Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wonderful.. Haven't visited with him for a awhile.. Called this am, but I was a bit late.. More later..

Molon Labe
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wonderful.. Haven't visited with him for a awhile.. Called this am, but I was a bit late.. More later.. Very nice work..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Got a couple more things I've done, I'll post some pics as I can. First off here is one, first sword type item I've cranked out. First time making something this long, and first time trying a D guard. Fit and finish is pretty rough, as I didn't want to spend hours making it pretty if it was going to break. So I just made it workman like and proceeded to beat the hell out of it. Still ain't broke and holds a decent edge to boot. Chopping mofo, I've split firewood, and chopped logs, ice, etc. Punched the hell out of the vise, and flexed the blade. Based on my tests, I'm going to make another one and make it pretty, but with a different blade profile. Forged from a leaf spring, and the D guard from a horse shoe. Blade is 20". Handle is a bit long, and the guard a bit roomier than I wanted. Live and learn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Cool!!!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you.

I have wanted to do bigger pieces from the start, but wanted to cut my teeth on smaller stuff. Took a lot of hammer blows to draw out that blade. Even put a distal taper in it and hammered the bevels in after drawing it out lengthwise, and width wise. Next one will be nice enough to warrant better pics. smile

MAGA
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Keep going BGG.....they look great!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Where can we find a list of what's available - AND prices?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by czech1022
Where can we find a list of what's available - AND prices?

As if this moment I don't have anything in inventory done and ready to go. If there is something you'd like, shoot me a pm. I have a couple kitchen knives I'm working on now, and as soon as the shop is above 0 degrees I'll be hammering away.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
10" chef from a leaf spring. Mahogany scales.

General purpose sheath knife from a farriers rasp. Natural canvas micarta scales, nickel silver guard. New thing I tried here, the choil is ground away enough that you can slip the guard twixt your first and second fingers and have very fine control over the blade. It's damned solid, maybe a bit heavy. Distal taper from ass to tip. I'm going to make more of these guys, maybe in a couple different blade profiles.

Edit to add:

While they are fairly large, I don't have sasquatch sized hands. But though this fits ME great, it was overly large for my wife. So I am also going to try a scaled down size and see how that works out.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 04/03/21.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
This is a knife I obviously didn't make lol. Buddy had a couple old knives of his late father's, and asked if I could do anything to make them useable again. One is still sitting on my bench, I'm trying to convince him to let me redo the scales. This one is an old Western, that had a bunch of plier jaw marks on the buttcap, and the handle washers were very loose. Not to mention buggered tip and mild pitting on the blade. I dressed the blade and got rid of the rust, put a new edge and tip on. And after taking out a couple of the leather washers, I used a piece of warthog ivory to fill the gap and tighten things up. Cleaned everything up on the small belt grinder and voila. I think it turned out pretty cool.

MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a couple more I'm going to finish up this afternoon and will post up a couple more pics tonight.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BGG,

Those are looking great!

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
BGG,

Those are looking great!

Thank you sir.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

For the 2 on the right, OD burlap micarta scales, nickel silver guard and pins, leaf spring steel for the blade. The other one is a farrier's rasp, hidden tang skinner with a pice of hammer handle for the handle. That one was just something I had in the drawer to do something with at some point, had some down time and played around.

The larger other knife (far right) is one more step on my quest for my personal favorite belt knife. Closest I've come yet. The other is a smaller belt knife for smaller hands. Just trying out different patterns and seeing how they come out. As always I welcome any feedback.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Making your own knives has to be very satisfying. You get to figure out what you like, and make updates as you go. Maybe the best way to find one's Holy Grail of knives. Very cool, and it's been fun to follow your journey.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice work

"..... and make updates as you go"

Ah yes, never a mistake, only a new model change.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very cool BGG.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Making your own knives has to be very satisfying. You get to figure out what you like, and make updates as you go. Maybe the best way to find one's Holy Grail of knives. Very cool, and it's been fun to follow your journey.

Thank you. It is very satisfying smile. It’s neat to see other folks get use out of something I put my blood sweat and curse words into too. Couple more pieces of equipment and I think I could really crank some things out, but for me slow is good because when I get to a wide spot on the road I feel like learned more on the way there.

Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Nice work

"..... and make updates as you go"

Ah yes, never a mistake, only a new model change.

Thanks, haha. I have plenty of mistakes that with a little re-engineering still turned out into something useful, albeit a definite departure from the original intent.

Originally Posted by SLM
Very cool BGG.

Thank you sir

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good work man You got me on the chef though ,WOW NICE

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.