Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello all, i had mentioned in the past few months about looking for a .416 or .375 to get into the big bore game, specifically a new winchester 70, but was having trouble finding one. I finally found one and posted about it on here a while back looking for ammo and such, anyways i figured id go ahead and post a pic of it.

Win 70 Alaskan .375 H&H with a steiner gs3 2-10x42...it was NIB and according to Winchester was one of the last made in the US before assembly was moved to Portugal. I ended up finding 3 boxes of armscor 300 grain nosler accubonds loaded in norma brass, and also acquired everything else needed for reloading.

So far ive put 35 rounds thru it, from sticks and on a lead sled. This is the biggest rifle ive shot..i normally shoot a .30-06 or .264 wm..and i must say the recoil is not bad at all, almost not worth mentioning. I was very suprised. 2 of the groups i shot from the lead sled were less than 3/4 inch (3 shot grp) which is more than adequate imo. Also did some rapid fire off sticks and no feeding issues yet.

Very pleased with this rifle so far!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 375 H&H is a real peach, as is your rifle!

Thanks for sharing this. Looks great to me!

BTW, nice range! smile

Regards, Guy

Last edited by Cascade; 04/30/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool rifle!

I have the Stainless/Synthetic M70 with a Zeiss Diavari 3-9. I too was surprised at both how accurate it is and how it didnt recoil like I thought. I load the Nosler 260s and also had a buddy give me a box of Barnes 210s. The Barnes 210s and Reloader 15 were super accurate. Used them to kill some whitetails just to bloody the rifle. Bang-flops.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Absolutely excellent.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks yall!

Beretta - i wish i could have gotten my hands on that model, but those as well as the stainless laminate model seem to command a premium these days...i do like the look of the blued and wood tho..i figure ill use this one as is, and if it ends up gettin rusty ill just get it cerakoted.
The recoil reminds me of my duck gun, maybe thats why it doesnt seem bad to me as i shoot shotguns alot..the recoil impulse was very similar.
Those 210s sound interesting, as i do have some reloder 15...for now i have some 300 grain norma oryx to try out, but first i gotta shoot these other 25 rounds so i can reuse the brass and start some testing

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congrats JonnyGumbo, I think that you will love it. I bought my first .375 H&H around ‘82, after wanting one for about 15 years, very similar (mine’s a New Haven) to yours. Though mine has been retired to “safe queen” status, I love that rifle! You may find yourself retiring all of your other big game rifles, using this one exclusively.....until you start hunting in the mountains! Ask me how I know! grin

Are those Pecan trees in the background? As a kid, I picked up quite a few pounds of pecans to by my first centerfire rifle! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/30/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb
Congrats JonnyGumbo, I think that you will love it. I bought my first .375 H&H around ‘82, after wanting one for about 15 years, very similar (mine’s a New Haven) to yours. Though mine has been retired to “safe queen” status, I love that rifle! You may find yourself retiring all of your other big game rifles, using this one exclusively.....until you start hunting in the mountains! Ask me how I know! grin

Are those Pecan trees in the background? As a kid, I picked up quite a few pounds of pecans to by my first centerfire rifle! memtb

I picked up a bunch of pecans to buy my first shotgun, a Model 12.

No pecans for this one, but as someone posted, they are accurate. Chopped to 21" and fluted helped with what I thought was an overly heavy 24" barrel. This one balances and handles great. Old style M-70 trigger tuned to a crisp 3#'s.

CEB Raptor seemed to be a good one for this gun. Haven't killed anything yet with this combo. Too many projects, not enough time. It should whack about anything I'd be hunting.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/30/21.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
memtb - thanks! Cant wait to try it out on something, and yep those are pecan trees

dirtfarmer- that is one sweet looking (and shooting) rig! Looks like a dream to carry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my 375, though I have not gotten the accuracy Dirt Farmer has with is. I got a pile of 375 bullets waiting for fair weather and some time on the bench.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I love my 375, though I have not gotten the accuracy Dirt Farmer has with is. I got a pile of 375 bullets waiting for fair weather and some time on the bench.

Those kinda groups can be bit of a fluke. Now, it’ll shoot that bullet into some tight groups but not that many “trophy” groups we shooters like to show. And just three bullet holes. But I was pleased. CEB bullets are expensive but they are great.

It does balance and carry a lot better than before the barrel “surgery”.

I’m not a Tupperware fan, but this stock has grown on me. It’s shape is about ideal. I did jerk out the hot glue looking bedding, Steel Bedded it. Don’t have to worry about scratches.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My old Model 70 is a shooter! When developing loads for a Hornady 270 SP, using WW760, the groups got smaller with each step-up in charge. After 20 rounds, I had to drive home, load 20 and return to range. With daylight fading, I was hurrying through the 5 shot groups.....4 close together and open the group with the 5th. On the 8th group of the day (40 rounds), with the highest powder charge, and the sun just below the horizon......the first 4 rounds went under 1/2” with the 5th in a different orbit! I wasn’t too concerned about the 5th.....it only holds 4 fully loaded! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not easy maintaining bench rest precision, multiple rounds with a big boomer. .375 not big as some but big enough to be a nuisance off a bench. Three’s enough. At least for me. Those ten round purists can come sit in for me. I’ll spot.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a great looking rifle. I have it's twin in a lefty and love it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice wood. I like your scope.

DF

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
470Evans - nice looking rifle! i like how that front sling stud is set up

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a nice 375 H&H Model 70, and sold it:

It had a Douglas barrel, pretty danged nice stock, custom scope mounts set up for Talley QR rings, etc... Great rifle, but I just wasn't using it, so off it went.

These days i still have a 375 H&H Ruger Number One, with which I've shot three black bears. smile It worked just great using the 260 gr Noser Accubond at about 2650 fps.

Love a good 375 H&H rifle! I think the OP is in for a world of great shooting and hunting with his. smile

Regards, Guy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.375 H&H is a great round, has stood the test of time and is very versatile.

That M-70 did have a nice piece of wood. But that #! is no slouch...

You have any pet loads you'd like to share?

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DF,
You have posted before but I can’t recall - who fluted your 375 - was it Kampfeld?
Thx.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
DF,
You have posted before but I can’t recall - who fluted your 375 - was it Kampfeld?
Thx.

Yep.

Karl does great work. He can do the chop, the sights, can build a complete rifle.

I had a master gunsmith bragging on Karl's fluting. To me that'a a real complement, when one smith brags on another. And the smith I'm talking about is well known here on the Fire.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
More pictures of Karl's work on my .375. His spacing of each groove was pretty neat.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JonnyGumbo
Hello all, i had mentioned in the past few months about looking for a .416 or .375 to get into the big bore game, specifically a new winchester 70, but was having trouble finding one. I finally found one and posted about it on here a while back looking for ammo and such, anyways i figured id go ahead and post a pic of it.

Win 70 Alaskan .375 H&H with a steiner gs3 2-10x42...it was NIB and according to Winchester was one of the last made in the US before assembly was moved to Portugal. I ended up finding 3 boxes of armscor 300 grain nosler accubonds loaded in norma brass, and also acquired everything else needed for reloading.

So far ive put 35 rounds thru it, from sticks and on a lead sled. This is the biggest rifle ive shot..i normally shoot a .30-06 or .264 wm..and i must say the recoil is not bad at all, almost not worth mentioning. I was very suprised. 2 of the groups i shot from the lead sled were less than 3/4 inch (3 shot grp) which is more than adequate imo. Also did some rapid fire off sticks and no feeding issues yet.

Very pleased with this rifle so far!

Now that rates a Two-Cool!

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice rifle Jonny!

Uh, 470, let me know when you are tired of yours. I've only encountered a precious few LH 375s I'd want and never with the means to acquire them. Now.....

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
"So far ive put 35 rounds thru it, from sticks and on a lead sled. This is the biggest rifle ive shot..i normally shoot a .30-06 or .264 wm..and i must say the recoil is not bad at all, almost not worth mentioning."

This is yet another great thing about the 375. It will take care of the task at hand without kicking you into next week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my 375 and the versatility it offers. Only complaint is that mine is a Kimber Talkeetna and full house 300gr loads of buck quite a bit.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My friend is more of a 416 guy, and has many. Here's one he asked me to sell. I'll pout it up in the classifieds. It's a pristine Empire in 416 Rigby.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post my foto

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You'll come to love the 375. I have two a Pre64 M70 and a Ruger #1. I have managed to work up a light load using a 225gr flat nose pistol bullet (I think thats the bullet weight but memory is a fickle thing and I'm to dam lazy to go downstairs and look). It feels like your shooting a 243 and will flatten a deer. congrats again on your new rifle, it will become a favorite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
345 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.