Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here's an article on one of the finest museums in the Western United States, I have been to it and it is spectacular. If you are withing a days drive of this it will be well worth your time, guaranteed it will take you all day, especially if you have any military background at all.

Dubois, WY. Here's a link to their webpage, dont know why my link wont work.

https://www.nmmv.org/

Last edited by jnyork; 05/02/21.

[Linked Image]
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Where at, the link doesn’t work for me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you get to New Orleans, the WW2 museum is a must see, it's awesome

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by viking
Where at, the link doesn’t work for me

Hwy 26 just south of Dubois Wyoming. I have not made it there myself, but it is on my list to do soon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Dayton Ohio Air Force Museum and the New Orleans WWII museum are two of the finest I have ever been to - including the Smithsonian.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I searched google maps for Dubious, lots of stuff to see around there. Thanks

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Concur.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another great WW2 museum is MM Park France. It’s relatively new- just opened in 2017. I stumbled upon it while TDY to Germany. It’s on the outskirts of Strasbourg and has a great collection of small arms, uniforms and vehicles. Well worth the visit if in France or western Germany.

Who is John Galt?
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best WWII museum on the planet is located in Gdańsk, Poland. Millions were spent on it, and they didn’t care who had their feelings hurt displaying the history of it. Took me two days and I rushed.

There are exhibits there that will blow your mind and redefine your perception on humanity. Covers all facets of it, not just Europe.

Brutally savage conflict.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Infantry museum at Ft. Benning and the naval air museum at Pensacola are a couple of my favorites. Went to a couple nice ones in the Bastogne/Ardennes regions but don't remember exactly where they were.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Dayton Ohio Air Force Museum and the New Orleans WWII museum are two of the finest I have ever been to - including the Smithsonian.

Haven't been to AF Museum in over 20 years although I am a Friend of the Museum, send them a little money every year, they send me a nice calander. Never made New Orleans or Smithsonian , never will, likely will never see AF Museum again. I never miss a chance to stop by the Hill AFB Museum and have been to Browning museum there in Ogden a couple of times.

The C7A Caribou at Hill was one of the aircraft assigned to my squadron at Phu Cat, I flew many, many sorties in that airplane so is kinda like visiting an old friend. Same with the EC-121 at AF Museum, I was a flight engineer and flew many missions in that one.

[Linked Image]
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Korean War museum in Seoul is pretty nice.. covers wide range of history.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haven’t been in several years, but the Admiral Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, TX is pretty cool.

Also, Camp Mabry Museum in Austin is pretty cool too.

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The SAC museum in between Omaha and Lincoln is worth a see. I was also impressed with the one on the East side of Oklahoma City.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TBREW401

I completely agree, I visited it last year and I was amazed.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not a museum per se, but if you ever get to Omaha Beach, you'll never be the same. Standing in the cemetery with the beach on one side and all the graves on the other is very moving.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Imperial War Museum in London is pretty spectacular.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

The RAF museum is also well worth a visit:
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

Both are reachable via the Underground in London. As soon as we can go to London.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by natman
The Imperial War Museum in London is pretty spectacular.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london

The RAF museum is also well worth a visit:
https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/

Both are reachable via the Underground in London. As soon as we can go to London.

Lord knows, I've been to the Imperial War Museum a zillion times in the 3 years spent in England in my youth.

its my favorite.. and this coming from someone who worked at the Smithsonian in High School.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Lord knows, I've been to the Imperial War Museum a zillion times in the 3 years spent in England in my youth.

its my favorite.. and this coming from someone who worked at the Smithsonian in High School.

Alas, after hearing so many great things about it, we visited a couple years ago and I was very underwhelmed. It was filled with exhibits that were sanitized and frankly mostly uninteresting and disjointed. Worst were the exhibits that clearly presented with an agenda, like the one on the peace movement against the GLCMs @ Greenham Common. It was all about those evil nuclear weapons and how the US exploited the peace loving Britains. They did not address at all the fact that the Soviets funded virtually 100% of those protests nor how the GLCM (along with other efforts) helped end the cold war. Now I see they are spending their precious space (and it's not a giant museum) on things like war refugee camps - https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-london/whats-on.

There are some awesome museums in London and certainly take the train out to Duxford https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford and see Churchills war rooms https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/churchill-war-rooms but I'll not be back to the IWM.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Jerry, We were visiting friends in Riverton last September. They took us to the Dubois museum for a visit. Very impressed with the exhibits. They were just getting started with the Vietnam exhibits. I don’t remember when the planned finish date of VN wing was. What is interesting is that it is pretty much privately funded by one person and grew from his personal collection of militaria. The owner is very knowledgeable about pretty much every piece displayed. When you get yourself recovered from your bout with the china flu try and make it over there. Well worth your time 👍

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 49 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.