Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16032272 04/26/21
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Any of you guys tried the cci quiet-22 semi- auto rds? Function / accuracy?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve been shooting them in the yard out of my Marlin 39. At 25/30 yards they’re not bad. I was using the cci shorts but the accuracy wasn’t good out of the 39, Both are the 710 fps. Only reason I had either of them was the shorts I bought off GB for a price I couldn’t pass on. And the quiets are the only 22’s my local gun shop has, I’ve accumulated a little stash. I wound up selling and trading all my shorts.
I will say that they aren’t very powerful at 710 fps. But good enough for starlings.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought some from Academy as that is what they had. They will not operate the action on the 2 different 22 pistols I tried them in.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Using them in HK 270 with a can---very quiet but the gun doesn't cycle--picking tree rats off the bird feeder at 40 feet is a breeze

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quiets are not designed to cycle a semi auto. I have a few boxes that I picked up mostly as a novelty right before the panic buying started. Shot out of my Marlin 39 they’re pellet rifle quiet but obviously do not have much thump.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe there are more than one type of Quiet 22lr the ones I got yesterday are labeled Quiet-22 Semi-Auto 22lr rn 45 gr 835 fps. I put 10 in the mag of my 10/22. The first round stove piped the rest of the mag was fine. The cci sub -sonics are 1050 fps and the Remington ones are 1040 fps. Hope fully I can buy 2 more boxes today before they are gone. I'll give them a try in my mk2 Ruger also they are QUIET I imagine with a can all you hear is the bolt smacking the barrel face. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 04/27/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are. The ones you have ran well in my 10/22 CSC last time out, and shot well too, certainly good enough for most purposes. POI compared to other ammo is a crapshoot, but in my guns they landed very close to normal ammo’s POI, unlike the original Quiets, which generally hit lower. Need to try them in my Kadet2 unit for my CZ 75. IIRC, they also work in my Victory.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
He's talking about the newer cci quiets semi auto rounds fellas. I've tried them out of several semi guns....cycled in every one. I wish I could find them more easily. I bought a brick when they first came out and really havent seen them much since.

While I just plink with them or shoot a squirrel off the feeder, I've read reports of them shooting close to cci standards as far as accuracy and poi.

Last edited by killerv; 04/27/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Will do some accuracy testing side by side with cci sub -sonics and std velocity loads asap. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got a Ruger Wrangler that doesn't really shoot anywhere close to the sights with HiSpeed ammo, but hits reasonably close with regular Quiets. I save the Quiets for it, I've had them bounce off a coon's noggin a time or two, and won't use them for that purpose any more.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I put the target at 50 yds and shot 5 shot groups with my CZ453 HB and my HB 10/22. I shot the semi auto Quiets in an 1 1/4" out of the cz and about 2.5" in the 10/22 still with malfunctions. Remington sub sonic hp's gave 1" groups in both guns. I had a 1" group in the 10/22 with cci std velocity and the cz 453 gave a 5 shot group under 1/2". Cci sub-sonic hp's also gave 1" groups in both guns. I did find a box of the cci Quiet 40 gr with the 710 fps they grouped vertical spread of 2" way low. These were the ones Heavy load talked about. Nothing like finding out for your self. The sub Sonics were at 1050fps the std vel cci at 1070fps not much noise differance. The sa quiet and 710 quiets you could actually see the bullet and watch its trajectory. Neat but maybe as ratsmacker says they ain't up to coons a guy can see that. Mb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know midway sent me an email a couple days ago saying they had the 835 quiets in stock, but I passed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The quiet semi auto shoot good in all of my 22’s and yes there is quiet and quiet semiauto.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How quiet are they compared to CBs?

Honestly, my red ryder is louder than the CBs out of my Marlin 39 are.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Just a very little louder than CB's but way more accurate in my .22's. Haven't shot the quiets at 50 yards but they group into one ragged hole at 30 yards from both of my Marlin bolt action .22's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think it depends on barrel length. Perceived loudness of the Quiets vs. CB, from a 16" Savage Rascal, is very noticeable but I have never measured it. My preference is CB Longs, with CB Shorts being second choice for the Rascal. The CB Shorts shoot just as well, but foul the chamber which prevents Longs from chambering. Either way, they shoot great and are quiet.

The Quiets shoot well too, but are definitely louder. I don't know if they are hearing safe from a 16", but definitely have me more concerned than either CB. In a longer barrel, probably not an issue at all. That Rascal has been shot with a TON of CB ammo. One of my favorite firearms of all time, believe it or not. Same with my kids, even though they have access to various other firearms like a Charger, different 10/22, etc. They call the Rascal with CB ammo the "silent assassin".

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/02/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've just tried some of the 710 fps Quiet ammo, accurate at ten yards in my S&W 617 and not too loud, BB gun quiet in a rifle, seems like I read a disclaimer for barrels longer than 24" (?)

They ain't enough for groundhog (after popping one at 15 yards with the segmented version). I used CB Longs for years with pretty decent results for squirrels at closer ranges.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a few boxes and use them one at a time in my Marlin Model 60. They won't cycle it, but it's no problem to manually cycle it, especially the way I use the rounds. I put out bird seed about 35 yards from my house. I occasionally get a rat and I'm able to pick them off from my upstairs window using CCI Quiet 22 LRs. They are actually quieter than my Diana RWS Model 34 air rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 24" bbl note is to prevent bullets getting lodged in the bore. More friction and reduced velocity as the barrel gets longer.

If you want to get more killing power out of the Quiets, file the nose flat. Really smacks those tree rats.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I switch between the Aguila subsonics and CCI Quiets (40 gr each) in my 22/45 with a suppressor. I am starting to prefer the CCI's, as they cycle a bit better than the Aguilas, but when you're talking subsonics in a semi auto with a can, cycling is going to be hit or miss. The CCI's are plenty accurate and very quiet and clean.

Of course, they hit soft, but even with that they'll do a lot of damage at shorter (25-40 yards) ranges. I keep a few thousands around just cause they are fun and if the time comes when folks need to get their heads aerated with extreme stealth, these things will be very useful. I have shot them with the can in the house and my wife, who has ridiculously good hearing, had no idea from about 50 feet away (I wasn't shooting at her...)

CCI has the quiets in stock on their website at $5.99/50 with a 10 box limit, which isn't bad these days.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is an interesting thread. I've contemplated the same question. I don't carry a .22 handgun too often, but if I ever had to get a snake before it got me at the lake, or it came down to the last resort of a dog attacking while I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I would want something that got the job done without freaking out the crowds. Seems every time some kid pops bubble wrap in my neighborhood someone is on the community Facebook page circling the wagons trying to cause chaos about "possible shots fired!" I saw the CB shorts on a shelf locally, but 29gr. vs. 40 grains of the Quiets makes me wonder if those CBs have what it takes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depends on the CB and barrel length. the shorter the barrel the louder they will be.
CCI's from a 24" barrel Remingtom 512 are very quiet,. The Remington CB's I bought were not quiet at all in comparison
No CB's are real quiet from a handgun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw
This is an interesting thread. I've contemplated the same question. I don't carry a .22 handgun too often, but if I ever had to get a snake before it got me at the lake, or it came down to the last resort of a dog attacking while I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I would want something that got the job done without freaking out the crowds. Seems every time some kid pops bubble wrap in my neighborhood someone is on the community Facebook page circling the wagons trying to cause chaos about "possible shots fired!" I saw the CB shorts on a shelf locally, but 29gr. vs. 40 grains of the Quiets makes me wonder if those CBs have what it takes.

Shot loads are what you want for snakes. I’ve read a couple stories about snakes being almost shot to pieces with bullets and still hanging on. .22 shot puts them down pronto, up close, plus you don’t have to worry (much) about ricochets. Unless you think you can head-shoot them every time. Go with shot. The good news is that shot seems to be available pretty regularly.

If the neighbors ask if you heard that noise, say “Yeah, what was that anyway?”

Dogs? 9mm & up, though shot fired just in front of their feet might scare them away. Maybe a stun gun or pepper blaster.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by AZ Southpaw

Shot loads are what you want for snakes. I’ve read a couple stories about snakes being almost shot to pieces with bullets and still hanging on. .22 shot puts them down pronto, up close, plus you don’t have to worry (much) about ricochets. Unless you think you can head-shoot them every time. Go with shot. The good news is that shot seems to be available pretty regularly.

If the neighbors ask if you heard that noise, say “Yeah, what was that anyway?”

Dogs? 9mm & up, though shot fired just in front of their feet might scare them away. Maybe a stun gun or pepper blaster.

Yup. I've tested CCI, Federal and Winchester on cans and patterned them on paper bags at snek-bite range. They all perforated aluminum cans out to about 12ft and held nice dense patterns out to 8ft. The Federals and Winchesters seemed just a little more consistent with their star-crimped cartridges and a I believe they have a shot cup of sorts in them. The CCIs use the transparent blue shot capsules which might have messed with pattern density.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not exactly what you are asking about but, as a possible data point..

I very recently have had the opportunity to use the CCI quiets out of a bolt gun on ground squirrels to 45 yards and they do kill pretty well. 22" barrel, report about what a light pellet gun sounds like, or a loud hand clap.

From the same gun the CCI SV is more accurate, though louder. It also kills more efficiently.

Again same gun, the Rem SV is by far the loudest.

The one I'm very interested to try is the CCI quiet segmented round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
580 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.