Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LJB
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by LJB
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks Doug. I was ready to buy this unit, but not having windage hold readouts is likely a deal killer for me. Hard to imagine a $3000 unit that won't do this nowadays.

The Zeiss and the new Swarovski units don't display windage either, as far as I know. I'm with you, a windage display would be very useful, but the big 3 aren't on board.

I'm guessing that they would want real wind data (i.e., from a Kestrel) to display actual wind drift, so displaying a drift value for a pre-set wind speed is not something they've incorporated.

I suspect the same thing. However, even the Kestrel doesn't display actual wind measurements for the firing solution. Rather it (i.e,, the Kestrel) displays a presumed Wind1/Wind 2 bracket. So you'd think the bino manufacturers would do the same thing.

Well, the Kestrel does display real-time wind measurements and incorporates them into a firing solution, but you can lock the values and display a constant solution for given WS1/WS2 values, and I think that's what you're referring to. WS1/ WS2 are not wind bracket extremes, but rather 5-second rolling average and max wind measurements, respectively.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Doug. I was ready to buy this unit, but not having windage hold readouts is likely a deal killer for me. Hard to imagine a $3000 unit that won't do this nowadays.

Easy enough to have a drop/windage chart w/10MPH wind calculated. Wind is linear. Cut in half for 45 degree angle or 5MPH full-grade, double for 20MPH full-grade.

I cannot fathom being afield without a backup chart afixed on-board the rifle somewhere. Under the scope cap, taped/velcro'd to the stock, I've written the data I needed onto grey paint with a black sharpie. If your LRF somehow dies afield at least a hunting partner or your guide can give you the range, then you can consult your chart and make the necessary correction. We're not talking about hauling a 20" cast iron skillet to a mountain top, it's a piece of paper smaller than a .50 cent piece.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by LJB
Originally Posted by LJB

The Zeiss and the new Swarovski units don't display windage either, as far as I know. I'm with you, a windage display would be very useful, but the big 3 aren't on board.

I'm guessing that they would want real wind data (i.e., from a Kestrel) to display actual wind drift, so displaying a drift value for a pre-set wind speed is not something they've incorporated.

I suspect the same thing. However, even the Kestrel doesn't display actual wind measurements for the firing solution. Rather it (i.e,, the Kestrel) displays a presumed Wind1/Wind 2 bracket. So you'd think the bino manufacturers would do the same thing.

Well, the Kestrel does display real-time wind measurements and incorporates them into a firing solution, but you can lock the values and display a constant solution for given WS1/WS2 values, and I think that's what you're referring to. WS1/ WS2 are not wind bracket extremes, but rather 5-second rolling average and max wind measurements, respectively.

Yeah, it can be done this way but I usually don't bother. I just manually set WS1 to 5 mph and WS2 to 15 mph for a quick/broad reference. If conditions warrant, I'll capture the wind data, but seldom will I do so.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by horse1

Easy enough to have a drop/windage chart w/10MPH wind calculated. Wind is linear. Cut in half for 45 degree angle or 5MPH full-grade, double for 20MPH full-grade.

I cannot fathom being afield without a backup chart afixed on-board the rifle somewhere. Under the scope cap, taped/velcro'd to the stock, I've written the data I needed onto grey paint with a black sharpie. If your LRF somehow dies afield at least a hunting partner or your guide can give you the range, then you can consult your chart and make the necessary correction. We're not talking about hauling a 20" cast iron skillet to a mountain top, it's a piece of paper smaller than a .50 cent piece.

I understand how to do the calculations, which is why I said it's easy to do the math based off of a 10mph hold. I do think your backup chart on hand is a great point, and one I intend to use. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Leekers suck ass for ranging,all things considered. Funnier than fhuqk,that no matter the Model,1200yds is the cap on EHR. Wind is fhuqking EASY in comparison. Hint.

DOPE goes inside scope caps and alongside stocks,but Leeker is the only game going,which won't compensate angles well within 50% of lineal readings. Pretty fhuqking funny! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A fist sized Sig,CRUSHES all things Leeker. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The SIG 2400 Is a darned God send. Easy to use and accurate as heck.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

How far will it range consistently?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

John, I’ve bounced it off moose at 2k in Wyoming. I know that isn’t scientific but if I was solid it repeated easily. Just a knuckledragger with most stuff but I know it works well. Plus it fits nicely in my bino pack.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

John, I’ve bounced it off moose at 2k in Wyoming. I know that isn’t scientific but if I was solid it repeated easily. Just a knuckledragger with most stuff but I know it works well. Plus it fits nicely in my bino pack.

That is very good

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d bet others have better accounts of it buddy but I know I wouldn’t change now. It’s darned handy.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Sig 3000 BDX...DESTROYS all things Leeker Geovid and embarrassingly. Pretty fhuqking funny,unless your Teutonic. Hint. LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

I certainly agree with all that, but thought I’d point out that wind drift is linear in wind speed, but non-linear in direction. When it comes to wind direction, full-value drift is multiplied by the sine of the wind angle (assuming a headwind is coming at 0 degrees), so a 45 degree wind actually gives roughly 70% of the drift of a full-value wind. Half-value wind is actually given by a 30 degree angle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The Sig 3000 BDX...DESTROYS all things Leeker Geovid and embarrassingly. Pretty fhuqking funny,unless your Teutonic. Hint. LAUGHING!................

Good glass in them?

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing can get away,optically. They reliable hurt Tender Feelers. Hint......................(grin)

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Good glass in them?

Average at best in the set I owned. Same goes for the Fury 5000 HD. Usable and serviceable for sure, but that's about it. My sig 2200 BDX RF unit is very good, and the RF function in my 3000's was excellent as well. Quality in my BDX3000 was terrible which is the main reason I returned it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the heads up on them, might see if I can find a pair to gawk at.

Why was the quality terrible JG? They break easily?

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The diopters on my sample wouldn't stay put, as they constantly needed re-adjustment. The biggest problem was that the laser was badly misaligned with the aiming reticle. The beam was actually in the 6:30 position completely outside of the circle aiming reticle and wasn't inside any part of it, totally outside. That really screwed things up when trying to range things just over the top of brush, sandhills, etc. Also, where I hunt there is lots and lots of sand, sometimes it blows, and we all know what sand can do to things like glass, parts that move, etc. The objectives are so short up against the body/hinge that you can't even use objective covers. That may be a minor point to some though.

No discernable difference in optics between it and the Fury's, as they're likely made in the same plant. It's all too bad because the RF function is superb.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got it. Appreciate the words.

Semper Fi
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
JGR's feedback on the Sig BDX3000 is spot on. The diopter wonkiness is a real PITN. And the optics aren't good enough for hours of glassing the country side looking for mule deer. At least not for me. I never used them enough to notice a misaligned laser, but mine may be the same way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Raider "hunts" inside barbed wire for more than a few reasons and has to start Threads about BRF's in general. Hint.

Bless her heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.