Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm not a Glock person, preferring my 1911 platform. That being said, this is a good lesson for all of us to obviously never trust a safety 100%. This was a person that reached for his holstered Glock 45 ACP. He 'fumbled" it and grabbed for it on the way to the floor. It landed butt first on the floor and discharged upward into the unfortunate person's hand. It wasn't hardball ammo but, rather, JHP from what was eventually learned. Asking an honest question since I have never shot a Glock.....do they have multiple safeties that "should" prevent this from happening? I have no idea. These pics were sent to me by the person who treated him at the scene. You can easily tell which was the entrance and exit wounds.

Be safe out there and always remember rule's #1 and 2 regarding firearm safety.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Godogs57; 05/02/21.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Never seen a Glock go off unless the trigger was pulled.

That was in combat and on the range with a lot of folks shooting them.

Glad your buds okay though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your gun falls......let it! Glad he survived!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Glocks don't have multiple safeties but they have been through MULTIPLE drop tests before being approved for service.

Ive never seen one accidentally discharge either...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Gotta be more to the story....

Glock going off without pulling the trigger has to be supppppppper rare. There’s a reason so many services use them.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
More to the story could be he did grab it on the way down with two hands and accidentally fired it. At any rate ouch.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Asking an honest question since I have never shot a Glock.....do they have multiple safeties that "should" prevent this from happening? ]

Yes - trigger safety lever, firing pin/striker safety block, drop safety (trigger bar) - in my opinion, they all work well to prevent this.

Lot of possibilities - stock gun or not, aftermarket parts, U-Tube warrior assembling or "upgrading" - or a no-Sh*t failure of one of the three - need the details of the pistol.

Propaganda link: https://us.glock.com/en/LEARN/GLOCK-Pistols/Safe-Action-System

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/02/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, since no one else will say it I will. my guess would be he effed up and used the fumbled drop as an excuse. he was probably dicking around with it doing who knows what and popped himself in the hand. since he knew he'd be ostracized by friends and family he came up with the fumble story. I think this is more likely than what he said happened. I could be wrong and my unsolicited free opinion is worth every penny. either way it looks painful and lessons were learned.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm only familiar with a glock 36, which is one of my daily carry guns. It has never "gone off" unless the trigger was pulled, and I've never dropped it so can't comment on that outcome. There had to be more to the story regarding what really happened.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
he picked it and squeezed the trigger

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Ok, since no one else will say it I will. my guess would be he effed up and used the fumbled drop as an excuse. he was probably dicking around with it doing who knows what and popped himself in the hand. since he knew he'd be ostracized by friends and family he came up with the fumble story. I think this is more likely than what he said happened. I could be wrong and my unsolicited free opinion is worth every penny. either way it looks painful and lessons were learned.

That’d be my first guess. Probably lied to the ER Doc that treated him.
Like the Grand Poobah stated above, Glocks go through multiple drop tests.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That looks like my dong after a drunken night at Mona's in Elko.

AH64Guy is correct in that there's a lot of unanswered questions, but Colorado is likely correct too. Unaltered Glocks (hate them or love them) aren't going to go off by just dropping them. They're one of the safer pistols IMO, from an accidental discharge standpoint. I honestly can't see any situation where one could "accidentally" go off, even if brush somehow got into the trigger guard while you're stomping and pushing through it. There's no safety to knock off and subsequent light single action trigger to pull. It is basically a relatively light double action pull and you have to somehow get your finger in the trigger guard and pull hard on the trigger safety. Even the weight of the gun shouldn't be anywhere near the weight of the trigger pull.

Unless it was a seriously modified glock, I do not buy the fumble story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
That looks like my dong after a drunken night at Mona's in Elko.

AH64Guy is correct in that there's a lot of unanswered questions, but Colorado is likely correct too. Unaltered Glocks (hate them or love them) aren't going to go off by just dropping them. They're one of the safer pistols IMO, from an accidental discharge standpoint. I honestly can't see any situation where one could "accidentally" go off, even if brush somehow got into the trigger guard while you're stomping and pushing through it. There's no safety to knock off and subsequent light single action trigger to pull. It is basically a relatively light double action pull and you have to somehow get your finger in the trigger guard and pull hard on the trigger safety. Even the weight of the gun shouldn't be anywhere near the weight of the trigger pull.

Unless it was a seriously modified glock, I do not buy the fumble story.

I was gonna say Juarez

😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I vote he was disassembling it, didn’t make sure it was unloaded, and when he pulled the trigger to remove the slide, sent a round through his hand. Then made up the drop story to save face.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by borden811
I vote he was disassembling it, didn’t make sure it was unloaded, and when he pulled the trigger to remove the slide, sent a round through his hand. Then made up the drop story to save face.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Had a dumb ass cousin that did that with a el cheapo 25 acp.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

This seems likely, especially as it’s a left hand and most of us are right handed.

In any case, I’m thinking his story is BS.

I wonder if he’ll go after Glock for damages. That would be an interesting case to watch.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by cra1948

This seems likely, especially as it’s a left hand and most of us are right handed.

I wonder if he’ll go after Glock for damages. That would be an interesting case to watch.

BS? That ain’t Hollywood....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by cra1948

BS? That ain’t Hollywood....

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I'm not saying he didn't shoot himself in the hand, I'm saying I think his story about how it happened is BS.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hire a crooked assed lawyer and have a crooked assed gunsmith spin a tale... like the Remington triggers.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta wonder about aftermarket parts and/or was this gun modified in any way? I'd like to get the hard facts on that. Could this gun be one of the billion or so Glocks with trigger mods or who knows what else? The only thing that scares me about Glocks is when something unintended finds its way inside the trigger guard puts just enough pressure on the trigger. I like my unmodified G-19 but I wish they had some type of external safety other than the safe trigger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.