Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by saddlegun
This has been bugging me for a while. mad

A Central Edmonton gun shop just north of Stony Plain Road has implemented security rules since Covid19 that I just can't comply with, so I no longer shop there. I have bought a lot of gun related products, ammunition, reloading supplies and tools, and a significant number of guns from them, but I just can no longer give them my business.

The requirement, which was introduced some months ago, is in response to Alberta and Edmonton mandatory mask requirements while in businesses, and many other publicly accessible indoor places.

This Gun Shop's requirement, which is entirely of their own creation, is that customers who enter the store must stand 3 feet away while facing a wall-mounted, eye-level security camera. They must then lower their mask and allow their face to be photographed.

For a while they suggested that they were doing this because the City of Edmonton, Alberta Government, Edmonton Police Service, and the RCMP required it. But that simply was not true, and those claims no longer appear on their Home Page. However, the facial photographing demand is still in force, and IS still described on their Home Page.

The problem is that only they are demanding this, as far as I am aware of, and that there is no legal requirement that mandates it. Edmonton Cabelas has no such requirement, and I shopped at their store wearing a wide-brimmed hat and mask recently. Nobody said anything, even when I paid cash for a couple of gun cases and some gun cleaning supplies and declined to give my postal code to them.

The other problem is that NO PAL and NO identification is required to buy gun cases, reloading supplies and tools, gun cleaning supplies, rifle scopes and a bunch of other things, so why do they need to record a mug shot of every person entering their store?

I have no problem lowering my mask to allow a gun shop to compare it to the photograph on my PAL if I buy guns, ammunition, primers and other PAL items.

However, I won't submit to having a close-up mug shot photograph taken, just to walk into a store.
Or, just in order to purchase items that anyone can buy without even possessing a PAL.

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Im with you, I would take my business elsewhere. When a Canadian comes across the land border now on their return from the US they have to stand in front of a camera and read a statement saying they will follow all the rules.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
I dont have a problem with removing my mask for a photo.
If I did I wouldn't shop there, so why do you?

Since you live in British Columbia, which is a considerable distance away, I would question how often that you would actually be able to visit P&D?

But it is your choice. If you wish to be a sheeple and meekly submit to a mug shot as a condition of just entering their store, that's up to you. However, I wonder how many of our freedom-loving American friends here on the 24 Hour Campfire would do it, and how many others would boycott the store instead?

I am not a criminal. I will not register my mug shot with P&D every time that I visit their store just to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

Since you will, I don't know whether we should be disgusted by you, or simply pity you.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Saddlegun, we’re you once known as Gulo? Why did you change handles? We all know who the real troll is, don’t we.

You should try to be more pleasant, we are all entitled to our opinions. At least be respectful when you troll. I did see you bait the other forums with the Ben &Jerry ice cream dialogue.

Glad you can afford the gun at Prophet River, now go get it and post some pictures of it.

Have a nice day,
Nick

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

Since you live in British Columbia, which is a considerable distance away, I would question how often that you would actually be able to visit P&D?

But it is your choice. If you wish to be a sheeple and meekly submit to a mug shot as a condition of just entering their store, that's up to you. However, I wonder how many of our freedom-loving American friends here on the 24 Hour Campfire would do it, and how many others would boycott the store instead?

I am not a criminal. I will not register my mug shot with P&D every time that I visit their store just to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

Since you will, I don't know whether we should be disgusted by you, or simply pity you.

Maybe they dont want their customer's wearing a disguise.
Speaking of trolls...you call saskfox a troll, but really your a pos.
The Canadian hunting/shooting forums have been ruined because of trolls like you.....probably are Gulo...pos.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I deal with Prophet River now more than any other store. The main reason is they are really good to deal with, and I find some really unusual hard to find rifles there. My last purchase was a Left hand Montana stainless XAR in 308. Clay is a very knowledgable guy, and the importing side of their business is nice.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This has been bugging me for a while. mad

A Central Edmonton gun shop just north of Stony Plain Road has implemented security rules since Covid19 that I just can't comply with, so I no longer shop there. I have bought a lot of gun related products, ammunition, reloading supplies and tools, and a significant number of guns from them, but I just can no longer give them my business.

The requirement, which was introduced some months ago, is in response to Alberta and Edmonton mandatory mask requirements while in businesses, and many other publicly accessible indoor places.

This Gun Shop's requirement, which is entirely of their own creation, is that customers who enter the store must stand 3 feet away while facing a wall-mounted, eye-level security camera. They must then lower their mask and allow their face to be photographed.

For a while they suggested that they were doing this because the City of Edmonton, Alberta Government, Edmonton Police Service, and the RCMP required it. But that simply was not true, and those claims no longer appear on their Home Page. However, the facial photographing demand is still in force, and IS still described on their Home Page.

The problem is that only they are demanding this, as far as I am aware of, and that there is no legal requirement that mandates it. Edmonton Cabelas has no such requirement, and I shopped at their store wearing a wide-brimmed hat and mask recently. Nobody said anything, even when I paid cash for a couple of gun cases and some gun cleaning supplies and declined to give my postal code to them.

The other problem is that NO PAL and NO identification is required to buy gun cases, reloading supplies and tools, gun cleaning supplies, rifle scopes and a bunch of other things, so why do they need to record a mug shot of every person entering their store?

I have no problem lowering my mask to allow a gun shop to compare it to the photograph on my PAL if I buy guns, ammunition, primers and other PAL items.

However, I won't submit to having a close-up mug shot photograph taken, just to walk into a store.
Or, just in order to purchase items that anyone can buy without even possessing a PAL.

HELL NO!

What do you think?

Their store, Their rules

Along with their in house registration log when purchasing a firearm.

My Money, I chose where to spend it.

I haven't been in their place of business since 2013.

Prophet River and Bashaw are my go to places

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Nick1899
Saddlegun, we’re you once known as Gulo? Why did you change handles? We all know who the real troll is, don’t we.

You should try to be more pleasant, we are all entitled to our opinions. At least be respectful when you troll. I did see you bait the other forums with the Ben &Jerry ice cream dialogue.

Glad you can afford the gun at Prophet River, now go get it and post some pictures of it.

Have a nice day,
Nick

(sigh....)

1) Nope, never been a member before.
2) Don't know who the hell your friend Gulo is.
3) And yes, we all know that the real troll is you.

The issue here is this.

Do you want to stand 3 feet from a camera and pose for a mug shot as a condition of entering a gun shop just to buy targets, zipper gun cases, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9?

I don't. I am not a criminal and I am not a sheeple.

If you are a sheeple, then please free to meekly submit.

I won't, and I can and will boycott P&D and shop elsewhere.

Last edited by saddlegun; 04/30/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Local Cdn tire now has security gate at either end of gun aisle.
Signage Which mentions PAL requirements etc.

Authorized sales pers are more than happy to let you look closer once your PAL has been validated, and after your purchase it will be authenticated.

Blame it on Blair !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Maybe they dont want their customer's wearing a disguise.
Speaking of trolls...you call saskfox a troll, but really your a pos.
The Canadian hunting/shooting forums have been ruined because of trolls like you.....probably are Gulo...pos.

You are entitled to your opinions, even though they are absolutely false.

However, despite your attempts at distraction and deflection, the subject here is still the mug shot policy that P&D forces it's customers to submit to.

I will not meekly submit to standing 3 feet away from a camera to have my mug shot taken as a condition of entering a gun shop in order to buy targets, a zipper gun case, or a bottle of Hoppe's #9.

I suppose that the difference between us as Canadians, and our freedom-loving American friends is that they would protest loud and long about it and boycott this store.

Meanwhile, it appears that many Canadians would rather meekly submit to anything, rather than say anything, or do anything.

Perhaps that is why we have so many draconian anti-gun laws and a Liberal government bent on stripping us of the right to own firearms at all.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't let the local grumps get you down, saddlegun. smile The ignore button is a great feature. Put them on ignore.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saddle guy - I feel your pain.

Surrendering your image to a high res camera database of customer images is a slippery slope.
They should be required to give you the option of retaining or deleting your image on departure.
It’s Your image !
As you have stated earlier, a HiRes image could be cross-referenced with several govt image databases for all sorts of purposes.

On the other hand, normal security footage from a network of lower res security cameras isn’t much of a deterrent.

I think it’s probably more about the tactical elitism , and Police mindset of Prohibition that pervades that establishment.
I find as time goes on that I shop there less and less for that and other reasons.

Enjoy your 1866, Post pics !

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Local Cdn tire now has security gate at either end of gun aisle.
Signage Which mentions PAL requirements etc.

Authorized sales pers are more than happy to let you look closer once your PAL has been validated, and after your purchase it will be authenticated.

Blame it on Blair !

I went to the Camrose Canadian Tire to look at guns, once.

The process was so slow and cumbersome just to find a staff member with keys, and to actually even to get to look at their guns that I gave up on them. I still shop at Canadian Tire stores, like everyone else, but I never bother with any of their gun sales departments.

Fortunately, I don't have to. There are plenty of other fine gun shops that I can buy from that don't make looking at a gun a major headache.

Some shops ask to look at your PAL before allowing you to handle a gun, but that's not unreasonable.

But, I haven't encountered even one besides P&D who demand that you stand and pose for a mug shot, just to enter the shop.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reminds me of screening when entering the restricted access office areas at the RCMP.
Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about. Intimidating though.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but I believe that Shep’s Sports in Lloyd,Sk has closed.
He was pushing 80, time to do other things. Good Guy

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Let me get this straight Steve, saddlegun asks for opinions of a situation he feels is unacceptable and when people respond differently to his way of thinking he is vile and insults them. Then when I call him out for this you come in and support his vile behaviour. And I am the grump? You have a very twisted thought process Steve. Please, put me on ignore, I’m not going to be offended by the likes of you and of the company you keep for doing this.

My post calling out Saddlegun for his trolling was not threatening or in any way in bad taste. I didn’t insult him. If you ask for opinions, thank the people responding and move on, even if you disagree with it. But what do I know Steve, I’m a grump by your definition.

Again, place me on ignore Steve, I certainly don’t need your approval in calling out those that have no manners.

Cheers,
Nick

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by yukon254
I deal with Prophet River now more than any other store. The main reason is they are really good to deal with, and I find some really unusual hard to find rifles there. My last purchase was a Left hand Montana stainless XAR in 308. Clay is a very knowledgable guy, and the importing side of their business is nice.

Have never dealt there myself but know of several people that have. They have all been very pleased.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Don't let the local grumps get you down, saddlegun. smile The ignore button is a great feature. Put them on ignore.

Thanks for your support.

But hey, all that their silly troll attempts to bicker, deflect, and distract from the P&D mug shot issue accomplishes is to create more interest in the subject.
------
As Flyer01 said:

Their store, Their rules.
My money, I choose where to spend it.
-----
I say:

I choose to not submit meekly.
I choose to say so in no uncertain terms.
and
I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
-----

No other gun shop has this policy in Alberta that I am aware of.

Not Cabelas.
Not Bashaw Sports.
Not Prophet River in Lloydminster.
Not Wolverine G&T in Red Deer.
Not any gun shop that I know of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought he was trying to label me as grumpy !

I’d like to know where all these great gun shops in Alberta, and Sk are located.
With 2 adolescent boys, I have a few requirements that need filling 😎

Without breaking the bank Of course, Ha

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Nick1899
Let me get this straight Steve, saddlegun asks for opinions of a situation he feels is unacceptable and when people respond differently to his way of thinking he is vile and insults them. Then when I call him out for this you come in and support his vile behaviour. And I am the grump? You have a very twisted thought process Steve. Please, put me on ignore, I’m not going to be offended by the likes of you and of the company you keep for doing this.

My post calling out Saddlegun for his trolling was not threatening or in any way in bad taste. I didn’t insult him. If you ask for opinions, thank the people responding and move on, even if you disagree with it. But what do I know Steve, I’m a grump by your definition.

Again, place me on ignore Steve, I certainly don’t need your approval in calling out those that have no manners.

Cheers,
Nick

Yup, definitely grumpy.

Everyone who disagrees with him must be a vile and insulting troll.
Even Steve, who is one of the most respectful and respected members here, as we all know.

However, despite these attempts to defame, deflect, distract, discredit, and derail the thread, the issue is still P&D and their mug shot policy.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Between you and me, this happens a lot around here. I don't know if it's COVID, the time of year or being tired, old men. laugh

Some come back "reincarnated", but carry on the same way as before they were "reborn". smile

Be Well.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Darn, Steve still hasn’t put me on ignore. On a lighter note for great videos go to The European you tube. Now he is a clever and hilarious man. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Nick

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.