Print Thread
Hop To
P
PAndy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
If someone is dumb enough to ship me primers without haz mat permits at his end, is there any risk to me (other than the primers not arriving)? Everything I read is about regulations for the shipper, but I don't know what the deal is for the receiver.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a darn good question and appropriately phrased. I don't know the answer but am interested in what those that do have to say.
Rex

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would think it would be on the shipper not on you, but I don't know that.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am very sure it is on the shipper.. I asked the post office about someone shipping ammo, and was told it is up to the shipped to make sure it was shipped legally..(I was shipped loaded ammo through the post office many years ago) I never bought anymore from that seller.. I don't have his address anymore so don't bother reporting me , it was over 40 years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would think if you knowingly receive illegally shipped items from someone you have some exposure.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I would think if you knowingly receive illegally shipped items from someone you have some exposure.

But to "knowingly receive" primers shipped to you could simply mean the primers you ordered showed up at your door with no HAZMAT markings. At that point, you open the box, see they are the primers you ordered, and note there was no HAZMAT protocols followed. What then?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So all someone has to do is ship some using someone else's name and address, and Postal Inspectors will be showing up on their door step instead...

maybe something to do to the democRAT up the street?

Asking for a friend of course...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

But to "knowingly receive" primers shipped to you could simply mean the primers you ordered showed up at your door with no HAZMAT markings. At that point, you open the box, see they are the primers you ordered, and note there was no HAZMAT protocols followed. What then?

Start reloading.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The receiver has no control over what the shipper does. None. Therefore, the receiver cannot be held legally liable for the actions of the shipper.

All he need say for a defense is, "The shipper told me he was going to ship it Hazmat. How could I know he was lying?"

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
The receiver has no control over what the shipper does. None. Therefore, the receiver cannot be held legally liable for the actions of the shipper.

All he need say for a defense is, "The shipper told me he was going to ship it Hazmat. How could I know he was lying?"

Actually, he doesn't have to say anything in his defense. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. His innocence is presumed, until proven otherwise.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WMR

Actually, he doesn't have to say anything in his defense. The burden of proof is on the prosecution. His innocence is presumed, until proven otherwise.

Obviously, in a court of law, the receiver doesn't have to say anything in his own defense. I was simply illustrating how the receiver cannot be held legally liable for the actions of the shipper.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR

Obviously, in a court of law, the receiver doesn't have to say anything in his own defense. I was simply illustrating how the receiver cannot be held legally liable for the actions of the shipper.

10-4. I agree. Just wanted to remind folks that the investigating officer is not the one you need to convince, The jury is. Investigators are looking to make arrests. Perhaps especially now in a gun related issue. One might want to keep his yap shut, as what you say will most definitely be " used against you".

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Who knows what is in the box? The shipper has to make that disclosure. Are you thinking that the carrier might open your box along the way. I don't think so. Once it arrives at your door, the door is shut as far as I am concerned - no pun itended.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

10-4. I agree. Just wanted to remind folks that the investigating officer is not the one you need to convince, The jury is. Investigators are looking to make arrests. Perhaps especially now in a gun related issue. One might want to keep his yap shut, as what you say will most definitely be " used against you".

An arrest for what exactly?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Do most of you guys have a cop sitting at your house watching you open the mail?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It happened to me once, I just kept my mouth shut and nothing came about it.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Nothing, in this case. Just meant as a general rule in interactions with LEO. Was a general reference, not referring to this case. I can see why it might look otherwise. Sorry if I mislead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dassa
Do most of you guys have a cop sitting at your house watching you open the mail?

For 38 years and two children, now.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by dassa

For 38 years and two children, now.

laugh

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Nothing, in this case. Just meant as a general rule in interactions with LEO. Was a general reference, not referring to this case. I can see why it might look otherwise. Sorry if I mislead.

I savvy. Have a good one.

GB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.