Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Joe700 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I don't own one, I've just been curious about how it works. Seems simple, except this: in the later models you can engage the safety regardless of whether the weapon is cocked or not, and the user manual tells you to first engage the safety when you start loading it. But, all the diagrams I've seen show that after firing, the cocking piece is pressing the sear down, which seemingly makes it impossible to engage the safety which holds the sear up.

What makes it possible? What's the actual position of the cocking piece and the sear after firing when everything has stopped moving?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic here but I tried asking some less knowledgeable folks first, unsuccessfully.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This should help.

Attached Images
Remington-Walker-Trigger-Infographic.png (17.33 KB, 235 downloads)

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Joe700 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks, but not quite. I'm looking for something that shows or explains how the parts are when uncocked and with safety engaged. Also preferably using the X-Mark Pro as an example since at least the earliest models with those Walker triggers indeed didn't let you do that.

Last edited by Joe700; 04/27/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no safe fired at the same time.....at least on a walker.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Joe700 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes: my question is regarding the newer ones where there supposedly is unless I misunderstand quite completely what https://www.rem870.com/remington700_owners_manual.pdf means when it says:

Always put the safety mechanism in the ā€˜Sā€™ position before handling, loading or unloading the firearm.
II. TO LOAD THE CHAMBER AND MAGAZINE:
1. Always point the firearm in a safe direction.
2. Put the safety mechanism in the ā€˜Sā€™ position.
3. Raise the bolt handle.
4. Pull the bolt handle all the way back

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Joe700 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Interesting discussion, but didn't unfortunately solve my specific vexation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The confusion is that it's assuming it is an unfired situation in which you cannot pull the safety until the cocking cam has reset the firing pin.

Lift the bolt, close the bolt and it works fine.

J
Joe700 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I understand how it works that way. I'm trying to understand how it can work the way that user manual says: first put the safety in the "S" position and then lift the bolt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Joe700
Yes, I understand how it works that way. I'm trying to understand how it can work the way that user manual says: first put the safety in the "S" position and then lift the bolt.

The manual is misleading - it fails to mention that the safety only works when the bolt is in the cocked state. I guess they overlooked this since once the bolt is uncocked you don't need to use the safety. You can't engage the safety when the bolt is already uncocked.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joe700

Because the manual was written by a 20 something liberal intern who didnā€™t know sh*t about it.

The manual is misleading - it fails to mention that the safety only works when the bolt is in the cocked state. I guess they overlooked this since once the bolt is uncocked you don't need to use the safety. You can't engage the safety when the bolt is already uncocked.

šŸ˜€ Name me a model of firearm that has a manual safety that engages without being cocked.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give up guys.....I lead this to the waterhole already.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Swifty52

šŸ˜€ Name me a model of firearm that has a manual safety that engages without being cocked.

They do exist - those that block the trigger only. I can engage the safety on my Merkel double rifle even if it is uncocked. I also had a Stirling 22 bolt action that was the same.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.