Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
This has been bugging me for a while. mad

A Central Edmonton gun shop just north of Stony Plain Road has implemented security rules since Covid19 that I just can't comply with, so I no longer shop there. I have bought a lot of gun related products, ammunition, reloading supplies and tools, and a significant number of guns from them, but I just can no longer give them my business.

The requirement, which was introduced some months ago, is in response to Alberta and Edmonton mandatory mask requirements while in businesses, and many other publicly accessible indoor places.

This Gun Shop's requirement, which is entirely of their own creation, is that customers who enter the store must stand 3 feet away while facing a wall-mounted, eye-level security camera. They must then lower their mask and allow their face to be photographed.

For a while they suggested that they were doing this because the City of Edmonton, Alberta Government, Edmonton Police Service, and the RCMP required it. But that simply was not true, and those claims no longer appear on their Home Page. However, the facial photographing demand is still in force, and IS still described on their Home Page.

The problem is that only they are demanding this, as far as I am aware of, and that there is no legal requirement that mandates it. Edmonton Cabelas has no such requirement, and I shopped at their store wearing a wide-brimmed hat and mask recently. Nobody said anything, even when I paid cash for a couple of gun cases and some gun cleaning supplies and declined to give my postal code to them.

The other problem is that NO PAL and NO identification is required to buy gun cases, reloading supplies and tools, gun cleaning supplies, rifle scopes and a bunch of other things, so why do they need to record a mug shot of every person entering their store?

I have no problem lowering my mask to allow a gun shop to compare it to the photograph on my PAL if I buy guns, ammunition, primers and other PAL items.

However, I won't submit to having a close-up mug shot photograph taken, just to walk into a store.
Or, just in order to purchase items that anyone can buy without even possessing a PAL.

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/29/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only reason I can see is that they are scared about not being able to identify someone who robs the place or shoplifts. Hell, if I can walk into a jewelry store or the bank with a mask, I don't see the point of them having customers stand in front of a camera.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve seen a lot of goofy stuff on the streets in that neighborhood over the years.
It’s a pity that it’s come to this.
Do you have something that needs to be hidden ? Do they compare your mugshot to your PAL picture ?
I agree that it could be seen as an intrusion, but perhaps it helps mgmt screen out “problem” individuals.
Unlicensed, or infected, someone with a grudge. That area of Edmonton has all those in abundance.
In my view, it’s Not worth getting wrapped around the axle about.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I agree it's partly about shoplifting and even robbery concerns.

Still, you can't demand that all of your customers submit to having a close-up mug shot taken just for the privilege of walking into your store, and then expect that everyone is just going to meekly accept it.

Something else to consider is that by saving close-up mug shots of people who have done nothing wrong, you create a handy-dandy little database for police to use.

Cross-matched with Drivers Licenses and Provincial I.D. card photographs using the same biometric software, they can identify every person who enters that store from these close-up photographs.

And since I am not a criminal, I object to being "carded" by any means just because I walked into a gun shop to buy a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I’ve seen a lot of goofy stuff on the streets in that neighborhood over the years.
It’s a pity that it’s come to this.
Do you have something that needs to be hidden ? Do they compare your mugshot to your PAL picture ?
I agree that it could be seen as an intrusion, but perhaps it helps mgmt screen out “problem” individuals.
Unlicensed, or infected, someone with a grudge. That area of Edmonton has all those in abundance.
In my view, it’s Not worth getting wrapped around the axle about.

I certainly have nothing to hide. Funny you should ask such a question.
Your casual attitude makes you sound like a police officer when you do.

And being forced to submit to having your mug shot taken does not SEEM like an intrusion. It most certainly IS an intrusion.

Police Logic: "if you have nothing to hide then why do you object if we search you, or your house, garage, or car without a warrant?"

Actually, they did me a favor. Thanks to them I joined the 21st Century.

Instead of patronizing this Central Edmonton gun shop, I started mail ordering my supplies and ammo by on-line shopping. The shipping is often no more than the gas that I burned to drive there and back.

And, I don't have to fight my way in and out of Edmonton traffic, and add wear and tear to my vehicle. I just buy what I need from the comfort of my own home in a few minutes from any one of many gun shops in Canada.

As for firearms, I just expanded my shopping radius to Red Deer, Lloydminster, Calgary, and many others. Some I can drive to and others I just do mail order.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a cop, thanks, but several friends over the years have been serving members.

That shop has had a lot of issues with street people, so I’m not adverse to them being screened out at the door.
If That is the price of my freedom, I’ll pay it. Annoying yes, but ultimately helps to keep costs down.

Don’t forget Bashaw Sports for a smaller Center shopping experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think PR in Lloyd has a similar door cam entry setup.

Similar street security issues, different city.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Not a cop, thanks, but several friends over the years have been serving members.

That shop has had a lot of issues with street people, so I’m not adverse to them being screened out at the door.
If That is the price of my freedom, I’ll pay it. Annoying yes, but ultimately helps to keep costs down.

Don’t forget Bashaw Sports for a smaller Center shopping experience.

I never saw any street people in that shop, or around that shop, ever, any time I visited, and I had been in that shop many times in the last few years.

That block is adjacent to old apartment buildings on the North end.
But the avenue in front of it is constantly being obstructed with new condo apartment building construction. To the east and west it is surrounded by larger businesses for several blocks.

Not exactly an area that street people would bother with. I would suggest that your claim that street people are a problem there is not true. They are found in the Boyle Street area, which is over a mile to the west.

Why not try trolling elsewhere?

Been to Bashaw Sports many times and bought several guns there, thanks.

No street people there either. laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
NDPdon

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I think PR in Lloyd has a similar door cam entry setup.

Similar street security issues, different city.

Total B.S. An absolute lie. They have no street security issues whatsoever.

Like I said, why not try trolling elsewhere?

Lloydminster is too small and too decentralized of a rural city to have any street people problem anyway.

I have been to Prophet River Guns in Lloydminster several times and bought a few guns from them as well. They have no such camera set-up and no requirement for customers to submit to mug shots when they enter.

That seems to be strictly the requirement of the aforementioned gun shop in Edmonton.

P.R. is located on the main street which is the dividing line between Alberta and Sakatchewan. Many large businesses on both sides of the street.

A very nice little city that I would not mind moving too.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Edmonton is full of Liberals

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
Edmonton is full of Liberals

Sorry troll-boy. Try harder. laugh

Canadian Gun Nutz loves trolls like you. Why not stick to that forum? laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never been on any thing to do with my nuts. But I will stick yours in your throat.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Whoop whoo, bad assed bohunk.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
You know, speaking about the Prophet River Gun Shop, I had another look at their inventory.

I think that I will buy that Taylors & Company 1866 Sporting Rifle after all.

It's expensive but I can afford it.

And the 150 mile drive down would be glorious on a warm Spring day.

It's a great gun shop with a great selection of guns that you can't find anywhere else in Alberta, or Canada for that matter.

Best of all, no mandatory mug shots before you can enter.

P&D can cater to the sheeples who like having mug shots taken.

But, I won't be shopping there again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was disappointed to find that 2 more gun shops in Lloyd had Closed up when I last passed through this winter.

No Internet presence didn’t help with either one.

I’m thinking low res security cameras aren’t going to be sufficient for a retailer handling restricted goods,
Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was disappointed to find that 2 more gun shops in Lloyd had Closed up when I last passed through this winter.

I’m thinking low res security cameras aren’t going to be sufficient for a retailer handling restricted goods,
Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/30/21.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

The fact that there were other gun shops (apart from Canadian Tire) in Lloydminster surprised me. They had not turned up in any Internet searches at all.

But, I did a different search and found 2 still hanging on, and one that went out of business in 2018. (Magnum Guns)

Wildside Outdoors and Shep's Sport Center are the other two. Both are very small.
I will have to check them out.

Considering that Lloydminster is an isolated rural municipality with a population of only 30,000 people, it is more of a town than a city.

How more than one or two gun shops could stay in business in a town that size is beyond me. But, it probably has to do with the popularity of hunting in that area.

However, with Covid19 and people losing their jobs because of it, it could only hurt tiny shops like this and make it even harder for them to survive.

Camrose, with a population less than 19,000 people had only one gun shop a few years ago and it didn't last long, even before Covid19. Whenever I visited it, I was the only one there.
-----
As for security cameras in a gun shop, I have no problems with that. Security cameras are everywhere in businesses today.

However, I have yet to find a single business anywhere that demands that you remove your medical mask and submit to mug shots at 3 feet away as a condition of shopping there.

Considering that no other gun shop anywhere asks customers to do this, it obviously is not a legal requirement for selling restricted firearms.

It is only when you BUY firearms, ammunition, primers or powder that a gun shop needs to look at your PAL, and to then see your full face to match it to the picture.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlegun

Just Sayin.

Enjoy your drive 😀

The fact that there were other gun shops (apart from Canadian Tire) in Lloydminster surprised me. They had not turned up in any Internet searches at all.

But, I did a different search and found 2 still hanging on, and one that went out of business in 2018. (Magnum Guns)

Wildside Outdoors and Shep's Sport Center are the other two. Both are very small.
I will have to check them out.

Considering that Lloydminster is an isolated rural municipality with a population of only 30,000 people, it is more of a town than a city.

How more than one or two gun shops could stay in business in a town that size is beyond me. But, it probably has to do with the popularity of hunting in that area.

However, with Covid19 and people losing their jobs because of it, it could only hurt tiny shops like this and make it even harder for them to survive.

Camrose, with a population less than 19,000 people had only one gun shop a few years ago and it didn't last long, even before Covid19. Whenever I visited it, I was the only one there.
-----
As for security cameras in a gun shop, I have no problems with that. Security cameras are everywhere in businesses today.

However, I have yet to find a single business anywhere that demands that you remove your medical mask and submit to mug shots at 3 feet away as a condition of shopping there.

Considering that no other gun shop anywhere asks customers to do this, it obviously is not a legal requirement for selling restricted firearms.

It is only when you BUY firearms, ammunition, primers or powder that a gun shop needs to look at your PAL, and to then see your full face to match it to the picture.

A photo ID is required at Costco to permit entrance to shop. Do you shop at Costco?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dont have a problem with removing my mask for a photo.
If I did I wouldn't shop there, so why do you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.