Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow,
nice rifle. It had a Burris 4.5x14 with the MOA reticle on it mounted directly to the CZ dovetail grove using medium mounts. No modification to the factory trigger setting. Rifle was shot with Federal value pack 550 count red box to sight in and then some Federal MV match was sent down the pipe. Wind was howling so the distance was limited to the walled in pistol pit at 28yds. BUT this rig shoots. Three holes touching with both ammo types off a front rest. After reading on other websites that the MTR chamber being too small for promo ammo I was very glad to see that this Red 550 box worked since 22LR is no where to be found in these parts.
If the wind lowers a bit will be looking forward to shooting this rifle farther out.
All in all a really nice choice in Bolt action 22.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
BP-B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yours or someone else's rig?

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the E1 version of that scope on mine at first, but wanted to be able to dial, so I got a Black Friday SWFA 10x for it. Came with free SWFA rings too, which were pretty nice, so I used them, on an Area 419 rail.

Very nice rifles. If I didn’t have a good-shooting 455 SS in walnut, I’d get a 457 American as my “sporter”.

I have SK Rifle Match, SK FP, and some Eley Club to try, but need to get my bench technique polished up a bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I had the E1 version of that scope on mine at first, but wanted to be able to dial, so I got a Black Friday SWFA 10x for it. Came with free SWFA rings too, which were pretty nice, so I used them, on an Area 419 rail.

Very nice rifles. If I didn’t have a good-shooting 455 SS in walnut, I’d get a 457 American as my “sporter”.

I have SK Rifle Match, SK FP, and some Eley Club to try, but need to get my bench technique polished up a bit.

Pappy,
Curious how you like the Rail? I am going to look into the Burris Rings. The design that they came up with that allows the installer to adjust for the gun using the inserts looks tempting. Also curious on how much you find the SWFA easier to dial than the E1. If I get to the range today I am looking forward to shooting a bit longer and also doing a test of the tracking adjustments in this E! now that I got it centered up yesterday.
After this shortage lets up I hope to run some paper drills along the lines of the MOA all Day challenge, but right now its 3 and out with the 22's and centerfires. Good thing is it makes the unubtanium CZ 10 round magazines unnecessary till we get past the shortage.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the inserts, but the Zee rings are a major PITA to move around on a rail because they take a “set” once tightened. I’ve used a flat-blade screwdriver to pry them open a bit to re-mount. The Signature XTRs are much better, but expensive, heavy, and if it matters- Chinese. I think the combination of the elevated rail and a scope with lots of clicks on tap will get you anywhere you need to go with a .22. That rail is nice, but the level is useless where it’s at. The DIP rail was unavailable when I looked so spent the extra for the Area 419, which is very well made. I used high Talley CZ rings with a 4-12 AO Bushnell on my 455, and liked them. Replaced them with lows when I mounted a 2-7.

I think the E1 is a good scope, but the knobs are capped and the clicks not as positive as the SS. Not sure about the actual tracking. I repurposed it to a nice .223 where it’s a good fit. I found it a bit dim at 14x under cloudy skies. I’m limited to 300 yards, so 10x is plenty. Picked up a tactical-type soft case for the combo to keep from banging it up in a narrow case. Tracking of the SS is pretty much a certainty. Might have to cobble up a zero stop.

I have three 5-shot mags to share between the 457 and the 455. Also bought a couple 3-D printed single-shot adapters, but they cause ejection problems in the MTR. Work okay in the 455. I have plenty of good ammo, just need to bag a turkey or two before I get back to rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the info. Will look into the DIP rail. Ill report back on the E1 tracking when I get another chance at it. Good luck on the Gobbler.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

Pappy,
Curious how you like the Rail? I am going to look into the Burris Rings. The design that they came up with that allows the installer to adjust for the gun using the inserts looks tempting. Also curious on how much you find the SWFA easier to dial than the E1. If I get to the range today I am looking forward to shooting a bit longer and also doing a test of the tracking adjustments in this E! now that I got it centered up yesterday.
After this shortage lets up I hope to run some paper drills along the lines of the MOA all Day challenge, but right now its 3 and out with the 22's and centerfires. Good thing is it makes the unubtanium CZ 10 round magazines unnecessary till we get past the shortage.

I'd take up golf for a while if I were limited to only shooting 3 rounds per group with a 22lr. Just sayin. Especially one that supposedly shoots well. I've been wanting to buy a very accurate 22lr bolt gun for a while, so I can scope it. I have a couple bolt guns that I use for iron sight events and I can scope them, but that takes most of the fun out of them. Those new CZ's are damn nice looking. Sorry you have to limit yourself to 3 shots per group. I'll be thinking of you poor joes when I'm shooting mine:
New 10-22 with Kidd barrel. Got it 2 weeks ago and it has 530 rounds on it now: Shot this 10 shot group last weekend in one of our rimfire matches:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot this with one of my iron sight rifles:
Pretty sloppy shooting for the old Winchester model 52, but it was raining on us. I don't think any of us were shooting great that day. Good thing our benches are under cover.

I look forward to seeing how your rifle shoots the MOA all day long challenge. I know the CZ's are accurate. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you’re not feeling sorry for me. I’m well-supplied, and the best stuff has been acquired during this crunch especially for my MTR, by patience and perseverance, not paying through the nose.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Nicely done on your part. I look forward to tracking down some improved ammo for shooting with a MTR that can take advantage of using it.
That Semi auto sure does hold the holes together.
So far Im a big fan of the bolt rifle with scope idea. Time will tell.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
BSA its going to be a long road to getting this driver up to the MOA all day challenge. But Im pretty sure the 457 can get there.
This weekend I was able to get some range time in and start to build the card for the scope and using the MOA reticle.
With a 50 yard zero the 1240 fps (Box listed, not chronographed) Fed 550 pack ammo was down 3.5 MOA at 100 yds. 3 shots were 1.5" apart.
Out at 200 yards the hold required was about 18.5 MOA and the group of three opened to just under 4".
At 300 yards three shots opened to 10 inches and the hold over was about 38 MOA.

There was a bit more wind than I expected to shoot in but had a good time working out the drop estimates.
Group size was on my part, not likely the ammo or 457. dispersion was both vertical and horizontal so I expect to tighten them up with some practice and help from the better shooters at the club.

The Scope worked very well again. Was able to see 22 cal holes in white paper target at 200 yards. The Dial back to zero at 50 was spot on after cranking in quite a bit of elevation to reach 200. 300 required using hold over. Need to run the turret all the way out to see what is left for elevation using this set of rings. Now with some numbers, a 20 or 30 MOA rail and or Burris rings are likely in order. This range has a 400yd 4 foot steel buffalo. That is next weeks project. Along with getting up to speed on cleaning a 22LR barrel with a match chamber.

Really enjoyed using up 22lr instead of centerfire primers. A Bolt 22 is a very entertaining way to spend time on the range..

Last edited by Bob_B257; 05/17/21. Reason: spelling

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Working on getting up to speed on the new Campfire Image Gallery.

Went to the range today and worked on 100 yard paper off the sand bags. Still a long way to go to MOA, ........ more like PrayOA.
Note to the guys posting MOA groups my hats off to you. Any one who can do it well is really showing consistency when you get past 5 shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note:the two shots outside the regular pile are both a trial at squeezing the trigger while pinching against the trigger guard in a more free recoil attempt.
Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on improving bench rest outcomes? I do not believe this is close to the capability of this rifle. But is my current limit for the shooter and lack of consistency.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Get some better, more consistent ammo, and they’ll almost certainly tighten right up.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
These are two pictures from past weeks

The first is the 300 yard target with 3 shots about 10 inches apart. As mentioned earlier it took about 38 MOA of adjustment from a 50 yard zero.
The goal is the 400 yard berm and the Buffalo there. It has been done and the member indicated it took about 210 inches of hold over.

[Linked Image]

This picture is the Box test for the Burris Full Field E1.
Pretty happy with how the 10MOA up, 9MOA right, and back around the horn ended up almost on top of shot 1 in the lower left.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bob_B257; 05/22/21.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Federal bulk box ammo is doing the rifle and yourself no favors. Do you have anything else to experiment with?

Even some CCI SV should cut those groups in half

You have a nice setup and once you feed it some quality ammo you will see big improvements. It makes a big difference

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Right now the ammo that is working best is the Fed Red Box 550. CCI Hi Vel is close but not better. And the two boxes of Fed HV match don't seem to be much tighter...... but there in short supply.
Can not wait to find some better stuff. Have some feelers out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sign up for notifications on good ammo in as many places as you can find, then jump on them. I’ve picked up SK Rifle Match, Eley Club, and Norma Tac that way. Missed one for SK Standard earlier this month because I forgot to de-spam the seller. Not even looking now.

You may luck into some good groups with bulk, but it’s just not consistent enough to depend on for that. Hunting, plinking, it’s fine.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

Working on getting up to speed on the new Campfire Image Gallery.

Went to the range today and worked on 100 yard paper off the sand bags. Still a long way to go to MOA, ........ more like PrayOA.
Note to the guys posting MOA groups my hats off to you. Any one who can do it well is really showing consistency when you get past 5 shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Note:the two shots outside the regular pile are both a trial at squeezing the trigger while pinching against the trigger guard in a more free recoil attempt.
Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial on improving bench rest outcomes? I do not believe this is close to the capability of this rifle. But is my current limit for the shooter and lack of consistency.

[Linked Image]

Keep working on it. Like Robertham said, find some better ammo and your groups will tighten up. Who knows by how much? That is a really nice rifle. Try some SK long range match ammo. Its designed for shots exceeding 100 yards. SK has been very consistent shooting in all of my rimfires, so I'm sure it would help your rifle. The rest of the equation is the nut behind the butt... I'd also add that it is nice seeing someone else shooting those targets. Many have found that shooting 10 shots, one right after the other on the same piece of paper, is harder than it looks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like open squares with heavy borders for shooting groups as the reference point doesn’t get eaten up with holes. I make some, have some I copy that my late brother made 20 years ago, and also use benchrest targets. I guess diamonds work too, but I can quarter the squares better. I have them in a bunch of sizes, up to about 6 inches. My brother put faint lines to mark elevation on his. A laser printer and scanner and heavy paper make them pretty cheaply. Ink jets cost too much.

Another trick is to sight in off the aiming point so the bullets land in the clear.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like open squares with heavy borders for shooting groups as the reference point doesn’t get eaten up with holes. I make some, have some I copy that my late brother made 20 years ago, and also use benchrest targets. I guess diamonds work too, but I can quarter the squares better. I have them in a bunch of sizes, up to about 6 inches. My brother put faint lines to mark elevation on his. A laser printer and scanner and heavy paper make them pretty cheaply. Ink jets cost too much.

Another trick is to sight in off the aiming point so the bullets land in the clear.

Whatever works for you. I don't care much for what I'm aiming at (not too particular). Except I notice sometimes my poi is off when shooting at your typical bulls eyes with the rings. My eyes suck, but make due...
From my last rimfire shoot.

I'm heading out to the shop right now to get one of my 22lr's scoped up for a know your limits shoot coming up next month. Those 1/4" targets are a biotch!!! The rifle I'm going to use is a single shot savage mk1 FVT. Its a shooter with irons:
I'm probably not going to waste my time with the moa all day long challenge with that rifle. Pointless. Generally I just shoot that event with new rifles, to make sure they shoot well enough. MOA is great. Consistent sub moa is even better...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm heading out to the shop right now to get one of my 22lr's scoped up for a know your limits shoot coming up next month. Those 1/4" targets are a biotch!!! The rifle I'm going to use is a single shot savage mk1 FVT. Its a shooter with irons:

Interesting. The rifle that got me thinking about bolt rimfire was a Savage like yours in 17 HMR with a thumbhole stock. I think I remember that it was made in Canada not at the Westfield plant. The retired owner used a bi pod and shot it all the way to 200 yds on a pretty regular basis on week days at our club range. That was prob 10 or 12 years ago before the PRS and Rimfire NRL took off. Listening to guys talk about those matches on the drive to work got the ball rolling in earnest for me. And so did all those pictures of 20 shot paper targets over the long threads here. Its a challenge that I can see will take some real work.
Very much fun on a saturday or sunday to shoot the bolt 22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
320 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.