-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Maybe we haven't watched it in a while but one of the reasons we got it was no commercials? We were watching a documentary on the First World War last night and ended up turning it off because of commercials.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Content presented directly by Prime has no commercials. However, Prime also acts as a gateway to other streaming services. Some of them, such as IMDB TV, offer free content WITH commercials.

Last edited by natman; 05/01/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There really ain’t nothing on TV worth watching anymore. I turn on the local news long enough to catch the weather, and watch a few sit-com reruns and old westerns, but for the most part I don’t pay much attention.
The commercials are either stupid or woke or both! I swear that if you lived in a cave and knew nothing except commercials, you would think this country was 75% black and 15% Asian.
Other than here and Free Republic, I don’t even use much computer time, especially since it’s warming up.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. Gay black Asian. Once in a while they include white people but they always have kids and it's showing the kids mostly.

Its ridiculous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. When cable TV was first marketed, one of the major draws was no commercials. Our monthly fees were paying the bills. Boy, did that fall by the wayside. Although I'm pretty much passing on network news now, it seems about 40% of their half hour is devoted to commercials. I need to secure a stopwatch and get some actual data.

Would like to see a return to the days when a single product sponsored a show. One sees a run of 6 or 7 products in every segment now. It's extremely rare for a commercial to steer my purchasing direction. I discover a need or want, research the products, and make my own decisions. Have not had need for meds or a lawyer anyway.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't subscribe to any tv service. I have an antenna for local weather which I mostly get from an app anyway. I stopped watching TV 5 yrs ago and have never missed it. Especially since all the shows seem to glorify NAPA's, gays, and liberal ideology... But then again I am an avid reader & love working in the shop or taking apart and cleaning my guns. Life is too precious to waste away being brainwashed by the ole boob-tube!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't watch network TV anymore. Period.

Even cable channels that have commercials, I record on the DVR and zoom through the commercials.

From what I do see of the commercials, if you were like Rip Van Winkle and woke up to watch TV, you'd think you were in deepest, darkest Africa, rather than the U.S. ...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Commercials are the reason I stopped watching TV about 20 years ago. I’ll occasionally stream or rent a movie but that’s about it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1minute

It's extremely rare for a commercial to steer my purchasing direction.

Same here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Joe Namath as a spokesperson doesn't get it done.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. When cable TV was first marketed, one of the major draws was no commercials. Our monthly fees were paying the bills. Boy, did that fall by the wayside. Although I'm pretty much passing on network news now, it seems about 40% of their half hour is devoted to commercials. I need to secure a stopwatch and get some actual data.

Would like to see a return to the days when a single product sponsored a show. One sees a run of 6 or 7 products in every segment now. It's extremely rare for a commercial to steer my purchasing direction. I discover a need or want, research the products, and make my own decisions. Have not had need for meds or a lawyer anyway.

When and where did you have cable TV with no commercials?

We first got cable around '83 and it always had commercials except when you paid for the premium channels, which in 83 were: HBO, Cinamax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Disney Channel.

There is about 8-10 minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show and about 15-20 minutes in a 60 minute program.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.