Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Between my house and my dad’s, I cut around 9 acres. Mostly on hills. I am ready to step up to a commercial mower. I have Scag, Bad Boy, X-mark, John Deere, and Kubota dealers in my area so I would like to stick to one of these.

First question, are the 25hp diesels as powerful as the 35-37hp gas mowers? The diesels should have as much torque if not more than the gas engines.

Second question, which mower is best on hills, or which one has the best hydraulic system for steering.

I currently have a 54” residential Bad Boy and I am not impressed with the steering on hills. Do the commercial Bad Boy mowers have a better system? Bad Boy commercial mowers seems to be cheaper than the rest and look to be very well made but looks can be deceiving. Your thoughts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BIL just bought a Bad Boy. As I understand it, they include the better hydro transmissions in them at a lower price point. If you go by components, it would seem those Bad Boy mowers are a good buy.

Don't know anything about the motors, but damn...37HP in a zero turn. I have 22HP but I"m not climbing any serious hills.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/28/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Find a Grasshopper dealer .

B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks KFWA, I have heard that Bad Boy has stepped it up a lot since I bought mine, but then again my is not a commercial mower anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't have a zero turn but have a John Deere 445 and 455. The 455 is the same HP as the 445 but it's diesel. The diesel cuts thick grass at a higher speed than the gas. The torque makes the difference in them. I'd find a dealer that would let you try both versions out if possible.

IC B2

B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
We had some Grasshopper dealers but I think those dealers quit carrying them. Haven't heard any reasons why.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Buck2
Between my house and my dad’s, I cut around 9 acres. Mostly on hills. I am ready to step up to a commercial mower. I have Scag, Bad Boy, X-mark, John Deere, and Kubota dealers in my area so I would like to stick to one of these.

First question, are the 25hp diesels as powerful as the 35-37hp gas mowers? The diesels should have as much torque if not more than the gas engines.

Second question, which mower is best on hills, or which one has the best hydraulic system for steering.

I currently have a 54” residential Bad Boy and I am not impressed with the steering on hills. Do the commercial Bad Boy mowers have a better system? Bad Boy commercial mowers seems to be cheaper than the rest and look to be very well made but looks can be deceiving. Your thoughts.

I don't know what you want to spend but, this is what I did. I bought a used JD 1475 diesel 4wd w 72" four irons deck. The JD has a weight transfer system that allows it to climb the steepest hills. The mower can give a golf course cut at 14mph. Purchase price was $16,000.
John Deere 1575

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have hills, look at what tires come on them. You'll need some grip.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have a real hard time staying aboard my mower in my yard at 14mph.

Black Cows Matter!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Buck2

The diesel mowers are much heavier built and will hold up to more rugged use. Yes they have plenty of power. I have 26HP Kubota diesel mower and a LazerZ ExMark gas mower both zero turn

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way I understand it the heavier mowers handle the hills better. I have 2 Gravely ZT's, the heavier one definitely handles my hills better.

9 Acres is a bunch. I would go as wide as possible.

Black Cows Matter!
B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the responds so for. The hills that I live on are no problem to cut but you are constantly making a steering input, so it is hard on the steering system. I have already replaced one pump and the other will need it soon.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I'd have a real hard time staying aboard my mower in my yard at 14mph.
I hear ya - and it's hard to believe it can achieve a really good cut at that speed... Yowza...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Check out ventrac mowers when I make the leap it’s what I will be buying

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you have hills, look at what tires on them. You'll need some grip.

that's my next move for my mowers - get rid of those lawn tires and put on some tires that have some bite

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My 26 hp Kubota diesel never bogs down from any cutting I’ve done with it .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

HP isn't what keeps the blades turning in heavy cutting, it's torque and diesel motor excell in the torque department

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Buck2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

HP isn't what keeps the blades turning in heavy cutting, it's torque and diesel motor excell in the torque department

This is what I was thinking, but just wanted to verify it before spending the money.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've got a JD x495 with the Yanmar 24hp diesel motor. Its great.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We have a Kubota with a gas engine (27 hp, I think) and it works well. We only cut about 3 1/2 acres but it is rough and we only cut it every few weeks. The mower works well. I wanted the diesel model but the dealer talked me out of it but I can't remember he reason. If I were in your shoes, I would get the diesel if the price is not prohibitive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.