Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I went to one of the ranchs I regularly shoot yesterday, the owner asked me to stop in to see him on the way in because he wanted to show me a couple of fields that he wanted shot. When I showed up he handed me to bricks of 22 LR CCI Mini-Mag HP and told me that he had heard that 22 ammo was getting hard to find and he wanted to give me these to show his appreciation for helping hold down the ground squirrel ammo. I told him that I really appreciated being able to shoot there and that I had quite a bit of ammo but he insisted that I take it.
Not only was it a great day of shooting but I was shooting with some good free ammo - something really special in these days of shortages.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Sounds like you had a good day too! While they have not exactly been crawling up my pant leg here in Gem county there have been enough to get some fine shooting in. Yesterday took out my .17 Hornet, .17 Remington, .221 Fireball and .22 rimfire rifle and got plenty of action with them all. I wish that it was as much fun cleaning the guns and loading the ammo back up as it was shooting whistlepigs!

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes,food stamps, free section 8 housing, a forty oz malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordans and he'll vote Democrat for life.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I only used the 22 LR and a few shots from the 17HMR so no real cleaning chore, I had the 223 along but I was getting so many 50 - 150 yd shots that I didn't have to shoot it.
183 total from noon till 3:30 - not hot and heavy but for an early trip it was good enough.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I used to just take out my semi-custom 10/22 and a brick or more of .22 ammo and I was happy as could be. But, morbid as it might sound to some, it's a lot more fun for me to see those guts flying trough the air. My .17 Hornet and .221 Furball just make me giggle. My .17 Rem too but I do not need 4400 fps to kill a whistlepig so I load it down to .17 Hornet speeds or even a bit lower for my shooting pleasure. I get too many runners with rimfire ammo. Even my .17 HMR is not that reliable out past 150 yards. A body hit with a 20 grain Vmax at 3500 fps is pretty humane. Even more so when using the 40 grain pill in the .221 FB.

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes,food stamps, free section 8 housing, a forty oz malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordans and he'll vote Democrat for life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have to agree with Rustydust on this .. I used to love going with my buddies rock chuck hunting and making astronauts out of those critters with our 22-250's and other launch vehicles. Seems like some of them would get 20 feet of air with the right hit. Can't seem to get the same air time with the sage rats, but knocking them over as fast as you can find them and shoot at them is a kick in the butt all day long if you find a good field. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find good places these days and getting permission to hunt private property is getting tougher every day. I guess me and my buddy need to practice our puppy dog face when we walk up to doors to ask permission .

Heading out tomorrow to try to find some new places to hunt sage rats and coyotes. Probably going to put quite a few miles on the truck the next couple days.... if anyone has any leads to point us in the right direction in Oregon, let me know...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just spent a week in Crane where it was so blasted cold and windy that none but a few popped up. It was the most disappointing time I have ever had there. Now I'm in Montana where it's supposed to be rather warm for the rest of the week.
All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.
Then next week it's back to Crane for another 3-4 days.
So far a lot of driving on $3.50 fuel just to drop a rat but hey, it's what I do for fun.

Besides,I got three rifles that I haven't shot on this trip yet.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I went back to the same ranch yesterday, the temps were near perfect for gophers to be out but in 3 hours I only got 40. There were very few up and moving, they are doing their nesting/mating thing and so it will be slow for a couple of weeks until they get through with that and are back above ground and active again.

Good luck in Montana, my daughter lives in central MT and it has been cold and windy there also.

drover

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by drover
I went back to the same ranch yesterday, the temps were near perfect for gophers to be out but in 3 hours I only got 40. There were very few up and moving, they are doing their nesting/mating thing and so it will be slow for a couple of weeks until they get through with that and are back above ground and active again.

Good luck in Montana, my daughter lives in central MT and it has been cold and windy there also.

drover

I thought they did mating in March , went out to Emmett Id. near Firebird Raceway to do some load testing - big squirrels running around . Read somewhere that those are the males going den to den looking for love . Got my all-time best airtime that day 25-06 75gr. v-max at 50 yards .
When they get really rockin most of May I like sitting right in the middle of them with my fixed barrel Gamo CFX .177 ,9.3gr. RWS match flat-points . Have shot a 500ct. tin in one afternoon .
Seems like the louder cartridge you use the more they stay down altho at times they're coming out no matter what firepower you're using .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
We are quite a bit higher elevation here, the ranches I shoot are at 5500' to 6200', it is rare to even see them up here until toward the end of March and even then only a few. Boise country is quite a bit ahead of us for warmer weather.

drover

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was in Bonanza Oregon last week....was on a thousand acre field....noon to 5:30.... shot at 10 total.... hit 3...

most of the ones I did see were really small....the three I hit were really pregnant...

so I think their litters are late this year.... at least in that part of Klamath County....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got back from running all over southern Oregon from the California line to Lapine and only saw a few fields where many rats were up at all. Concluded we were a bit early even though the temps were in the 80's . The few fields we did see some activity in we would stop and they would keep running around until we got out of our truck, then they went down and wouldn't come back up at all... we'll go back in a few weeks and hope we don't have to fight off other rat hunters to find a place to shoot. We did see lots of rats running around chasing each other off their mounds and lots of obviously pregnant mommas, so they are dropping now or very soon... I think we only shot about six the whole three days, but found some new country we can knock on doors next time out....

Lots of other guys wandering around doing the same thing we were doing- looking for rats to shoot at.
We did see a few guys sitting beside the road with benches in the back of their truck shooting at sage rats, but they seemed to be locals who knew exactly where rats were up and not... saw a couple of very populated fields right behind no trespassing signs, so we said some adult words and moved on...

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 05/01/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

We are having cloudy, windy days here for the next couple of days but Wed is looking good so I will go check things out again, although I expect it will be another 10-12 days before they are up and moving very much.

I do about 90% of my shooting from inside the truck, the minute they see a person outside they truck they know something is up, which is odd because I have driven up to within 5 ft of them and they didn't move until they were in danger of being run over. It appears that they do not recognize a vehicle as a danger but the moment they spot someone outside of a vehicle they must think predator - Danger!

drover

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A dream come true!

Almost no one here will even let you shoot the chucks that are giving their soybeans and corn Hell and digging tractor-traps all over the fields. Guy at my barber shop was complaining about yotes killing his goats. Gave him my number; no cigar.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Was over around Summer lake and Paisley last week with my Grandson.

We spent two nights in Paisley, and didn't see but a very few sage rats.

Either we were too early or the recent fires had a big effect on the squirrel population.

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm back in Crane for the rest of the week and as far as today, the shooting was excellent. Four hundred rounds down the tube before noon. If this keeps up, I just might run out of ammo.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
They are still nesting here in central Idaho. I was out yesterday for three and one-half hours and got 112, better than last week but there still were not many up. Usually in that amount of time I would have shot 300 - 400 of them. Another week and they should be running all over the place.

drover

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in southwest Idaho they're out in full force. Big ones, little one and in between. We went out on Wednesday and shot 'em up good. We were out about four hours and only quit because it was getting late in the day.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was out the previous Thursday, and shot 3 squirrels in 6 hours...

was out this Thursday, and shot 120 rounds in 3 hours, killing about a 100...

they were little tho... each one I didn't explode, were 4 or 5 inches long at most...

This was down in Klamath County, out in Bonanza....

40 mph wind all after noon...

People who leave early are missing out....I find that the best time for high volume shooting at least here in South Central Oregon, is between
4PM to 6:30 PM.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just finished a week in Crane. Some good days and some sucked on account of the wind and low temps. The hay is getting high enough so that its mostly head shooting.
Seafire is right that good shooting is after four PM . Must be their dinner time or something..
I might be coming back for a couple days next month after first cutting comes off. It all depends on weather and money.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kenlguy: Snowed here on and off all day today!
Cold and wet - been a funny spring.
If you get back out this way check in and best of luck this spring/summer.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.