Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16037752 04/28/21
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thinking about grabbing a single six 22 as my first handgun. I’ve heard that they have decent accuracy although reports vary. I’m curious if newer ones are likely to be more accurate, as with Ruger’s rifles. I’m not looking for a precision instrument, however - just something fun and accurate enough that I can learn to be a decent shot with it.

Also, I’m leaning towards the 4 inch barrel. Seems more handy for a gun I’d like to carry on the trail someday. Am I giving up much with a shorter barrel?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Perfect gun for what you describe.
Cant comment on the newer vs older models but doubt you’ll be disappointed with the accuracy either way.

Only downside is they’ll only last about a bajillion rounds

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are accurate enough, but sometimes a bit harder to wring out accuracy for some folks.

Learn it, hit with it & you'll be way ahead when it comes to hitting with handguns.

And yes, they are likely as dependable & long lasting as a handgun can be.

Don't be concerned at barrel length at first. As my eyes aged I thought I needed a 6.5" over my preferred 5.5". As it turned out, a 4.625" has become my favorite.

Don't sweat it. Get one, have fun!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had 3 of them. One was a 9.5” none of them were accurate enough for me. I suggest checking out any of the Ruger mark series. I have a mark 2, 3, & a 4, all accurate. And lots of aftermarket accessories if wanted.
Or a Browning buckmark. Had one of those once, still regret selling it. It was very accurate.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Ruger Bearcat might be a great option for your needs.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a Single Six Hunter that has given me everything I need / want accuracy wise. I use it for squirrel hunting, with only the factory open sights, and have taken more than I can count. It doesn’t mind Federal Bulk for plinking, but it hates the Remington bulk box stuff. I hunt with CCI Velocitors out of it and they do extremely well.

When the leaves start to fall, we use crab apples as little “reactive targets”. It turns into friendly competition as we slowly get further and further away. The Hunter does have a decent amount of weight to it, with a 7.5” barrel, but I don’t mind in the least and don’t think twice about it when carrying it in the field. Though, for your application, a shorter barrel makes more sense.

Here is one I took. If I recall correctly, it was just over 20 steps to get to him.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I’ve had 3 of them. One was a 9.5” none of them were accurate enough for me. I suggest checking out any of the Ruger mark series. I have a mark 2, 3, & a 4, all accurate. And lots of aftermarket accessories if wanted.
Or a Browning buckmark. Had one of those once, still regret selling it. It was very accurate.

This. While my Single Six is not inaccurate, for accurate find a MK-something with a target barrel.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you get, a good .22 handgun is one of the best investments you can make, just like a good .22 rifle. Many now just jump right in with a CF, but recoil and noise can interfere with you figuring out what you’re doing wrong, and right.

One of the best parts is that all that ammo that failed to perform for you in your rifles will be just fine for most purposes in a handgun.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As a first handgun, I'd stay with the 6 5" barrel. A lot easier to shoot well than a shorter one. No sense getting frustrated early on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 6.5" has always been accurate enough for my purposes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No question about it, the Single Six is a first rate .22 revolver, and even the crappy one's are minute of a bunny's head at 25 yards. I have always had the convertibles and the .22 mag cylinders always seem to be the best shooters. But I've never missed anything with a Single Six that was the revolvers fault!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to go wrong buying a Ruger Single-Six.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks guys, I am gonna go for it. When I find one, I'll pick one up, either with the 4.62 or 5.50 inch barrel length.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Single-Six is never a mistake.

I had the 4.62" 22lr/22wmr long ago, regret letting it go.

Now I have a 6.5" 22lr/22wmr. I don't have any complaints about the accuracy, but my 22/45 Target does beat it a bit.

25 yards, standing, modified Weaver,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Now I have a 6.5" 22lr/22wmr. I don't have any complaints about the accuracy, but my 22/45 Target does beat it a bit.

The problem with convertibles is there's a difference in bullet diameter between the two cartridges so the barrel has to have a 'compromise' bore diameter to shoot both. Generally, it turns out that the .22lr won't shoot as well as the magnum in these guns. If smaller groups give you the warm fuzzies get one or the other. If you need a utilitarian revolver that covers a lot of tasks, get the convertible.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I learned to shoot handguns with a single six.

I shot 300 to 500 rounds through my fist 3 screw single six, every weekend for about 10 years.

Nothing like lots of rimfire shooting to sharpen hand-eye coordination.

It had a 6-1/2" barrel. Have owned three screw single sixes in 4-5/8" 5-1/2" 6-1/2" and 9" barrel lengths.

My all time favorite was the 4-5/8" which I regretfully sold recently.

Have been thinking I "need" one of the new Wranglers, especially since they come with the 4-5/8" barrel.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The problem with convertibles is there's a difference in bullet diameter between the two cartridges so the barrel has to have a 'compromise' bore diameter to shoot both. Generally, it turns out that the .22lr won't shoot as well as the magnum in these guns. If smaller groups give you the warm fuzzies get one or the other. If you need a utilitarian revolver that covers a lot of tasks, get the convertible.

Correct, though I am not sure the bore size of convertibles are a compromise. I believe it is sized for the larger .22 Mag, so .22 LRs generally aren't optimal in the convertibles. I bought a convertible as a trap gun a few months back and honestly, I am not even comfortable shooting cats in a trap at 5-10 feet with the only brand of .22 LR I have tried (Aguila) thus far. Maybe CCIs, American Eagle or whatever else would be better. Time will tell I guess.

A few different brands of .22 Mag are plenty accurate through it though.

I see you have the standard cylinder in there MontanaMarine. What brand of .22 LR did you shoot that group with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 1957-58 three-screw Single Six has a adjustable rear sight and just assumed that the Single Six always had adjustable sights. Wrong. A New Model Single-Six is available with a integral rear sight.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/specSheets/0629.html

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Went to the local gun store, no single-sixes, as expected. They did have a wrangler in black cerakote. The availability combined with the vastly cheaper price is awfully tempting. I think I will stay strong and hold out for the right single six when it comes along. It wouldn't take too much convincing to make me go for the wrangler, though...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is a 6.5" from the 70's and it's accuracy has never ever been an issue. I've never heard the gun described as having accuracy issues, but this is the internet.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 05/02/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.