Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
I've got a place there, it sucks, stay away. 😁

Buddy of mine brother look at a place there.

He can afford it. Can’t make it pencil it out.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Buck720
Forgot to mention set up as close to the water as you can because tops and bottoms will drop in the rough waves! Free show!

Last time down there I watched two guys pack their lightweight catamaran sail boat down to the beach, they went back to get their ice chest and while they were gone the wind took that catamaran off of the beach and out to sea and it was hauling ass straight out.

They had to go down where jet skis were rented and pay 2 guys to fetch their boat back to the beach.

Quality entertainment right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eat at the drunken shrimp. A hole in the wall joint that has fresh off the boat seafood. They do not serve liquor or beer but you can take your own cooler in. The gumbo is some of the best I have ever had and the wife loves the hush puppies.

CK
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Fort Morgan
USS Alabama
National Naval Air Museum - if you time it right the Blue Angels will be practicing
US Air Force armament museum next to Eglin AFB
Fishing

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We go to the beach to be on the beach. Up before daylight to watch the sunrise. Bloody Mary before breakfast. Beer and whatever while on the beach or in the water. Cigars and bourbon as the sun goes down. Usually have steaks we brought with us and seafood from the dock market as the boats come in.

CK
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
We go to the beach to be on the beach. Up before daylight to watch the sunrise. Bloody Mary before breakfast. Beer and whatever while on the beach or in the water. Cigars and bourbon as the sun goes down. Usually have steaks we brought with us and seafood from the dock market as the boats come in.

Bless you.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It's got all the standard beach activities, swimming, parasailing, jetskis, paddle boarding, etc. Down the road 5 miles in Orange Beach the FloraBama is good, across the road is the FloraBama Yacht Club with good food. Fisher's restaurant at Orange Beach marina is good. You can charter fish out of Orange Beach Marina, rent a pontoon boat, cruise on Old River and go to Robinson Island or Fort McRee. Fort McRee is where you want to watch the Blue Angels practice from, usually it's Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30 AM. Fairhope is a neat southern town with a nice walkable downtown area with good restaurants. There are always some kind of festivals going on in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Fairhope, or Foley.

It's the beach, sit on it and drink beer, swim a little, relax. Let the boys run around and oogle the girls in bikinis. There isn't really a reason to do much else. As for Mobile, the only good thing about it is watching it in the rearview mirror as you drive across the bridge.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Definitely https://sea-n-suds.com/ you will NOT regret!!!!!

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FloraBama!
Heard it got warshed out pretty good 15-20 yeats ago. Haven't been since its been rebuilt. Was a hell of a lot of fun in the 90's!

I miss that area. I'm sure it's changed greatly in the last 25-30 years. Probably not for the better, but I'd like to visit again.

I'd for sure find a way to go fishing. Lots of charter opportunity. Used to be some good fishing off the Navarre pier which was way less crowded than the Pensacola pier.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer

You've got it figured our my man.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It is a beach town with typical beach town things to do. Been several times. The people are nice generally. My Brother in Law lives just North of Orange beach. He enjoys living there. People are moving in and filling the area up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Get some wet brisket from Buc-Ees while your watching the crowds run thru that place.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm surprised no one mentioned Bellingrath Gardens - nice quiet way to spend an afternoon.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by deltakid
I'm surprised no one mentioned Bellingrath Gardens - nice quiet way to spend an afternoon.

He did say that he had two teenage sons. They'd be bored.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was stationed in P/Cola for 4 years and was all over that place. If you get to P/Cola eat at the New York Deli on Cervates St. There is a place called Guy's Gumbo Shack in AL that is really good. There is another place called the Blow Fly Inn that is worth hitting. LuLu's is good for seafood and is owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister and he eats there when he is in town and plays a set of music so it is worth checking out.

Most of the touristy stuff has already been answered except for Fort Pickens in Pensacola Beach, FL. That is worth seeing. Make sure you have time to do some fishing in the Gulf.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting thread. I was at the Gulf Shores post office Friday and a guy hollered across the parking lot, "Hey it's Barney Fife"! It was a punch line and a voice I hadn't heard in 19 or 20 years.

Some interesting replies here for sure. The only recommendation I'll give is be prepared to wait. Everywhere. Try to do anything involving driving, as early as possible. The 2 weeks on either side of the 4th is max capacity.

If you're here for the week, the drive to Ft. Morgan is worthwhile. Check out the wildlife refuge and beach along the way.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
doc's seafood in orange beach has the best fried shrimp. big beach brewing company in gulf shores is an excellent micro-brewery; the cream ale is superb; get a sample tray; place is family friendly, to boot ...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Interesting thread. I was at the Gulf Shores post office Friday and a guy hollered across the parking lot, "Hey it's Barney Fife"! It was a punch line and a voice I hadn't heard in 19 or 20 years.

Some interesting replies here for sure. The only recommendation I'll give is be prepared to wait. Everywhere. Try to do anything involving driving, as early as possible. The 2 weeks on either side of the 4th is max capacity.

If you're here for the week, the drive to Ft. Morgan is worthwhile. Check out the wildlife refuge and beach along the way.

That is pretty crazy right there.

Lots of good stuff guys thanks and keep it coming.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Been a while since we have spent time there.

We enjoyed Ft Morgan. Fished over there in the bay off of Dauphin Island.

I travel extensively and eat out more than most. One of the very best meals I have ever had was at the Tin Top in Bon Secour just north of Gulf Shores etc. I would highly recommend it. Someone else recommended Lambert's. I would go to Wendy's before I would go to that restaurant.

The usual bars and restaurants along the beach. We borrowed a boat and cruised around on the intercoastal. That was a ton of fun and relaxing. Dock at LuLu's for lunch, snack, cocktail etc.

Enjoy.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a place down there.

Here's the schedule:

wake up around 9am, bloody marys (plural) for breakfast by the pool till around 1130 (tito's)
make reservations at either Big Mikes or Docs (the steak place on the beach). do not stray from these 2 places for dinner
nap till 1300, lunch at florabama ole river grill (the one across the street from the beach) fish tacos recommended
on the beach with a cooler full of Blue Moon or similar till 1800 pay attention to eye candy, there's LOTS!
1930 head to aforementioned reservations for cocktails - at Big Mikes get the Big Mike Ribeye (you're welcome) if at Docs get the huge Ribeye

Repeat for the entirety of your visit. Alternate the rib eyes with Docs super seafood platter.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.