24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This past weekend --got to lure an old bird into range with the Knight-Hale fighting purr and
a mouth yelper. He fell to a 1925 LC Smith Long Range 3 in field grade. Ammunition was
Hevi shot tungsten #4s. The double with double triggers allows use of #4 with #5 or# 6
shot shells. Its like two guns with separate loads. Very effective .
This tom I fooled with last year but he was out a bit too far-so I gave him the benefit of
the doubt until this year. Same bird......10 in beard and spurs indicate about a 3-yr old gobbling bird,
who came sneaking in.

Another shotgun I use is a 1923 AH Fox H Grade SuperFox-for goose and turkey.

These two with a Model 12 Heavy Duck round out the turkey guns.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work!

I’d be leery of shooting many (any?) of those tungsten shells through those old barrels. Check with the shell makers.

Used to carry a Stevens 311 I painted up for turkeys. Agree on the double triggers. Still have some Activ nickel-plated 5s I used to use (actually, mostly just carry!).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I have a box of those Activ turkey loads. At one time they were the latest and greatest thing on the market. I have a good size box full of old turkey loads of all makes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am zero for 11 trips this year, but I do carry a 12ga Baker Leader double. It is a dead ringer for LC Smith since a couple of their employees broke off a started their own business. Also have a CE fox 12 ga choked full and IC which is good when a gobbler gets in your back pocket. I only hunt it on flat soft ground.

From a few years back.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by crsides; 05/05/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice looking old double, never heard of a Baker,
My hunting buddy uses an old ( don't know the year) Winchester model 42

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did some due diligence on tungsten-bismuth. Since the introduction of tungsten about 2000,
ammunition makers have made improvements to wad technology.
No sign of anything in the left FC/ LC Smith barrel that indicated scoring.
The Super Fox has only used Long Beards and Bismuth.

The AAHE Parker that is a 3rd Generation gun will not
be seeing anything for awhile-and that may be older lead shotshells.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Used my grandfather's model 42 skeet .410 this year with w-w 7.5's.24 pound bird at 18 yards.Gun and I both built in 59.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crsides
I am zero for 11 trips this year, but I do carry a 12ga Baker Leader double. It is a dead ringer for LC Smith since a couple of their employees broke off a started their own business. Also have a CE fox 12 ga choked full and IC which is good when a gobbler gets in your back pocket. I only hunt it on flat soft ground.

From a few years back.

Fantastic all the way!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by crsides

From a few years back.

I've killed quite a few with my old Baker using some old BP shells I acquired. Mines a Batavia Special model though. I've also take a couple with my Grandfather's old Marlin contract gun in 16 ga (see 36 years thread)
This picture is actually a fall bird, but I've taken both spring and fall with it.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (257_X_50, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.