Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
I think of Huskema as being a specialty scope similar to Shepherd. Some will love them, some will profess hate for them, most will never actually own either.

I went the Shepherd route just short of 20yrs ago, shot it for about a year. Then I tried the custom reticle option from Leupold. They both taught me some things, and prompted me to learn more. One thing I learned that hasn't since changed is that I prefer a generic MOA turret so that I can change any component, or swap the scope onto any rifle. I'm a sight-in and chart-print away from having what I need any time I decide to make any changes whatsoever.

probably actually in the end that will be the view. however I will say most people want a scope with a functional turret and good tracking, the husky has a zero stop, a 1 moa marked reticle for windage holds, my sample of 1, tracks perfectly. the glass is pretty decent, its not overly heavy, basically it has a lot of features people are looking for

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Judman
I think of Huskema as being a specialty scope similar to Shepherd. Some will love them, some will profess hate for them, most will never actually own either.

I went the Shepherd route just short of 20yrs ago, shot it for about a year. Then I tried the custom reticle option from Leupold. They both taught me some things, and prompted me to learn more. One thing I learned that hasn't since changed is that I prefer a generic MOA turret so that I can change any component, or swap the scope onto any rifle. I'm a sight-in and chart-print away from having what I need any time I decide to make any changes whatsoever.

I see the allure clay, but I think most “hunters” find a good load, weather factory or and handload, and go kill shiit. Shooters/tinkerers on the other hand might get sick buying new caps.

I know a couple guys that run em, and they love em. 👍

I don't disagree, however, with the shortages/availability of specific components/loaded ammo, flexibility has become even more of a good thing. Of course the "custom" turrets and "generic" holdover reticles are an awful lot more "universal" than many realize, especially inside say ~500-600yds.

What I've seen play out over and over is:

1. Someone decides they're going to gear up to shoot "long-distance", whatever that happens to mean to them.
2. They start out with a holdover reticle because ~500yds is WAY further than they'll ever shoot game
3. They soon graduate to a custom turret because they want to practice further to make the closer shots easier, similar to having an 80+yd pin on a bow but setting a personal limit below that line
4. They learn a bit as they shoot more
5. They begin to chase BC and/or velocity and their turret needs replacing, maybe more than once, and/or their holdover reticle no longer lines up they way they'd prefer.
6. Sooner or later, "Time" forces the need to learn generic MOA/MIL adjustments for an upcoming event/hunt due to ammo/components requiring one to shoot what they can obtain not necessarily what they ideally worked up to.
7. Most of the custom turrets get pulled an put in a drawer in favor of generics and a chart
7(b). Holdover reticle scopes get replaced with reliable tracking generic MOA/MIL optics and a chart somewhere

My intent of my original post was just informational regarding how I arrived where I did. I would have saved a significant amount of time and $$$$$ if I'd been more open to the experiences and advice of folks with a lot more experience that myself. That said, I might not have learned as much along the way so I don't regret going through the progression either.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Weather Factory" is simply fhuqking AWESOME. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

FFP Mil/Mil for The Win,if'n it ain't Fixed. Hint...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I see the allure clay, but I think most “hunters” find a good load, weather factory or and handload, and go kill shiit. Shooters/tinkerers on the other hand might get sick buying new caps.

I don't disagree, however, with the shortages/availability of specific components/loaded ammo, flexibility has become even more of a good thing. Of course the "custom" turrets and "generic" holdover reticles are an awful lot more "universal" than many realize, especially inside say ~500-600yds.

1. Someone decides they're going to gear up to shoot "long-distance", whatever that happens to mean to them.
2. They start out with a holdover reticle because ~500yds is WAY further than they'll ever shoot game
3. They soon graduate to a custom turret because they want to practice further to make the closer shots easier, similar to having an 80+yd pin on a bow but setting a personal limit below that line
5. They begin to chase BC and/or velocity and their turret needs replacing, maybe more than once, and/or their holdover reticle no longer lines up they way they'd prefer.
6. Sooner or later, "Time" forces the need to learn generic MOA/MIL adjustments for an upcoming event/hunt due to ammo/components requiring one to shoot what they can obtain not necessarily what they ideally worked up to.
7. Most of the custom turrets get pulled an put in a drawer in favor of generics and a chart
7(b). Holdover reticle scopes get replaced with reliable tracking generic MOA/MIL optics and a chart somewhere

My intent of my original post was just informational regarding how I arrived where I did. I would have saved a significant amount of time and $$$$$ if I'd been more open to the experiences and advice of folks with a lot more experience that myself. That said, I might not have learned as much along the way so I don't regret going through the progression either.

It certainly is a learning experience hey?

This was my first attempt at developing a LR rifle, would do it a little differently now that I have learned a few things. With that said and with the setup I built, if I had an elk in front of me at 800 yards with a clear line of fire and the wind was calm, I would not hesitate in taking the shot! Just like I have on hesitation in taking a 100-yard shot with my trusty bow :o)

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/27/22.

KB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
"Weather Factory" is simply fhuqking AWESOME. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

FFP Mil/Mil for The Win,if'n it ain't Fixed. Hint...........................

Ya you might just be right, for floundering around on loggin roads shootin house sized rocks, and sluicing kelp fed beach bears and bucks! Haha

Fuucking laughing………

Fuuck FFP mil and fixed. 😘

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've seen similar shooter progression/evolution several times, as well. You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes they have to bang their head on a rock a few times before they'll take a drink. wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ya some guys do, for the average hunter, a cds is the easy button. Ymmv

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mirage243
I think I'm gonna buy one, the 4-16x42. Anyone have one and can give me an opinion on it.

Hello mirage243, I hope you are doing GREAT and that you had a fantastic hunting season :o)

Was wondering if you pulled the trigger and bought that Huskemaw? If so how do you like it?

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/08/22.

KB

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I think I'm gonna buy one, the 4-16x42. Anyone have one and can give me an opinion on it.

Hello mirage243, I hope you are doing GREAT and that you had a fantastic hunting season :o)

Was wondering if you pulled the trigger and bought that Huskemaw? If so how do you like it?

KB

Ended up buying a Zeiss, member here hooked me up with a great deal on a new one. Also had a custom turrent built for it. I'm still gonna buy a Husky some day.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Turrets sure are nice hey? Takes the guesswork out of longer shots :o)

KB

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Turrets sure are nice hey? Takes the guesswork out of longer shots :o)

Johnny Loco said to tell you to suck his dick you phuqking [bleep]. 🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tell him I said thanks for the offer but I prefer pouzzy lol

KB

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
He also said you were a c h u n t, laughing.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He also said you were a c h u n t, laughing.

Good morning mirage243, just curious, do you work for FedEx? If not you should apply for a job there, you would make for a very good Courier lol

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/09/22.

KB

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
He also refers to you as a lying piece of sheit, you [bleep] kchunt. 🤣

Big Stick in drag I think he said. 🤣

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
He also refers to you as a lying piece of sheit, you [bleep] kchunt. 🤣

Big Stick in drag I think he said. 🤣

I take that as a compliment since everyone knows Big Stick is the world's best Hunter, Fisherman and shot. NOTHING is fhuqking funnier Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING! HINT

LMAO! KB

KB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,138 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.