Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
To me the Tikka's are good shooting tools but they have no soul like a Winchester 70 or Kimber Montana does...Hb

Of the choices, make mine a M70 (or a Kimber).

But don't forget the Kimber Classics and Classic Selects. About 1/2 pound heavier than the Kimber Montana, but a pound lighter than the M70 Featherweight. Much classier than the Fwt too.

Yeah the SA Classic Selects are trim and balanced

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Stick - I should know better, but gonna ask anyway. Honest question: other than not caring for CRF what's the big objection to new M70s?

For what they cost and what you get they strike me as a nice deal. (Assuming you want walnut/blued)

CRF is moot and nary a point. Hint.

The new 70's are RagTag schit and of Dog Dick materials. Walnut/blued is THE worst "option" available to anyone. Hint.

I've Pre-64's,Post,Transition and New CRF's. Winny drops all balls,as Mechanics go. The stocks are routinely schit,as are the triggers and they are hillairously inept. Hint.

A "good" deal? Hardly. Hint.

Laughing!.......................

I literally asked for it, so fair enough, I guess.

I'll keep to walnut/blued. Weather hasn't ruined one yet and the bullet seems to find its way into lung tissue. Works for me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
pretty ez to get a 162gr eld-m up to speed in a tikka 7mm-08

lengthen the bolt stop and run a -06 length mag

heaps of room to groove.

but you said O-250 and maybe 500

in case i'd 223 tikka in a krg bravo..

never wanted or touched the kimber montana 223, or even the fieldcraft.

ez pass.

make the shooting part easier. that's the goal

and if 2lbs upsets ya, not sure how ur gonna manage straps, loins, 4 quarters and head from 7-8 miles back.

What speed is “up to speed” with the 162? I’m getting 2780 with 150 eldx. I ran a bunch of what-ifs with velocity comparing my load to the 162 and I had to get the 162 really moving to equal the numbers.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I own both Tikka & Win 70 CRF. Hans down prefer the Win. CRF. Box magazine with a floor plate compared to a cheapo plastic magazine that only holds two rounds. Also the recoil lug of the Win is an integral part of the action, not an add on washer. THE Win will shoot every bit as accurate as the Tikka. MY Savage rifles are by far my most accurate. But overall the Winchester is the clear winner in my opinion.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

What speed is “up to speed” with the 162? I’m getting 2780 with 150 eldx. I ran a bunch of what-ifs with velocity comparing my load to the 162 and I had to get the 162 really moving to equal the numbers.

2700 give or take is the goal with 162's if barrels run in the low 20" range.

the advantage with the 162 is that it will exhibit good upset down to 1600.. reliably too. plenty of data on this.

not sure i'd send a 150 down to 1600 and expect wound channel much greater then a pin hole. 200gr eld-m weren't impressive at lower velocities and with a constant linotype and jacket thickness you'd expect more upset with a higher volume to surface ratio... 150's should in theory be harder then a 200 eld-x

and the thing with the 162, it's not explosive up close.

i don't have the time to shoot 10 animals with every bullet combo just to establish a baseline. seen shot, have shot, and know of hundreds of dead critters in new zealand with the 162gr eld-m/amax. all from a tikka stainless.

deviating from that known constant would be difficult for me. my bro did shoot an elk with my kimber and a 150gr eld-x.. and it was fine.

but 162 and tikka stainless is my constant. everything else is measured and needs to improve from said baseline

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Buddies & I were talking semi-serious hypotheticals and tasked ourselves to pick between these two rifles specifically and give our reasons. It was fun so I thought I’d ask you all.

A post 64 Winchester 70 CRF Featherweight vs the Tikka T3x. In your response, include the rifle, cartridge of choice & your rationale & load if you have one to share.

No factory ammo will be used. Assume the hunter already has a .223 and a 375 H&H

Purpose: Hogs, Deer & Elk
Max Range: 500yd
Average Range: 125-250yd
Glass: Burris FF II 3-9 w/ BDC
Shooting skill: Intermediate
Handload: Yes
Factory load: No

*This is a what happens when several friends drag the Leadcore & Spoons around Lake Champlain for 10 hours. Apologies in advance.

Pints

Man, either would work just fine. Its really a toss up to me if we are talking Classic stainless vs. something like the Tikka T3x stainless lite model. For me, it would be like this:

30-06 Stainless classic with walnut stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Scope even meets the op's requirement^^^

Tikka T3 stainless lite 308win:

Both newer rifles to me: Bought within the last 2 months. Each one will get some field time this year... For loads, I'm thinking I'd run the 165 TSX in the 308 and a 165-168 TTSX/TSX in the 30-06 or a good ol 180 or 200gr partition. Whatever I felt like using at the moment. I need to add, if it came down to a Portuguese model 70 and a Tikka, I'd pick the Tikka..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Winchester 70 Featherweight CRF in 7mm-08 or 7x57. The Tikka may be a hair more accurate (maybe not though), but it can't touch the class and cool factor of the Winchester. I still like a rifle with a walnut stock and blued streel. Nobody does that better than Winchester in the non custom rifle dept these days.

If you're looking for class, forget the 7mm-08 and go 7x57.....that package will handle anything you mentioned, and with panache.

If you feel compelled to get a 7mm-08 get the Tikka. You won't be sorry...

Great advice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teekers as a whole,are FAR more sound than 70's of any/all vintages. 'Course as mentioned,the stock ergo's are better too. Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy Brokedick Drooler pics,of those who can only afford 50% of scope caps. Hint. LAUGHING!

Winchester has an amazingly long track record,of dropping the ball and they go wayyyyyyyy outta their way to make certain dots don't connect mechanically. Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka, Talleys, FFII, 30-06, factory ammo. May the odds be forever in your favor.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Buddies & I were talking semi-serious hypotheticals and tasked ourselves to pick between these two rifles specifically and give our reasons. It was fun so I thought I’d ask you all.

A post 64 Winchester 70 CRF Featherweight vs the Tikka T3x. In your response, include the rifle, cartridge of choice & your rationale & load if you have one to share.
You serious??? Puh-leeeeze..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bluefish
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

Is that because the M70 requires a gunsmith and the Tikka is good to go right out of the box?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This.

Originally Posted by OGB

Is that because the M70 requires a gunsmith and the Tikka is good to go right out of the box?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by OGB

Pretty sure he's getting at the fact that not many folks customize or build a custom based on a $450 rifle with lots of plastic.

I've owned 5 m70 FWTs. None needed anything out of the box. All shot/shoot MOA with factory ammo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
A Socko made product vs Winnie......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Winchester 70 Featherweight CRF in 7mm-08 or 7x57. The Tikka may be a hair more accurate (maybe not though), but it can't touch the class and cool factor of the Winchester. I still like a rifle with a walnut stock and blued streel. Nobody does that better than Winchester in the non custom rifle dept these days.

If you're looking for class, forget the 7mm-08 and go 7x57.....that package will handle anything you mentioned, and with panache.

If you feel compelled to get a 7mm-08 get the Tikka. You won't be sorry...

Great advice.

I don't know. My model 70 7mm-08 is pretty slick and accurate little rifle. I hear you on the 7x57 though. I have an XTR Featherweight in that chambering that is one of my favorites.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Out of the box Classic stainless in 300 WM. Not recommending the caliber per your requirements, just the platform. This is with factory ammo (Hornady0 used to sight in the scope. I also looked at the Tikkas and to me it was the M70 all the way. I can't speak to the synthetic stocks because i only own one and it's a McMillan.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by OGB

Pretty sure he's getting at the fact that not many folks customize or build a custom based on a $450 rifle with lots of plastic.

I've owned 5 m70 FWTs. None needed anything out of the box. All shot/shoot MOA with factory ammo.

I know. At the end of the day a rifle is a tool. Many "single task" tools come in a huge variety of both quality and usefulness. I have 2 LH M70s and 1 LH Tikka. The M70s are nice rifles, but I drag synthetic rifles around the woods. Mostly that is because I'm afraid to damage the "pretty" guns. Also, the synthetic and stainless guns tend to shrug off moister and temperature changes better. (Hell, despite having several nice rifles, I tend to carry a RAR more than anything else) Guess I'm more of a "tool user" then a "tool appreciator". Perhaps I should just get over it and put some "character" on the wood guns.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OGB

If you would prefer to leave your kids a nice stick of plastic then have at it. Sounds like you haven't t owned or held a true piece of craftsmanship in the form of a rifle made to order. Once you do, that Tikka, while perhaps a useful tool, will reveal itself as the soulless object it is.

The way life should be.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.