Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Lastnight I put a Soderin diopter on my m96 Swedish mauser. I figure the rifle has proven to be an excellent shooter, so it deserves a better rear sight. I almost went with an Elit front and rear diopter set, but didnt want to shell out $400.00 on sights for the old girl. Anyone else use them? I prefer an aperture rear sight. And before you ask why? Its because I only use this rifle for my clubs military rifle shoots. Funny background story about this rifle. I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago. It was a friday. I had enough time to buy 3 boxes of factory ammo, a die set and bullets and take it to the range before the first shoot I took it to the next day (Saturday). It shot about a foot high, but was very accurate. I had to hold real low on the targets at the shoot, but managed to shoot in the high 90's. This was with handloads I threw together the night before. No load development or testing for accuracy. Didn't have time before the shoot, so I went in with a blind load, thinking it would work just fine. Keep in mind this was a new rifle, dies, and first time I'd loaded for a 6.5x55. Now that I've had more time with the rifle, I see its accuracy potential, and its impressive for an iron sight rifle. I've also replaced the front sight with a taller +1.5, to bring poi down to the center of the target at 100 yards. Some say by switching to a diopter sight, group size is generally reduced by 20-30%. Im excited to find out. These old rifles are a kick in the pants to shoot. Share your experience. Thanks

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been running and shooting vintage military shoots since the early 90's. of foreign the bolt actions the '96 swede is the best! the rifles are all in decent shape, the square post front is great, the trigger is great, PPYu ammo is good and handloading is easy.

I have one that is partially butcherized, it has the proper swedish Match sights, rear aperture, you called it diopter, and front aperture. But it is in what looks like a commercial aftermarket match rifle style stock that just does not fit, it needs to be reshaped to get the eye behind the rear sight, and I haven't gotten around to that project yet.

shoot good!

Poole

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even though the 96 already has IMO the best Mauser standard issue sights. I'd think a receiver type rear sight would provide even better accuracy.

While we're talking about 96 Mausers; maybe it doesn't apply to all 96s but the three I've owned, including my current one, are the smoothest, easiest cock on closing actions of any of the small ring Mausers I've shot. I think because of the centered guide lug the 96s seem to have a little less side play when cycling the bolt fast.

I like the 95 Lowe mfg. Chilean Mausers a lot and think they show a lot of old world quality too. I own an all matching # one that's in overall better condition than my 96 as far as metal & stock finish. Its a quality rifle but overall I'll take the Swede. As Sweden had the 96 designed for their own troops and not as an export maybe there was more thought put into it.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 04/27/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I've been running and shooting vintage military shoots since the early 90's. of foreign the bolt actions the '96 swede is the best! the rifles are all in decent shape, the square post front is great, the trigger is great, PPYu ammo is good and handloading is easy.

I have one that is partially butcherized, it has the proper swedish Match sights, rear aperture, you called it diopter, and front aperture. But it is in what looks like a commercial aftermarket match rifle style stock that just does not fit, it needs to be reshaped to get the eye behind the rear sight, and I haven't gotten around to that project yet.

shoot good!

Poole

Bill, is that a CG 63 Swedish target rifle. ? A guy at my club just bought one, but has not shot it in our shoots yet. Im really curious to see how accurate his rifle is. You are right about the swedish mausers being the best.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure mine is not a swedish stock such as a CG63 would have, I think it started life as a normal M96 with swedish sights added in sweden then imported and then some gun butcher in the US took it apart and threw away the proper M96 stock and metal parts (including the trigger, since it has a not quite fitting Timney on it now).

Poole

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
I'm pretty sure mine is not a swedish stock such as a CG63 would have, I think it started life as a normal M96 with swedish sights added in sweden then imported and then some gun butcher in the US took it apart and threw away the proper M96 stock and metal parts (including the trigger, since it has a not quite fitting Timney on it now).

Poole

Oh man, that is a shame. Here are some pics of the Soderin sight I installed lastnight. These used to be quite popular. I'm like 43 shooter and like the original sights that come on the m96, but for me, it's easier to keep a more consistent hold on the target with an aperture like this one. Now, when you put one on the front, that is really like cheating. Ha ha.. Eventually I'll put the front aperture on, when I come across one for a good price. Until then, I'll just use the taller blade on the front. Its been pretty good to me so far:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Also, I know I posted how the rifle shoots in the other m96 sights thread, but here it is again:
^^^These were my most recent groups I shot with the rifle when working on some loads for an up and coming military rifle shoot. Those Barnes match burners shoot very well. I have a load that I worked up with some 140gr. SMK bullets a few weeks ago that shoot equally as well. If I can keep 10 shots in the 10 ring at the next shoot I'll be pretty happy.

Like I said in the other thread, I had to install a taller (+1.5) front sight to get the poi down to center of the target at 100 yards. This was the first group I shot after changing the sight:

Then after that, I fired 10 off on target, just as I would in the military rifle shoot:

The new load with the Barnes and SMK shoot better, so hopefully it should score 100 in competition, if all goes well. I have high hopes for the new diopter sight helping, in that regard, as well. I'm surprised more people don't use these rifles with or without the diopter sights.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pulled the folding leaf and installed a NECG Ruger Peep Sight on the 6.5x55mm African.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

'Uge improvement.

GR

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Beautiful Ruger. Looks great with that sight. I had to order a taller front sight for the soderin rear to zero down to 100 yards. The +1.5 was just a hair too short. I took it out to the range last Friday to try it out. First shot was 4" above X-ring, I held lower for the next 3 shots and they grouped into less than 1/2", then I held another inch lower to take out the X-ring with my last shot. I really like the Soderin rear sight, seems like its going to do the trick. The front sight I ordered is the extra tall and should arrive Thursday (today) or tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out and hoping I don't have to dial it in on a shoot, if that is what the club decides the event for Saturday is.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Even though the 96 already has IMO the best Mauser standard issue sights. I'd think a receiver type rear sight would provide even better accuracy.

While we're talking about 96 Mausers; maybe it doesn't apply to all 96s but the three I've owned, including my current one, are the smoothest, easiest cock on closing actions of any of the small ring Mausers I've shot. I think because of the centered guide lug the 96s seem to have a little less side play when cycling the bolt fast.

I like the 95 Lowe mfg. Chilean Mausers a lot and think they show a lot of old world quality too. I own an all matching # one that's in overall better condition than my 96 as far as metal & stock finish. Its a quality rifle but overall I'll take the Swede. As Sweden had the 96 designed for their own troops and not as an export maybe there was more thought put into it.

I've eyeballed the m95 as well. Saw one 3 months ago when I was traveling to Winnemucca. It was a beautiful rifle in a gunshop along the way. It was hanging up on a rack and at first I thought it was a m96, but it was chambered for 7x57. They wanted $500.00 for it. It was a very clean rifle. Cleaner than my m96. I'd buy it if I thought it was going to be as accurate as the m96, but I'm doubting it would be. As for the cock on closing action of the m96, they are good, but the m1917 is smoother to me. From my experience. Where the Swedish mauser really shines is in how they shoot. Hands down some of the best damn shooting rifles out there. I was actually eyeballing a sporter done up by Kimber of Oregon this last weekend. Built on the m96. The rifling looked like new, but it was an original barrel, so I'm thinking it would be a great shooter. Barrel was cut down to 24" and the sights removed. Its a shame that a classic old military rifle was cut down to be made into a sporter, but it is what it is and I almost took it home with me. I'm sure that old rifle would shoot clover leafs with my handloads and a scope on it. I hate having rifles like that on my mind. If I get a wild hair, I may offer up a trade to the old guy that has it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally bought a front sight to go with the rear Soderin sight. I'm hoping it fits with little trouble. It is slightly different than the typical clamp on type front target sight:

Its coming from Sweden and is supposed to fit the m96 rifle. I should have it by the first week in October. I'm pretty excited about this front sight, as it will compliment the rear sight I bought a while back. I shot the rifle today with 2 different loads and it is still shooting pretty good, but I know it can be better with the new front sight.

Anyone else out there shooting their old m96 Swede's?

BSA MAGA
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks for an interesting Thread here! I'd not likely D&T any Model 96 receiver to accommodate a diopter sight. I did purchase a 1905 dated model with one. Also a 1944 dated Model D&T for one w/screws*.
Frankly, purchase of both, as 'occasioned' by happening on each, reflecting excellent all matching condition and 'at a price'. Oh my! smile A few 'Fire-limited' pix below! First 3 = 1905; latter 2 = 1944.
My feeling re several of the Swede model diopter sights available as too vertical and unhandy! I'm aware there are some that aren't. The diopter sight principle, great and useful. Just too many of these Swedes, need lightning arrestors included! smile smile smile!
Best!
John

*Previously informed exactly what sight required for such 1944 hole locations. Forgot. so if anyone with knowledge, please do share! smile

Attached Images
Swedish 96 1905.jpg (15.4 KB, 128 downloads)
SWED 96 MOD 1905 DIOPTER.jpg (22.63 KB, 126 downloads)
SWED 96 MOD 1905 FRONT SIGHT.jpg (19.31 KB, 128 downloads)
SWEDE 96 1944 NO AFT SIGHT.jpg (25.4 KB, 127 downloads)
SWEDE 96 1944 DTD.jpg (19.07 KB, 126 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 09/21/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Thanks for an interesting Thread here! I'd not likely D&T any Model 96 receiver to accommodate a diopter sight. I did purchase a 1905 dated model with one. Also a 1944 dated Model D&T for one w/screws*.
Frankly, purchase of both, as 'occasioned' by happening on each, reflecting excellent all matching condition and 'at a price'. Oh my! smile A few 'Fire-limited' pix below! First 3 = 1905; latter 2 = 1944.
My feeling re several of the Swede model diopter sights available as too vertical and unhandy! I'm aware there are some that aren't. The diopter sight principle, great and useful. Just too many of these Swedes, need lightning arrestors included! smile smile smile!
Best!
John

*Previously informed exactly what sight required for such 1944 hole locations. Forgot. so if anyone with knowledge, please do share! smile

Extremely nice rifles you have there John. I like them. I'm assuming your 1944 rifle is D&T for the rear aperture such as the one I have on my rifle. The Soderin rear sight was very popular back in its day and is one of the best rear diopter sights for this rifle in particular. I see you have a target sight on the front. Is it also an aperture style? All that rifle is missing is the proper rear sight. Thanks for sharing your rifles with us and adding to this thread. Do you know how they shoot, or are you just a collector of fine rifles?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't use that sight, but the 114 year old 6.5 x 55 Swede with it's original barrel is one of the most accurate arms in my safe.

1Minute
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey BSA! Just got through w/rendezvousing on the Win Rifles Forum re my 'ill placed diopter observations.' smile Thanks re my Swedes above. My 'holes' in the 1944 could well be Soderin... Or several of the other prominent Model 96 type commercial aftermarket sights. 'Bugger', they don't interchange! It's now missing the aft military barrel sight and need at least some sight; diopter preferably. Need to be certain!

There's an ancient GB Thread that quite possibly provides the info I need, just - for me - the "picture is worth thousand words" syndrome: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/which-rear-target-sight-diopter-screw-hole-pattern.61480/

I'll work it out!
Thanks!
Best!
John

smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't use that sight, but the 114 year old 6.5 x 55 Swede with it's original barrel is one of the most accurate arms in my safe.

Sometimes my rifle simply amazes me. I can see where your rifle would be the most accurate one in your safe. The Swedes really knew what they were doing when they built these rifles. The fast twist barrels were really ahead of their time too.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Hey BSA! Just got through w/rendezvousing on the Win Rifles Forum re my 'ill placed diopter observations.' smile Thanks re my Swedes above. My 'holes' in the 1944 could well be Soderin... Or several of the other prominent Model 96 type commercial aftermarket sights. 'Bugger', they don't interchange! It's now missing the aft military barrel sight and need at least some sight; diopter preferably. Need to be certain!

There's an ancient GB Thread that quite possibly provides the info I need, just - for me - the "picture is worth thousand words" syndrome: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/which-rear-target-sight-diopter-screw-hole-pattern.61480/

I'll work it out!
Thanks!
Best!
John

smile

I hope you get it figured out. That rifle is too pretty to be left incomplete. The FSR used a few Diopters, but the Soderin was one of the more popular ones made. Like you say though, there were others. This may be of some help to you:

BSA MAGA
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a sporterized 96 that wears a GF sight. Wonderfully light and accurate little rifle that could use a nicer looking stock.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hey BSA! Thanks for the chart info! Very large & easy to read! Just made for me! smile As noted I do suspect the proper stock for my 1944 Husqvarna, is the Söderin and now, according to you prescription, the opportunity for some precise measurements. The diagonal offering the best first step clue!
Mr. Z...
I'm also with a small cadre of milsurps which would benefit materially from new stocks. Most as I've frittered away some decades where costs, at least 'value added', breaking even. Nowadays, prices considerably higher for "real wood" as wide variety of 'out of box' composition models, rising to tough competition!
My adopted position, reflecting age if not wisdom smile. Someone else, more visionary or 'other', to take the helm as future owners. My significant number, ergonomic &/or aesthetic 'also ran' rifles, to be appreciated for what they yet are. Glass, half full! smile
I do both admire and respect your gunsmithing talents & knowledge! That as my own subject matter wisdom, competently understanding... Avoiding sharp tools lest I injure myself! smile smile smile

Again, or if not before, to emphasize a great Thread here & twith hanks for all the info contained!
Best!
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad I could be of help to you buddy. Now when you figure out which sight your rifle takes, I hope you can find one.. Sometimes the search is quite difficult. There are guys who live in Sweden that sell sights for these old rifles. You can find them on Ebay from time to time. Good luck with it..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I got my new front sight from Sweden. Poor bastids there can't read a mic I guess. Was way off on size. I figured those European sob's were more sophisticated than that. Goes to show there are dumb sob's all over the world.. I had to modify the front sight, but I think it will work. Hoping to get in some range time tomorrow after the USFS is done with our range.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.