Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16036913 04/28/21
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I don't like using decoys as they are a pain if you have to move but desperate times call for desperate measures. Birds here are shutting down big time and a lot of Toms especially bigger ones don't even hardly respond to a call. Gobble and just move on. Going to try using two or three hen decoys this week to see if might get one to come in. Was just curious, I also have a jake decoy someone gave me and would it be a good idea to include it in my set up? I am an experience Turkey hunter except as I stated the unfrequent use of decoys.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't use a jake very often at all. I feel hen decoys work best for me and have seen sub dominate toms run from the jake decoys.
I have used them in TX with good success, but not so good of a result here in TN.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm the exact opposite of pullit. I use a jake decoy frequently and have never seen a sub dominate run from it. It's crazy, we have opposite experience from hunting the same sub-species within bordering states.

I always use decoys; time permitting. I want the approaching tom focused on the decoy(s), not scanning the woods looking for a hen, especially if I have to make some minor movements prior to a shot.

I generally use a jake facing a hen/facing the opposite direction that I anticipate the gobbler coming from. Usually the gobbler will attempt to circle and approach the jake face-to-face. This can be used to your advantage depending on the situation. It's not the ONLY way of doing things, just another means to an end.

Try both approaches see what works for you.

ETA: F'n birds are doing the same here and have all season. Gobble when they pitch-down and shut-up and won't gobble at all. Our season was late this year due to an unusually warm spring.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Birds be crazy and do stuff that make you say "WTH". I have seen gobblers act spooky around decoys, then again have had them come right up to them. Had a jake mount my hen decoy for about 5 minutes this year. There brain is about the size of a walnut and ours is the size of a grapefruit. Sometimes I think we over think things but I still can't figure them out.

Last edited by pullit; 04/29/21.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ll carry a hen decoy when taking my 15yo son to hunt. Otherwise I don’t use them

Not having one cost me a nice gobbler on Tuesday morning. He stepped into field and didn’t like the fact he couldn’t see the hen and I was a second too late getting the gun on him. With a decoy he is a dead bird and my season is over. But I don’t mind that

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
Birds be crazy and do stuff that make you say "WTH". I have seen gobblers act spooky around decoys, then again have had them come right up to them. Had a jake mount my hen decoy for about 5 minutes this year. There brain is about the size of a walnut and ours is the size of a grapefruit. Sometimes I think we over think things but I still can't figure them out.

You got that right.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do think decoys are better for field hunting than close quarters woods hunting

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bow hunt turkeys, and have arrowed about 35-40. I’ve progressed from cheap foam decoys to DSD decoys. I always use a half strut jake and 1-3 hens, usually one. When they decoy, the toms go to the jake, every time.

NRA Patron
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Best placement for turkey dekes is straight in the garbage can. Grown men don't play with dolls.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
This past weekend, in NW Illinois (Galena area), any decoy was a deterrent! Birds would come in, see the decoy(s) and turn around and leave so the decoys stayed behind after the first couple set-ups. Setting up inside the woods off a travelled field and having a tom search for the "hen", resulted in a very nice tom for me this time. I've had decoys work and not work, roll of the dice. I agree they're a pain sometimes, every time out is different.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 05/02/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There's a time in place for them and today was one of those times....Avion X Half strut Jake and 2 hens closed the deal this morning as I called in my cousins 1st turkey ever....without the decoys it wouldn't have happened

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Repeat performance this morning for me this time....Tom saw the decoys ran right into spread and started beating up the jake done deal at 6 am

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pictures of successful Turkey hunting. I have one question. Is the field you got your Turkey in full of rocks? Looks like river rocks. Maybe an old river bed?

Where I live, it is very rocky also, but mostly sandstone shale type rocks. Maybe the river bottom fields along the Yellowstone have rocks like that .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Nice pictures of successful Turkey hunting. I have one question. Is the field you got your Turkey in full of rocks? Looks like river rocks. Maybe an old river bed?

Where I live, it is very rocky also, but mostly sandstone shale type rocks. Maybe the river bottom fields along the Yellowstone have rocks like that .

No just a bunch of stones, never even noticed it....they just turned it over last week

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will sometimes use a hen decoy late in the season if the birds are not gobbling much. Last year three younger toms, but not jakes, came in to a series of yelps. They gobbled when they were still out of sight but then came in silently.

I usually put the hen facing where I think the birds will come from and to the left side of where I am sitting. On the three it worked and I don't think any of them looked at me at all when I was moving to mount and fire. As others have noted they don't use them all the time and neither do I.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
man the decoys are working for you for sure
Congrats

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Best placement for turkey dekes is straight in the garbage can. Grown men don't play with dolls.

Where's the like button ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are legal.
They are not for me.
Yes, I used them 20 years ago when they came out... I feel it somehow cheapens the hunt. Turkeys are not that hard to kill.
They are great if you need to put a child or someone new on a bird... Or, if you need to get your picture taken next to a dead bird.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I might use them on private land. But I was hunting public land when I first started trying decoys and had another hunter bumble through the woods, see my decoy, and raise and lower his shotgun at it several times in the span of about 7 seconds. When he shouldered his gun I yelled "don't shoot my decoy.," He almost schit his pants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 54 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.