Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I know that it's possible with C&C bullets to use 7-08 data in the 7x57 case in order to bring the old cartridge up to modern velocities, keeping an eye on the chronograph, of course. Does the same hold true when loading for monos like the TTSX?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

I know that it's possible with C&C bullets to use 7-08 data in the 7x57 case in order to bring the old cartridge up to modern velocities, keeping an eye on the chronograph, of course. Does the same hold true when loading for monos like the TTSX?

Thanks

RM

I think you'd be fine Mike. The 7x57 has enough extra throat and case space I've never ran into issues while using the 140 ETips.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The principle involved is the larger capacity of the 7x57 providing a reduction of pressure relative to the same charge in the 7-08 using the same projectile. I don't see why this would change with the type of projectile.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mathman
The principle involved is the larger capacity of the 7x57 providing a reduction of pressure relative to the same charge in the 7-08 using the same projectile. I don't see why this would change with the type of projectile.

I'm thinking I might have to up the charge in order to gain the 7-08 velocity, assuming accuracy holds.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oh yes, I was just thinking out loud about the relative case capacity principle. If I were to do it I'd have no qualms about using more powder to achieve the same or even a little more velocity out of a larger capacity round.

IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks to the both of you. With all the warnings about monos not acting exactly like C&C, I was just wondering if the principle would still hold. As an aside, my BIL finally caved and sold me his Cabela M70 Fwt Super Grade that has a whopping 37 rounds through it. I'm thinking a 120-gr TTSX just might be a bit of fun on a few summer pigs.

Thanks again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, what a great score Mike! Congrats on that rifle!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The real difference in velocity/pressure was with the X bullets. The grooves on the TTSX make them act much more like C&C. I've used other mfgr's data with TTSX (with discretion and a chronograph) and still have my eyes and fingers.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, what a great score Mike! Congrats on that rifle!

Thanks. He shot it a bit on the range and then killed one animal with it. His two favorite hunting rifles are a Browning X-Bolt (.308) for bad weather, and a M70 Classic Super Grade .270 when the sun is shining. The Featherweight was just sitting in the safe feeling lonely so, as I said, he finally caved and it now has plenty of company. I adjusted the trigger with an Ernie spring and shot it Saturday afternoon with a couple of factory loads. Of the four different loads off the bench, it put three 140-grain factory Core-Lokts into .660". I'm thinking that this one has potential.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
The real difference in velocity/pressure was with the X bullets. The grooves on the TTSX make them act much more like C&C. I've used other mfgr's data with TTSX (with discretion and a chronograph) and still have my eyes and fingers.

Good to know. Thanks!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man I wished I’d have grabbed one when they were out there. Awesome rifles. Some had some nice wood as well.

Sounds like it’ll be an easy shooter as well.

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I sure hope so. My other one (regular Fwt) is giving me fits. Now that the lease is idle, I'm going to swap out the scope, load up another batch of Match Kings, and try it again. So far it's been pretty inconsistent, so if this doesn't work I'm thinking it might go to someone for an examination and remedy. I really want it to a shooter as well. In the meantime, though, this SG will be a lot of fun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My sons 7x57 featherweight was a pain until I full length bedded it. Now the darn thing does great with about everything.

Good luck with it. I know you won’t stop till it’s right.

Semper Fi
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thx.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting - I’ll have to keep this in mind. Hunting around for a 7x57 to round out my .257 Rob & 6mm Rem.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I,too. have a LW Super Grade.

It groups 5 shots well under an inch with145 LRX and StaBALL 6.5 with 210 primers. Seating depth is critical with 3.10" being ideal. 2900 fps was easily achievable with 50.5 grains.

Still experimenting with the 150 grain Sierra. 2850 should be achievable with StaBALL. 3.00" OL seems best so far.

With other powders I would not exceed 2800 with the 145 LEX or 2750 with the 150 grain as the Hodgdon manual shows a 100 fps advantage for StaBALL.

Cheers,
Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Folks:

Thanks

RM

Seems to Mike. FWIW the Ingwe Special REALLY liked 160 gr TSXs pushed pretty hard.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I sure hope so. My other one (regular Fwt) is giving me fits. Now that the lease is idle, I'm going to swap out the scope, load up another batch of Match Kings, and try it again. So far it's been pretty inconsistent, so if this doesn't work I'm thinking it might go to someone for an examination and remedy. I really want it to a shooter as well. In the meantime, though, this SG will be a lot of fun.

Is your other one properly glass bedded and does it also have a proven scope and mounts on it? What's the bore condition? The classic 7mm08 I had was a great shooter after I removed the factory hot blue bedding and replaced it with something better, trigger fine tuned and adjusted to a very clean 2.5 pounds and worked up a load for it. It shot moa for 5 shots. Definitely good enough for hunting with.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Seems to Mike. FWIW the Ingwe Special REALLY liked 160 gr TSXs pushed pretty hard.

Oddly enough, it shoots itty bitty groups with factory 158-gr Prvi Grom loads. I've never bothered to shoot anything else in it, but it's good to know it likes the 160-grain TSXs. I'm surprised you went that light in it, though!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Is your other one properly glass bedded and does it also have a proven scope and mounts on it? What's the bore condition? The classic 7mm08 I had was a great shooter after I removed the factory hot blue bedding and replaced it with something better, trigger fine tuned and adjusted to a very clean 2.5 pounds and worked up a load for it. It shot moa for 5 shots. Definitely good enough for hunting with.

That's one of the reasons I'm swapping out the scope for a FFII, at least for this test. The mounts are fine. The bedding could be an issue - BACO hot-glue - we'll see. I'm more of a hunter than a tinkerer, so if all this fails I'll need to consider some other alternatives. Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.