Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is an interesting thread. I've contemplated the same question. I don't carry a .22 handgun too often, but if I ever had to get a snake before it got me at the lake, or it came down to the last resort of a dog attacking while I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I would want something that got the job done without freaking out the crowds. Seems every time some kid pops bubble wrap in my neighborhood someone is on the community Facebook page circling the wagons trying to cause chaos about "possible shots fired!" I saw the CB shorts on a shelf locally, but 29gr. vs. 40 grains of the Quiets makes me wonder if those CBs have what it takes.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
How quiet are they compared to CBs?

Honestly, my red ryder is louder than the CBs out of my Marlin 39 are.

Depends on the CB and barrel length. the shorter the barrel the louder they will be.
CCI's from a 24" barrel Remingtom 512 are very quiet,. The Remington CB's I bought were not quiet at all in comparison
No CB's are real quiet from a handgun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
This is an interesting thread. I've contemplated the same question. I don't carry a .22 handgun too often, but if I ever had to get a snake before it got me at the lake, or it came down to the last resort of a dog attacking while I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I would want something that got the job done without freaking out the crowds. Seems every time some kid pops bubble wrap in my neighborhood someone is on the community Facebook page circling the wagons trying to cause chaos about "possible shots fired!" I saw the CB shorts on a shelf locally, but 29gr. vs. 40 grains of the Quiets makes me wonder if those CBs have what it takes.

Shot loads are what you want for snakes. I’ve read a couple stories about snakes being almost shot to pieces with bullets and still hanging on. .22 shot puts them down pronto, up close, plus you don’t have to worry (much) about ricochets. Unless you think you can head-shoot them every time. Go with shot. The good news is that shot seems to be available pretty regularly.

If the neighbors ask if you heard that noise, say “Yeah, what was that anyway?”

Dogs? 9mm & up, though shot fired just in front of their feet might scare them away. Maybe a stun gun or pepper blaster.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw

Shot loads are what you want for snakes. I’ve read a couple stories about snakes being almost shot to pieces with bullets and still hanging on. .22 shot puts them down pronto, up close, plus you don’t have to worry (much) about ricochets. Unless you think you can head-shoot them every time. Go with shot. The good news is that shot seems to be available pretty regularly.

If the neighbors ask if you heard that noise, say “Yeah, what was that anyway?”

Dogs? 9mm & up, though shot fired just in front of their feet might scare them away. Maybe a stun gun or pepper blaster.

Yup. I've tested CCI, Federal and Winchester on cans and patterned them on paper bags at snek-bite range. They all perforated aluminum cans out to about 12ft and held nice dense patterns out to 8ft. The Federals and Winchesters seemed just a little more consistent with their star-crimped cartridges and a I believe they have a shot cup of sorts in them. The CCIs use the transparent blue shot capsules which might have messed with pattern density.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not exactly what you are asking about but, as a possible data point..

I very recently have had the opportunity to use the CCI quiets out of a bolt gun on ground squirrels to 45 yards and they do kill pretty well. 22" barrel, report about what a light pellet gun sounds like, or a loud hand clap.

From the same gun the CCI SV is more accurate, though louder. It also kills more efficiently.

Again same gun, the Rem SV is by far the loudest.

The one I'm very interested to try is the CCI quiet segmented round.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.