Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mannyspd1

Hi DLA ,

As you probably know, recoil is subjective from shooter to shooter, with variables such as hand size, grip egonomics, experience, shooting technique, physical weight of the handgun and individual load in the firearm.

My experience is, myself, and many other shooters, can control a 9mm firearm quicker and more accurately compared to heavier calibers, if other variables such as the firearm remain consistent.

Obviously, as you mentioned, there is plenty of material previously written on this, and physics also tell us this. As a firearm instructor for about 22 years, and daily carrying 9mm, .38 special, 357 magnum, 40, 10mm, 45 acp, and 44 magnum over a period of 32 years as part of my job, I can tell you that generally, handguns that recoil less are quicker to shoot more accurately for most people. Not something I read somewhere, its my experience.

Your experience may be different, I dunno.

Not only your experience, but the plain old laws of physics. I never understood why some people think of this fact as a challenge to their manhood. It's just physics. Same with any mention of bore axis height being a factor. Folks go nuts.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

As an aside, I prefer a high capacity 9, as repeat shots are faster due to less recoil.

Only if you've actually measured it. Otherwise you are repeating a forum myth.
There are YouTube videos of folks testing followup shot time difference between 9mm and 40sw - no difference. I know there is no difference for me.

This oft-quoted piece of information only applies to new shooters. Like a typical FBI desk jockey.

Hi DLA ,

As you probably know, recoil is subjective from shooter to shooter, with variables such as hand size, grip egonomics, experience, shooting technique, physical weight of the handgun and individual load in the firearm.

My experience is, myself, and many other shooters, can control a 9mm firearm quicker and more accurately compared to heavier calibers, if other variables such as the firearm remain consistent.

Obviously, as you mentioned, there is plenty of material previously written on this, and physics also tell us this. As a firearm instructor for about 22 years, and daily carrying 9mm, .38 special, 357 magnum, 40, 10mm, 45 acp, and 44 magnum over a period of 32 years as part of my job, I can tell you that generally, handguns that recoil less are quicker to shoot more accurately for most people. Not something I read somewhere, its my experience.

Your experience may be different, I dunno.

But you didn't measure it.
You THINK recoil is the major factor in shooting fast, but with handgun cartridges up to 200 power factor that isn't true.
Measuring reduces the BS.

Now with brand new shooters who are struggling with grip, stance, etc., recoil is a big factor.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Not only your experience, but the plain old laws of physics. I never understood why some people think of this fact as a challenge to their manhood. It's just physics. Same with any mention of bore axis height being a factor. Folks go nuts.

Time yourself, then post.

If the laws of physics was all there was to fast follow-up shots, you'd have a point. But you either didn't think this through before posting, or you've never timed yourself (or both).

People repeat the same old forum myths never questioning their validity. This is one of those myths that is complete bullshit.

But hey, you have a high post count so you must be right.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fubarski
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
That's it. This is the same discussion gun nuts have been having since around 1912...this is just in a different wrapper.

I've been saying it for over 20 years now... It just doesn't matter.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla

Time yourself, then post.

If the laws of physics was all there was to fast follow-up shots, you'd have a point. But you either didn't think this through before posting, or you've never timed yourself (or both).

People repeat the same old forum myths never questioning their validity. This is one of those myths that is complete bullshit.

But hey, you have a high post count so you must be right.....

Another BS myth is that 4" revolvers kick harder than 7 1/2" revolver. I guess they think the increased velocity adds nothing to recoil

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
There are YouTube videos of folks testing followup shot time difference between 9mm and 40sw - no difference. I know there is no difference for me.

This oft-quoted piece of information only applies to new shooters. Like a typical FBI desk jockey.

Seems like accuracy, not pure speed, is a major factor in determining positive outcomes, i.e. other guy down, good guy still standing. So I'm curious if you've seen the majority of folks shoot just as accurately with heavier recoiling pistols when firing shots at the same speed?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by dla

Seems like accuracy, not pure speed, is a major factor in determining positive outcomes, i.e. other guy down, good guy still standing. So I'm curious if you've seen the majority of folks shoot just as accurately with heavier recoiling pistols when firing shots at the same speed?

Are we talking heavier recoiling pistols (485Linebaugh) or common defensive cartridges none of which have heavy recoil

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, that would be a bit of argumentum ad absurdum, but to clarify, let's limit the discussion to semi-auto pistols firing .380 ACP on the low end through 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 10mm, and those in standard or compact pistols of a size that allows the average person to grasp with all three lower fingers, i.e. no super tiny subcompacts.

I'm not trying to ask any leading questions here nor propagate a preconceived notion. I'm simply asking if the middle 80% of the bell curve of shooters with some training - not first time noobs nor super dedicated pistoleros who expend 1000+ rounds per month - can shoot just as accurately with each of those chamberings when squeezing the trigger at the same rate.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, that would be a bit of argumentum ad absurdum, but to clarify, let's limit the discussion to semi-ato pistols firing .380 ACP on the low end through 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 10mm.

The discussion really focusses on 9mm versus 40sw, since the "faster followup shot" proclamation is what 9mm fans make to justify their position.

Some really smart people determined a long time ago that all things were pretty equal up to 200 power factor.

My position is that a moderately experienced shooter, (not a noob), will run a 40sw as fast as 9mm. Now if your last name is Miculek, then there will be a real difference, but if you are the average competent shooter - no difference.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Well, that would be a bit of argumentum ad absurdum, but to clarify, let's limit the discussion to semi-auto pistols firing .380 ACP on the low end through 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and 10mm, and those in standard or compact pistols of a size that allows the average person to grasp with all three lower fingers, i.e. no super tiny subcompacts.

I'm not trying to ask any leading questions here nor propagate a preconceived notion. I'm simply asking if the middle 80% of the bell curve of shooters with some training - not first time noobs nor super dedicated pistoleros who expend 1000+ rounds per month - can shoot just as accurately with each of those chamberings when squeezing the trigger at the same rate.

All service type pistols are not heavy kickers. TRH is always downing the Sig P320 because of its high bore axis. Yet when Bluedreau shot it against a timer he found his times were the same as with a lower bore axis pistol. Blue is a highly accomplished shooter.
For an average shooter there may be some difference but I think it will be rather close

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe a YouTuber named Colion Noir has a video of him shooting 9mm vs 45acp(?) as fast as he can and keep accuracy. Short answer is he did better with 9mm.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by leomort
I believe a YouTuber named Colion Noir has a video of him shooting 9mm vs 45acp(?) as fast as he can and keep accuracy. Short answer is he did better with 9mm.

How much better? Power lever of the ammo used ie +P or standard pressure

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi jwp475,

I found the video. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GDFrki0T9o&t=43s

Let me know what you think.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He's shooting the 45 fast that’s for sure, maybe too fast

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I believe a YouTuber named Colion Noir has a video of him shooting 9mm vs 45acp(?) as fast as he can and keep accuracy. Short answer is he did better with 9mm. [/[img]http://https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM[/img]

https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM

He is using a 45ACP

Last edited by jwp475; 04/28/21.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul Harrell (in my opinion one of the best out there) has clearly demonstrated no speed advantage the smaller 9 has against a 40 or even a 45. He even proved it with a 38 special and a 44 Mag revolver.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

There's some BS going on by those who claim they time the same, with the same accuracy. They might be slowing up a little with the 9mm in order to support their argument. I've been an avid handgunner since 1980, and shooting a Glock 17 then a Glock 22, I can definitely tell the difference. If I wanted to blast away at the same speed, I could, but not with the same accuracy level.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

There's some BS going on by those who claim they time the same, with the same accuracy. They might be slowing up a little with the 9mm in order to support their argument. I've been an avid handgunner since 1980, and shooting a Glock 17 then a Glock 22, I can definitely tell the difference. If I wanted to blast away at the same speed, I could, but not with the same accuracy level.

Image result for jerry miculek speed shooting world record revolver
Miculek is widely regarded as the fastest and most proficient all-around speed and competition shooter in the world, emptying a five-shot revolver in 0.57 seconds in a group the size of a playing card, thus often being dubbed "The Greatest Shooter of all Time".

Image result for jerry miculek speed shooting world record revolver
Miculek is widely regarded as the fastest and most proficient all-around speed and competition shooter in the world, emptying a five-shot revolver in 0.57 seconds in a group the size of a playing card, thus often being dubbed "The Greatest Shooter of all Time".

https://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM

With a 45 ACP

Last edited by jwp475; 04/28/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is Jerry Miculek using full powder loads? Or is he doing what those cowboy action shooters doing by shooting water-down mouse fart 38spec loads?

I've also shoot 44mag as well as 38special. I don't need a timer to know which one most shooters are going to shooter faster and more accurately.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 54 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.