. It pulls better than my old 7.3L and fits the whole family.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Define bulletproofing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Define bulletproofing.

Term started with BulletProof Diesel and their oil cooler relocation as part of the process.

Biggies are:
Head studs.
Head Gaskets.
EGE delete.
Oil cooler (as mentioned above)
Blue spring fuel pressure upgrade
ELC coolant

Some will throw in bigger injectors, different turbos, upgrade some other internals and I’m sure several things I’m forgetting

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Define bulletproofing.

Term started with BulletProof Diesel and their oil cooler relocation as part of the process.

Biggies are:
Head studs.
Head Gaskets.
EGE delete.
ELC coolant

Some will throw in bigger injectors, different turbos, upgrade some other internals and I’m sure several things I’m forgetting

Almost got it, Bulletproof was a term coined by Bulletproof Diesel in AZ as mentioned.

It does include head studs (might as well replace gaskets at this time but not required) and oil cooler replacement. However, it is an EGR replacement cooler not delete as well as a FICIM upgrade and new waterpump to complete a Bulletproof engine.

Anything else isn't correcting the major failures in the 6.0L engine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Define bulletproofing.

Biggies are:
Head studs.
Head Gaskets.
EGE delete.
ELC coolant

Almost got it, Bulletproof was a term coined by Bulletproof Diesel in AZ as mentioned.

It does include head studs (might as well replace gaskets at this time but not required) and oil cooler replacement. However, it is an EGR replacement cooler not delete as well as a FICIM upgrade and new waterpump to complete a Bulletproof engine.

Anything else isn't correcting the major failures in the 6.0L engine.

No need to do the BPD EGR cooler if you don't have one....

(But you're right in everything you said)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trying to bullet proof a diesel is all and good, but if the driver can't read a pyrometer, it's all for naught.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look up Bill Hewitt on youtube

Powerstrokehelp

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
If the average driver NEEDS to read a pyrometer to own a diesel, then nobody would own any diesels. LOL

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 04/27/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.