Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always cracks me up when someone uses "soul" as it pertains to a rifle. They're all tools, some nicer and functionally better than others.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Do you deny that a piece of dad or granddad does not reside in a family rifle?
Should I presume you have only plastic furniture in your home? No nice pieces? A chair is merely an item with a function right?

Last edited by bluefish; 05/04/21.

The way life should be.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by OGB
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

Is that because the M70 requires a gunsmith and the Tikka is good to go right out of the box?

If you would prefer to leave your kids a nice stick of plastic then have at it. Sounds like you haven't t owned or held a true piece of craftsmanship in the form of a rifle made to order. Once you do, that Tikka, while perhaps a useful tool, will reveal itself as the soulless object it is.

"don't hold back" is in the title...………..

I have held some very nice rifles that could only be described as functional art. Some have been so far out of my price range that I had no business even picking them up. I'd love to own a bespoke rifle at some point. Even a high end "curio" like a made for me Dakota M10. I begrudge no one there toys. I'd also like to travel to hunt at some point. Out of curiosity, what would it cost me to have one of my M70s turned into an "Al Biesen-esk" rifle? (actually, not being snarky, serious question)

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Do you deny that a piece of dad or granddad does not reside in a family rifle?
Should I presume you have only plastic furniture in your home? No nice pieces? A chair is merely an item with a function right?

2 things here.

1 My family isn't very warm and fuzzy so I may have become a product of that.

2 At one point I stood, across the street in the open garage of my neighbors house watching the fire department put out my house. I looked left and right, saw my wife and kids and had a "moment of clarity". Everything else is just stuff. When I added up a list of things that would have truly hurt to loose, it came down to one arm load. Admittedly, one of those things was Dad's Win 94 (I didn't loose it BTW). Other then that one generation "legacy" I have little that can't be replaced. (see point #1)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Winchester 70 Featherweight CRF in 7mm-08 or 7x57. The Tikka may be a hair more accurate (maybe not though), but it can't touch the class and cool factor of the Winchester. I still like a rifle with a walnut stock and blued streel. Nobody does that better than Winchester in the non custom rifle dept these days.

If you're looking for class, forget the 7mm-08 and go 7x57.....that package will handle anything you mentioned, and with panache.

If you feel compelled to get a 7mm-08 get the Tikka. You won't be sorry...

Great advice.

I don't know. My model 70 7mm-08 is pretty slick and accurate little rifle. I hear you on the 7x57 though. I have an XTR Featherweight in that chambering that is one of my favorites.

The only thing to favor the 7x57 is panache.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandpa's stainless/synthetic model 700 243 could tell a lot of stories if it could talk. You don't need a wood stock to be nostalgic. Sorry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’all just schit....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If anyone is interested in empirical data to substantiate or form thier opinion on this subject, you can do a search for the testing process the Canadian Rangers used to select their current duty rifle.

The cliff notes version is that they put most currently available bolt actions through rigorous testing in harsh conditions to test for reliability and accuracy. Tens of thousands of rounds, worst conditions possible. The results might surprise some.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Love my CRF 70s BUT I have yet ti see ANY documented case of a hunter being killed due to a push feed rifle failing.

We won WW II with a "push feed semi-auto". just sayin'

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by NYNY
Love my CRF 70s BUT I have yet ti see ANY documented case of a hunter being killed due to a push feed rifle failing.

Nor have I seen ANY documented case of a hunter not being successful in the field, due to using a push feed rifle. RJ

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Starbuck
If anyone is interested in empirical data to substantiate or form thier opinion on this subject, you can do a search for the testing process the Canadian Rangers used to select their current duty rifle.

The cliff notes version is that they put most currently available bolt actions through rigorous testing in harsh conditions to test for reliability and accuracy. Tens of thousands of rounds, worst conditions possible. The results might surprise some.

I stopped reading at "Canadian" 😂😇😂😇

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic

Interesting!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by OGB
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

Is that because the M70 requires a gunsmith and the Tikka is good to go right out of the box?

Pretty sure he's getting at the fact that not many folks customize or build a custom based on a $450 rifle with lots of plastic.

I've owned 5 m70 FWTs. None needed anything out of the box. All shot/shoot MOA with factory ammo.

I know. At the end of the day a rifle is a tool. Many "single task" tools come in a huge variety of both quality and usefulness. I have 2 LH M70s and 1 LH Tikka. The M70s are nice rifles, but I drag synthetic rifles around the woods. Mostly that is because I'm afraid to damage the "pretty" guns. Also, the synthetic and stainless guns tend to shrug off moister and temperature changes better. (Hell, despite having several nice rifles, I tend to carry a RAR more than anything else) Guess I'm more of a "tool user" then a "tool appreciator". Perhaps I should just get over it and put some "character" on the wood guns.

I totally get it. I used to baby an older walnut gun. The first ding was liberating. Now it's an heirloom *and* a practical tool. That said, its way harder to mess up wood than people think. A little oil and a little wax and no worries.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I knew a guy years ago that told a story about being on a construction crew. Boss got new truck for the crew to use and everyone was babying it (probably out of fear). Finally the boss grabbed a framing hammer out of the back, put a dent in the fender and told them to get to work.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Crossing international borders doesn't seem to adversely affect rifle functionality.

Likewise, regional and personal biases don't seem to positively impact designs' functionality during objective testing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by NYNY

But it was all metal and wood! 😇😂

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Crossing international borders doesn't seem to adversely affect rifle functionality.

Likewise, regional and personal biases don't seem to positively impact designs' functionality during objective testing.

Was just a joke. Though if folks applied that logic to M70s from Portugal...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Make mine a M70 Fwt and given the OP's parameters, make my M70 Fwt a 270Win.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Enter the gay. Was only a matter of time.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 270jrk
My grandpa's stainless/synthetic model 700 243 could tell a lot of stories if it could talk. You don't need a wood stock to be nostalgic. Sorry.

Didn't say nostalgic. I said soul. My dad and I are piecing together parts to make my daughter a 7x57. Using a beautiful old 1909 Argie. When done, that rifle will be a product of love, imagination, and two lifetimes of hunting experience and memories. When she holds it she will know who commissioned it for her and why as well as the craftsmanship of the maker. A plastic Tikka, while a useful, well-made rifle, cannot compete with that. Nor should it try.

The way life should be.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.