Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Another gray wolf shot in Nebraska, this time north of Fremont.

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-re...a6cabb0-9d2b-11eb-8250-474196299ba8.html

LINCOLN — Over the counter at the Uehling Gas N Go convenience store, owner Jeff Cornett said he’d heard talk about someone possibly shooting a rare-for-Nebraska gray wolf north of town a couple of months ago.

He passed it off as a tall tale, sort of like how fishermen exaggerate the size of a recent catch.

“I just thought it was a big coyote,” Cornett said Wednesday. “I hear a lot of fishing stories, too.”

But on Wednesday, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission confirmed that a large canine killed on Jan. 28 by coyote hunters near the village, about 21 miles north of Fremont, was indeed a gray wolf.

The female, according to genetic testing, was linked to packs of wolves found in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. It was only the third gray wolf confirmed found in Nebraska since 2002, and follows confirmation that an 81-pound male was shot by a rancher south of Bassett in November.

The growth in wolf populations in the Upper Great Lakes in recent years is making it more likely that a young wolf might stray into nearby states like Nebraska, a state wildlife biologist said.

“Wolves can disperse great distances from their nearest populations in the northern Rocky Mountains or Upper Great Lakes. While we don’t have any evidence of resident wolves or reproduction in Nebraska, we can expect young wolves in search of new territory to cover long distances and make it to Nebraska from time to time,” said Sam Wilson, Game and Parks furbearer and carnivore program manager.

In 2002, a wolf was confirmed shot near Spalding, in central Nebraska. It was also genetically linked to the Great Lake wolves. Prior to that, no wolves had been confirmed in the state since 1913.

The Uehling wolf was legally shot, according to the game commission.

In late October, the Trump administration announced that gray wolves were being delisted as a federal endangered species, effective Jan. 4, except for a small population of Mexican gray wolves in New Mexico and Arizona.

The January delisting of wolves means that it’s now legal to shoot wolves in Nebraska year-round. The delisting has been challenged by some wildlife groups.

It’s the latest salvo in long-running “wolf wars” over protection vs. control measures involving the large canines, which can weigh 70 to 115 pounds. Wolves are much larger than coyotes, which are common in Nebraska.

A handful of states have regulated wolf hunts, including Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Controversy was sparked earlier this year after Wisconsin allowed a hunt.

For more information about wolves, visit OutdoorNebraska.org/graywolf.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have enough problems without wolves.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wolves, moose, elk, black bears, mountain lions even wolverines show up as random travelers in places least expected.
There is a place in southwest Minnesota that in Indian means “place where the caribou was killed”.
Some critters, like people, just like to roam.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Wolves, moose, elk, black bears, mountain lions even wolverines show up as random travelers in places least expected.
There is a place in southwest Minnesota that in Indian means “place where the caribou was killed”.

Sometimes they are pushed. Black bears from MN are pushing to ND as well as south to Iowa. Pushed by overpopulation, and not enough control. Wolves have been pushing in all directions since their numbers have exploded in Northern MN and they have decimated the ungulate food source here.
Wandering and killing are what they do for a living.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bring back DDT

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Bring back DDT
DRT is better

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting....I hadn’t heard about either the Uehling or Spalding woofs. I’ve done a lot of calling around Spalding and there is a lot of good habitat so it isn’t surprising that one would show up there. But, Uheling is pretty far east...

Thank you for posting this!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There have been two confirmed wolves killed in Missouri that I'm aware of. Both were traced by DNA to the wolf populations in the Upper Midwest.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Osky

Sometimes they are pushed. Black bears from MN are pushing to ND as well as south to Iowa. Pushed by overpopulation, and not enough control. Wolves have been pushing in all directions since their numbers have exploded in Northern MN and they have decimated the ungulate food source here.
Osky

There was a bear photographed with a game camera in Yellow River State park 2 years ago. There have numerous pictures of bears in northern Iowa. It's big timber in those areas of Iowa and very remote from working farms and people on the west side of the Mississippi. I think it would be hard to argue there are not reproducing bears in the State.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by kwg020

Osky

There was a bear photographed with a game camera in Yellow River State park 2 years ago. There have numerous pictures of bears in northern Iowa. It's big timber in those areas of Iowa and very remote from working farms and people on the west side of the Mississippi. I think it would be hard to argue there are not reproducing bears in the State.

kwg

Here in MN bears have done very well in open farm country, particularly areas where corn is raised. Once corn, soy beans, sunflowers etc are high enough for cover they will move into that for the rest of the season. Bears are very happy living and denning along ditch lines and weedy areas. Timber is not a requirement for bruins.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up less than 10 miles SSW of Uehling in Hooper, NE. Dad was born in Uehling. Still own part of a farm off of Hwy 77 near Winslow. Have seen lots of big coyotes over the years up there . . . never even imagined wolves, though.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020

Osky

kwg

Here in MN bears have done very well in open farm country, particularly areas where corn is raised. Once corn, soy beans, sunflowers etc are high enough for cover they will move into that for the rest of the season. Bears are very happy living and denning along ditch lines and weedy areas. Timber is not a requirement for bruins.

Osky
Wisconsin farmer killed a 700 pounder in a cornfield with a combine.

https://chippewa.com/dunnconnect/ne...51393c1-e031-5f56-a528-a5b809d5861d.html

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's a big bear. Bet that was a thud and a half.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Osky
[/quote] Wisconsin farmer killed a 700 pounder in a cornfield with a combine.

https://chippewa.com/dunnconnect/ne...51393c1-e031-5f56-a528-a5b809d5861d.html
[/quote]

I remember when there was a rash of incidents where thieves would pull a combine into someone's field at night, make a couple of rounds, then steal off into the night. Now the damned bears are doing it!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado is adding wolves to the state. Idiots.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

They will rue the day.

Osky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why doesn't California want them? I think California needs some grizz and wolves re-introduced.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can hardly wait until there a packs of wolves roaming the back alleys of Boulder CO and the city parks of San Francisco.

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

Why doesn't California want them? I think California needs some grizz and wolves re-introduced.

California announced breeding pairs of wolves a few years ago .
Deep SW Idaho to NE California is just over 200miles - I saw wolf track around the remnants of a dead desert mule deer in 2007 or 2008 . Canine tracks as big as a softball , laid a 300winmag round w/a long seated 208amax bullet on the track - it took up a little over half of the wolfs track . Range cowboy told me there had always been wolves there - had seen them himself a few times .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It doesnt surprise me that they are moving into new areas. I was up in NW Wis. this weekend ( Price county) and was surprised by all the new wolf sign. There were tracks all over the place. However, I only got 1 wolf on the trail cam this winter with 3 trail cams . I also didnt find any wolf kills this spring and was surprised. I found wolf crap with grass in it and not much hair. It was such an easy winter that I am sure this year the wolves were the one that starved to death instead of the deer.

Last edited by ihookem; 05/04/21.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 681 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.