Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Is there a big pressure wave which goes through the boat?

At some point part of the hull fails and now the outside pressure (hundreds of psi) is on the inside. Possibly isolated to one compartment at first, until something else fails. They always told us the residual diesel fumes in the air would immediately combust at a certain compression ratio but I don't know if that's true.
That's what happens in a diesel engine but the pressure to make it happen would likely have killed the men long before it happened. Engine combustion will happen at 3 to 400 psi.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Submariners are asked to do what others fear. I knew a couple fellows who were on nuke boats, enlisted, rateds and junior officers, all of them were just completely unflappable, like the calm before a storm in the worst possible storm. They were, of course, heavily tested and evaluated by the head-shrinks before, during and after sub training and service. They probably went bravely.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We used to do North Atlantic runs off of Murmansk in winter.We were there to listen to the screws of the Russian boats so we could ID each one.One time we sat at the bottom at 500 feet.The old pig boat I was on was groaning like an old whore from the pressure.I thought for sure we were going to bite the bullet.We had a Russian trawler ram our Sail.Looked like we just got out of a war when we pulled into New London.A different Navy then Service craft.I loved it.

Last edited by Huntz; 04/27/21.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
We used to do North Atlantic runs off of Murmansk in winter.We were there to listen to the screws of the Russian boats so we could ID each one.One time we sat at the bottom at 500 feet.The old pig boat I was on was groaning like an old whore from the pressure.I thought for sure we were going to bite the bullet.
What boat? Only one I can recall in the later '60s in CT. was the USS Bang.... If it was a 'thick-skinned' boat, crush was 600 w/o pressurization. If you were on a thin-skinner, then you hadda pressurize to stay intact - and I'm not even sure 500 was possible, but maybe so..

I was on Redfish when we had to do a dive to test depth.. Cap'n did it slow, about 50 feet at a time once we passed 300 or so.. I was in the after torp room and was watching the tubes and hatch pretty closely... But no issues - went to 412, stayed there for 30 mns and brought it back up..

Last edited by Redneck; 04/27/21.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Feel sorry for the crew. Third world countries really don’t need to be operating subs. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I spent a little over 25 years in the USN and you couldn't get me on a sub at gun point. No how, no way. I have the highest respect for those that can serve on them. I hope my nautical brothers from a different nation a peaceful eternity in Davy Jones Locker. Fair winds and following seas may they rest in peace.

I did one visit below decks on a sub, and when I saw how cramped were the quarters, and how the chow and other supplies were crammed into the torpedoes tubes, and in walkways below decks, I said no thanks, I'll do my thing in the air. Agree with respect for those who serve below the deep blue sea.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
650’ is 198 meters; so about 20 atmosphere.
FWIW

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The data I saw showed the boat had a test depth just shy of 600 ft and an estimated crush depth of 1500.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Huntz
We used to do North Atlantic runs off of Murmansk in winter.We were there to listen to the screws of the Russian boats so we could ID each one.One time we sat at the bottom at 500 feet.The old pig boat I was on was groaning like an old whore from the pressure.I thought for sure we were going to bite the bullet.
What boat? Only one I can recall in the later '60s in CT. was the USS Bang.... If it was a 'thick-skinned' boat, crush was 600 w/o pressurization. If you were on a thin-skinner, then you hadda pressurize to stay intact - and I'm not even sure 500 was possible, but maybe so..

I was on Redfish when we had to do a dive to test depth.. Cap'n did it slow, about 50 feet at a time once we passed 300 or so.. I was in the after torp room and was watching the tubes and hatch pretty closely... But no issues - went to 412, stayed there for 30 mns and brought it back up..

That was The Sea Robin(Boppin Robin)I was also on the Sablefish and Dogfish(Puppy Guppy)That was the deepest we ever went .The COB had told me how deep we had gone.Smoking light off and everyone was either laying down in bunks or in the mess hall or on station.We would snorkel at night to get fresh air and charge the batteries.Did that for two months.We spent 3 months in the yard before we went to get specialized Sonar for listening.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.