Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
If I decide to pull the trigger on a new Geovid, with the new passport warranty, I've got a question.

In spite of my piss poor experience with a previous Geovid, I'm considering trying one again. I'm wondering if the ballistic feature is worth the extra $$$, being that the 3200 Geovid is the only one with that feature? I know my inputs (proven holdovers) are good to go because my Sig 2200 spits them out like clockwork.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just got one and like it ,I'd spend the extra and get the 3200.com

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a hefty discount on my 3200’s and so far I like the ballistic feature

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Are you able to set this up reading distance in yards, and holdovers in mils? Seems like I read or heard that in order to get ballistic readouts in mils you had to set range to meters? Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I confirmed with Hamilton at Leica "Yes, it can definitely be set up that way. Just choose US of US/EU and 10 under ABC on the Settings Tab in the app as shown in the attachment and then transfer the settings to the rangefinder."

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Doug. I need to contact you for pricing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you can set the correction to read out as clicks or mils. Set up as EU and 10 the reading will be in meters and correction will come out as clicks. Set up as Doug indicated using US and 10mm you get readings in yards and corrections in mils.

The difference in using EU vs US setting just adds the decimal point.
For example in EU mode the correction may read 22 (clicks) where as US mode will read 2.2.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Bringing this back up. After entering your ballistic data on the app, and sending it to your bino/rf, will it give you a wind hold reading, or is it limited to elevation only? Thanks for the help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I checked with our Leica tech rep and he replied "Elevation only unless he links with a Kestrel.
"

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still have a Swaro for this very reason. The Swaro can be configured to spit out 2 ranges on 1-screen. Actual range and angle compensated range.

Dial the short one, hold wind for the long one. Doesn't matter what rifle you're shooting or how often you want to change them.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hard pass. The U/I is horrible. Considering gifting mine to someone I don't like this Festivus along with my "Airing of Grievances".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LJB
Hard pass. The U/I is horrible. Considering gifting mine to someone I don't like this Festivus along with my "Airing of Grievances".

What issues were you having with the Leica set up? Once I set mine up I’ve been very happy with it and haven’t had to mess with it.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Doug. I was ready to buy this unit, but not having windage hold readouts is likely a deal killer for me. Hard to imagine a $3000 unit that won't do this nowadays.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Thanks Doug. I was ready to buy this unit, but not having windage hold readouts is likely a deal killer for me. Hard to imagine a $3000 unit that won't do this nowadays.

The Zeiss and the new Swarovski units don't display windage either, as far as I know. I'm with you, a windage display would be very useful, but the big 3 aren't on board.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LJB

The Zeiss and the new Swarovski units don't display windage either, as far as I know. I'm with you, a windage display would be very useful, but the big 3 aren't on board.

I'm guessing that they would want real wind data (i.e., from a Kestrel) to display actual wind drift, so displaying a drift value for a pre-set wind speed is not something they've incorporated.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by LJB

What issues were you having with the Leica set up? Once I set mine up I’ve been very happy with it and haven’t had to mess with it.

I posted a stream of conscienceness rant back in April on another thread. Rather than repost it here, I'll PM to you.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, they should Jordan. At the very least you should be able to input a very standard 10mph crosswind in the app and have it give holds based on that data. Simple math can quickly give you the holds when you know the actual wind speed and direction. If the Sig and/or Vortex would upgrade their glass to Razor status they'd own this market, especially Vortex.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, they should Jordan. At the very least you should be able to input a very standard 10mph crosswind in the app and have it give holds based on that data. Simple math can quickly give you the holds when you know the actual wind speed and direction. If the Sig and/or Vortex would upgrade their glass to Razor status they'd own this market, especially Vortex.

I agree.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by LJB

I'm guessing that they would want real wind data (i.e., from a Kestrel) to display actual wind drift, so displaying a drift value for a pre-set wind speed is not something they've incorporated.

I suspect the same thing. However, even the Kestrel doesn't display actual wind measurements for the firing solution. Rather it (i.e,, the Kestrel) displays a presumed Wind1/Wind 2 bracket. So you'd think the bino manufacturers would do the same thing.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I agree.

+2

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 13 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 798 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,441
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.