Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
Interesting topic. 2190 miles. 14 states. Takes 5 to 7 months to complete. A lot of rugged terrain. A person would have to be in top notch shape.

Was looking on line about the Appalachian Trail recently. evidently the fastest it has ever been done was 45 days... that is someone in 'top notch shape'.. proper planning goes further than anything else... there use to be plenty of books that explained about every inch of the Trail... there were booklets available that would go thru a 50 to 100 mile stretch.. know where water sources were, CCC shelters etc.

I am sure there are even more nowadays. At Sportsman's Warehouse, I have found plenty of trail books on the Pacific Crest Trail for the local area.

20 miles in a day is not that hard, after a couple days of getting use to it...but that also is planning and not pushing yourself., especially if you are doing it in 3 or 4 day stretches each day. Aspirin or NSAIDs help to relax your muscles, when they lock up.. along with planning and keeping yourself hydrated, keeps your legs from locking up. know where water sources are... and/or have water filtration kit.. there are plenty on the market.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The shelters wreak

Most people piss right beside them or on the dirt floor in them.

I remember mice doing the Mission Impossible rappel down hanging ropes to get in our packs.

Swore if I went back to another shelter, i’d bring some diphacinone bait blox and toss em under the wooden bunk

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Scanning the thread...read your post with interest Seafire, without knowing who had posted it until I looked back. Extremely interesting and informative.

I can't stress enough how folks go missing on the trail. Carry a personal locator beacon and a gun. If possible, travel with another person and a dog.
[/quote]

Ethan, the trail was well marked 50 years ago... I can't imagine it has gotten worse.. People have GPS systems that we didn't have back in those days.
plus cell phones... we would stick together as a group... but if we got stretched out, we had those in the leads, have a specific time to stop and have a meal, rest and do hygiene... we would carry walky talkys.. there is plenty of nearby civilization not far away....

Never carried a gun on any of the trail in those days, but at the same time, NEVER did it alone.. and a dog along always helped out a lot ...

Biggest danger was bears, but multiple people, it wasn't that hard to chase them away.. the world was safer in those days from humans...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read about a guy that hiked the trail with his cat riding on his pack the whole way. The cat became something of a legend due to his mouse killing/eating abilities.

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I did Springer to Harpers ferry in 99. My knees gave out. They seem to have recovered and I have given some thought to finishing when I retire, but I have come to the conclusion I rather prefer hiking more remote trails particularly in the off seasons when I can be alone.

The AT is sort of weird because besides a big hike its also a social event. Unless you very fast or very slow, your going to be walking with and sharing shelters with the same folks over a periods of days or weeks at a time. There are a lot of hikers on the trail especially if you do a mid march to April start on a NB hike,

Its not a wilderness backpack. To give an example how not a wilderness hike it is, when I started I carried the state guides and maps, but by the time I got to Virginia I just had one guide, mostly to shelters and off trail resources and a map on a bandana. There were so many people to ask questions of I probably would have ditched wingfoots guide and just used the mapdana.

Suggestions

Once you have done your research and followed blogs, whiteblaze etc and figured out a plan ( several ways to walk the trail S-N or N-S or a flipflop and thought out resupply etc, Find some 150-250 mile trail and walk it. and see what works and what doesn't. Then do two weeks on the AT in peak season and see if its what you want to do.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I need to try this when I get my ass back in shape.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Lots of people have gone missing along it. Be advised.

How many is "lots"? I doubt it's very many.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by viking
I had a neighbor in Texas that did. He was gone all summer (if you knew his wife, a fun nazi) . He came back with a full beard and 40 pounds lighter.

My one concern is losing muscle mass and strength due to not lifting for 5-6 months.

Your one concern with hiking the entire AT is that you would get out of shape?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by viking
I had a neighbor in Texas that did. He was gone all summer (if you knew his wife, a fun nazi) . He came back with a full beard and 40 pounds lighter.

My one concern is losing muscle mass and strength due to not lifting for 5-6 months.

Your one concern with hiking the entire AT is that you would get out of shape?
Originally Posted by ro1459
A friend and I did it many yeas ago. We started March 30 and Finished August 1. Most people take six months. Remember that Baxter State Park closes around September 15th every year (Depending on weather) so please plan to finish before then. We were 18 and had to finish prior to college starting so we hiked 20 plus miles a day. (Graduated early so we could take off in March.) You will find that it gets easier as you move north...until you get to the White Mountains. Then you will be glad you hiked the rest of the trail to get ready for them. From the Whites until just before Baxter, will be fun, but testing. Georgia is rough, but only because you are not really used to hiking in the mountains in cold and rain. Then Va. is full of rocks and ticks and bears. Oh, it is also hot. We bathed and washed clothes in streams along the way, but that is not necessary today. Back then, it cost us around $1,000 each to complete it. Today, if you have the equipment needed, you can do it for around $1,000 a month. According to the ATC, only 25% of those that start the trail finish. 25% drop out in the first 40 miles. After that, the number one reason for dropping out is running out of funds.After that is injury. If you make it to Harpers Ferry in WV almost 95% of those hikers make to Baxter. Those from that group that don't, fail because of injury.

BTW, if I can get my knee rehabilitated by March, I plan to hike it one more time. This time at 74. I plan to take seven months and the total cost will be around $10,000. Including all the new equipment I will need. (Almost none of my hunting equipment will work on a through hike.)Also, the guys out there this year are saying that there are many hikers over 65 out there. One guy I follow is DerDieDas, he is 72. Very few of the hikers this year are showing the difficult parts so don't be confused.

The best advice I can give to anyone trying to hike this trail is to hike your own hike and hike it one day at a time. Forget about yesterday when you wake up. Except the beauty. Best wishes and good hiking.

Great information. I would never have guessed it would cost $1k a month to hike the trail, it just seems high. Can you explain some of the costs. Thanks,.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Lots of people start the trail way out of shape. Maybe talk with you doc before you start but then just plan to go slow.... do it before you knees or back give out. I can drive up a forest service trail to "The Scales" where cattle used to be sold. It's about a mile from the top of Mt Rogers. Drop me a PM if you decide to do it and I'll drive up with a bunch of steaks fresh fruit and vegetables to cheer you on with cool

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will be up in the area this coming July. I usually drive up 21 from Sparta and right near
Mt Rogers

Last edited by Mannlicher; 05/02/21.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Roger, convert the weight of your daily beer consumption in your planning. You could do it if they make freeze dried beergrin. Strap a pack on your girlfriend and have her walk in front to keep you motivated.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord
The shelters wreak

Most people piss right beside them or on the dirt floor in them.

I remember mice doing the Mission Impossible rappel down hanging ropes to get in our packs.

Swore if I went back to another shelter, i’d bring some diphacinone bait blox and toss em under the wooden bunk

sad... people use to be a lot smarter, and a lot more publicly minded 50 years ago...

Those shelters were nice when really bad weather blew up at elevation..

Good old tube tent then would be the way to go to save weight

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hiking Key West to Canada......

I just found this guys channel. His video audio quality isn't as amazing as some hiking channels are but his determined curmudgeon that still likes some people but tends to prefer his own company more attitude is something that I related to.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hook
I have a friend hiking it right now. Not sure how many times he's done it before, but if he pulls this one off, he'll have the record for age upon completion. He is 83!

Sonny is the caretaker of the old CCC camp at Flagg Mountain, AL, now used mostly as a hiker's destination. I got to know him about 3 years ago when I volunteered to help them with some onsite sewage systems and a new well location. He is a 100% bona fide character who's life has been dedicated to hiking for several decades. He's one of the most genuine, down to earth, nice guys that you will ever meet. For those interested, here is his website: https://nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey-2021-journals-1/ It contains diaries of some or most of what he calls his 'Odysseys' over the last couple of decades. Note that one of his hikes was along the original path of Route 66, from downtown Chicago to the Pacific Ocean!

You can click on each date to see his blog entry for that date. He is presently at mile 280 or so. His pictures are worth the effort to go through his blogs.

Last edited by Hook; 05/04/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
40 miles in Maryland. Then after PA 300 miles across New Jersey/New York/Connecticut/Massachusetts.

340 miles of handgun-unfriendly jurisdictions.

Once ya get used to being armed in the woods it is not pleasant to go without.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
40 miles in Maryland. Then after PA 300 miles across New Jersey/New York/Connecticut/Massachusetts.

Mitigated by the fact that "everyone knows that treehuggers hate guns". Keep it concealed and you're fine. In the city, it's different.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Mitigated by the fact that "everyone knows that treehuggers hate guns". Keep it concealed and you're fine. In the city, it's different.

After ONE HALF of a MILE, you re screaming for Ben Gay on your Quads. You don't offer schidt to the Pro 2A cause.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dixie (Jessica Mills) is a knowledgable source for the AT, as well as the CDT& PCT. i have watched everyone of her videos. As a subscriber to her YT channel I am very impressed.

Her YT channel is Homemade Wanderlust. Her website is DixieAZ.com

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,226
Posts18,466,576
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.