Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Was shooting pistols with my dad and sister yesterday. Collectibles got brought up at some point. Dad said heck with collecting guns and not shooting them. He said shoot your guns and collect $100 bills. What say you?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 05/02/21.
BP-B6

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Was shooting pistols with my dad and sister yesterday. Collectibles got brought up at some point. Dad said heck with collecting guns and not shooting them. He said shoot your guns and collect $100 bills. What say you?

I don't buy collectibles.
I buy guns to shoot them.
Yes, I have a few interesting and unusual pieces, but nothing of a quality that I'm afraid to shoot them because it may cause them to loose value. To me there's no "value" in that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
i figure I pretty much ruin the collector value of all my knives and firearms that might "qualify". But what the hey, I bought them to enjoy. Here is a thought. I can take my wife, kids and grandkids out for a fancy dinner that lasts a couple hours, or buy expensive libation or tobacco, which also is a consumable, or I can enjoy a firearm for an indeterminate length of time, and if purchased at a value, can usually let it follow someone else home, many times at a profit.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I'd agree.

Some guns are truly collectable and carry a big value. Some guns are built to be works of art although they are functional firearms.

For me, guns are made to shoot and hunt with.

A lot of guns that were somewhat collectable and brought good money may not be a worthwhile investment in the near future. I just don't see the younger generations caring about say a pre64 winny or something. It'll be interesting to see what happens with markets such as that. Hard to say what the market will do. I never thought I'd see bricks of primers bring 10x retail but here we are. Lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a lot of collectable rifles that I've never shot and probably never will shoot. Some were inherited, some were gifts from friends and family, and some were purchased. I like rifles, so if I see one that I want, I usually buy it and whether I ever shoot it or not, it represents an itch that has been scratched.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

I say the same

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would consider something like an original unfired engraved Colt revolver as a collectible and wouldn't fire it. Anything else is to be enjoyed.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what you call collectable. Lots seem to be obsessed with acquiring every variation of pretty plain and common stuff. That’s a “collection” of non-collectables to me. Even some pretty nice ones like the Browning Miroku repros, may have some collector value if sufficiently virgin, but they’re just nice guns to me. If one falls into my hands, it’s getting dirty.

I know a somewhat well-to-do guy who fancies those Winchester 94 commemoratives from the 60’s on. They leave me cold. Different strokes.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Depends on what you call collectable. Lots seem to be obsessed with acquiring every variation of pretty plain and common stuff. That’s a “collection” of non-collectables to me. Even some pretty nice ones like the Browning Miroku repros, may have some collector value if sufficiently virgin, but they’re just nice guns to me. If one falls into my hands, it’s getting dirty.

I know a somewhat well-to-do guy who fancies those Winchester 94 commemoratives from the 60’s on. They leave me cold. Different strokes.

I could give two fugks about a Winchester commemorative model 94

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

It’s good for one’s soul to have a couple special guns, whether or not the owner chooses to shoot them really doesn’t matter.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Mea Culpa,

I probably have a rather plebian definition of what is a "collectable". I do know that should I ever decide to sell off my collection of firearms and edged weapons, it will definitely be of financial assistance in my dotage.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by geedubya
i figure I pretty much ruin the collector value of all my knives and firearms that might "qualify". But what the hey,
I bought them to enjoy. Here is a thought. I can take my wife, kids and grandkids out for a fancy dinner that lasts a couple hours, or buy expensive libation or tobacco, which also is a consumable, or I can enjoy a firearm for an indeterminate length of time...

ya!

GWB

Pretty much describes my thots too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Not shooting is like having a trophy wife and not -----

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by NYNY

BTDT. Said good riddance 22 years ago.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I don’t have anything I don’t shoot except a 1873 Winchester.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got an old Smith and Wesson model 38-2. It's a blued airweight bodyguard in 38 Special. I hope to wear every single bit of blue off of it before I pass it on to my son. He'll get the other guns too, but there will be very little doubt which one I carried/used the most. It may mean more to him or it may not. Collectible means beans to me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I have a firearm accumulation not a collection - I won’t keep it if I don’t shoot it…..doesn’t matter how unique or rare (if it was that rare or unique I probably wouldn’t buy it). I use a Winchester 1873 made in 1889 for lever action silhouette in .32-20 and an original Marlin 1895 deluxe in .40-65 also. I take care of my guns but they are all or have been shot. No offense to those that do collect as I have lots of friends that do that too…..I just prefer to use them.

PennDog

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
At one time I had guns too valuable to me to shoot
Well I grew up
If I can't shoot it I don't want it

I walked into a local gun shop last Thursday the owner showed me 3 Colt 1911s I believe from the 60s never fired never racked new on boxes
One was a 9mm

They were beautiful and I complimented the owner
But to me useless
I prefer mine including my Colt 9mm that I have shot quite a bit
Much more fun than polishing and protecting

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by NYNY

I had a master rifle maker tell me that once about one of his beautiful rifles that I said I would be scared to take his rifle out in the woods

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a curator....

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.