Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
“ I guess I got the best of both worlds with the Boykin that I had. She had tons of drive when training/hunting, but settled down nicely in the home. There is literally nothing that I would have changed about her.”

The shedding! I agree with all the rest. Mine are the same, lap dogs at home.... business in the field.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
English Cocker "Merlot"....They will even sit quiet in the field once they know they have a reason to do so. Take a line off his nose in the Deer blind, and it is not rare for a Deer to show itself relatively soon....He picked this one out at around 50 yards back in the wood and coming to the field.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 02/23/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are great little dogs but they are not a Lab... They are murder on doves and can handle limited water and cold - but it will stress them more.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
English Cocker "Merlot"....They will even sit quiet in the field once they know they have a reason to do so. Take a line off his nose in the Deer blind, and it is not rare for a Deer to show itself relatively soon....He picked this one out at around 50 yards back in the wood and coming to the field.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

This is one good boy, right here. The total package, starting with just pure “good boy”. I am proud to be his buddy! I didn’t know he can hunt deer too!!! laugh He is a true Renaissance Man! He truely is as neat as he looks!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yea, he has lined up more than one Deer. The local yard Deer give him an almost daily training session.

He took after a Doe this spring, but she had a fawn in the woods, and he shortly became the chased. Two circles in the back yard, her trying to stomp him and him squealing for mercy and finally deciding to use the open kitchen door.

Now it’s pretty much, there they are, take’em!!!!....😂

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Bought a Boykin 12 years ago as a two year-old that I never trained. But she flushed birds in the yard when younger and chased squirrels. She is very soft and wants to learn commands to please us. She sheds (a lot) and will eat anything. I would buy another: BUT check out your breeder carefully! She has exercise- induced collapse (thought she was hypoglycemic the first time it happened). When overheated/over exercised the rear legs stop working, and then she just falls over. When chasing her ball she will not stop.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Got a litter on the ground right now. Ready to go May 29th. Nine pups, two males not yet spoken for. Got our hands full, but they are fun!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
While looking for a Boykin a friend of mine that fosters rescue dogs go’s a 4 year old Boykin that someone had dumped over the fence of a shelter. He has a bad case of mange, heart worms and serious malnutrition. He still has 4 months left in his heart worm treatment so we have to keep him calm. I brought him home Thursday and we are trying to get him to get along with our Golden Retriever. He gets along fine with the Dachshund but seems to hate the Golden. His hair is slowly coming back and he already has a few basic commands. He really wants to please it seems. One thing I have found is that his poop is HUGE!

[Linked Image from ]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Anyone ever tried using them on rabbits?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Clintopher
Anyone ever tried using them on rabbits?

You could, in that they will smell them and bounce them out....but have yet to see any Spaniel stay on the track like a Beagle.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad was on the Boykin Spaniel Society Board of Director years ago in Camden. He had an excellent dove dog named Beau.
My Boykin Mad Max was his son and a better duck spaniel has not been whelped. He was retrieving both AL and NM mallards at
7 months-and never looked back.
Amazing retrievers but ducks and doves are their specialties. They are not goose or rabbit dogs.

With the right owner, they train themselves and want to please. The Boykins tend to be one-man dogs
and are very loyal to the family.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

If ever there ever was a dog that is an extension of ones self it's a Boykin.

Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Have you ever used them on ducks ?

My Brittany refuses to flush, and I have to flush - so if they are flushers, I’d be tickled pink...

Ducks are the new thing I go after so I’m wanting to cover that base.

In deep water Boykins are good swimmers and great boat dogs....in a flooded crop/stubble field a Lab reigns supreme because of their longer legs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 30 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.