Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, la tee da........ I have and like BOTH. They BOTH work.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by OGB
I knew a guy years ago that told a story about being on a construction crew. Boss got new truck for the crew to use and everyone was babying it (probably out of fear). Finally the boss grabbed a framing hammer out of the back, put a dent in the fender and told them to get to work.

I was on a construction crew in 1978 in central Missouri when that exact thing happened! It was a Red 1978 Ford 4x4 and about 2 days old when he did that. We got busy after that.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pints: Sounds like this is just a fun theoretical discussion, corrrect? Or are you actually going to purchase one or the other? If so, do you have any personal experience with CRF model 70s at all?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Honestly, they are BOTH a piece of schidt. Get with the times.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Buddies & I were talking semi-serious hypotheticals and tasked ourselves to pick between these two rifles specifically and give our reasons. It was fun so I thought I’d ask you all.

A post 64 Winchester 70 CRF Featherweight vs the Tikka T3x. In your response, include the rifle, cartridge of choice & your rationale & load if you have one to share.

No factory ammo will be used. Assume the hunter already has a .223 and a 375 H&H

Purpose: Hogs, Deer & Elk
Max Range: 500yd
Average Range: 125-250yd
Glass: Burris FF II 3-9 w/ BDC
Shooting skill: Intermediate
Handload: Yes
Factory load: No

*This is a what happens when several friends drag the Leadcore & Spoons around Lake Champlain for 10 hours. Apologies in advance.

Pints

Man, either would work just fine. Its really a toss up to me if we are talking Classic stainless vs. something like the Tikka T3x stainless lite model. For me, it would be like this:

30-06 Stainless classic with walnut stock:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Scope even meets the op's requirement^^^

Tikka T3 stainless lite 308win:

Both newer rifles to me: Bought within the last 2 months. Each one will get some field time this year... For loads, I'm thinking I'd run the 165 TSX in the 308 and a 165-168 TTSX/TSX in the 30-06 or a good ol 180 or 200gr partition. Whatever I felt like using at the moment. I need to add, if it came down to a Portuguese model 70 and a Tikka, I'd pick the Tikka..

You are such a WHORE! LMAO. Hell the 30/06 FW is the best picture you have of one single rifle . Posting your excessive number of personal pics of targets and rifles is quite well known here in these parts. LMAO Oh Carry On!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
HEY!!! IMA TOUT owning a .308 the size as a damn .30/06 and !!!!!!!!!!

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
It’all just schit....

Truth.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Pints: Sounds like this is just a fun theoretical discussion, corrrect? Or are you actually going to purchase one or the other? If so, do you have any personal experience with CRF model 70s at all?

I happen to own both styles but this conversation was between several friends so we himmed & hawed about what two rifles. If it were me alone I’d have asked about the Rem 700 vs T3x but that wasn’t our conversation.

It’s interesting to discover the tension that exists between the M70 & T3x in the comments is the same that I experience as I explore buying a new rifle.

Like JWall I have both & like both but they occupy different spaces.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
it's a lot easier to get a crf to eff up in cold and ice then a good push feed design like a tikka.

even if there's clearance in the raceway under normal conditions for the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, adding ice via hoarfrost or condensation to the extractor will stop up an crf so fast it's not even funny.

if you store a tikka with the bolt closed and on safe, it's nearly impossible to get the gun to malfunction.

pour water on it, dump it into a 30 below snowbank and it will not bobble even the slightest. you must have the bolt closed and on safe to engage the sear. not engaging the sear invites a malfunction.

sand and grit are impervious as well

whereas it's not hard at all to get crf to get stuck and jammed. see above about extractors.. montana's triggers will eff up quick as..

if a once in a lifetime tag is on the line and temps and snow are a factor.. no crf for me.

Last edited by Ndbowhunter; 05/04/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Buddies & I were talking semi-serious hypotheticals and tasked ourselves to pick between these two rifles specifically and give our reasons. It was fun so I thought I’d ask you all.

A post 64 Winchester 70 CRF Featherweight vs the Tikka T3x. In your response, include the rifle, cartridge of choice & your rationale & load if you have one to share.

No factory ammo will be used. Assume the hunter already has a .223 and a 375 H&H

Purpose: Hogs, Deer & Elk
Max Range: 500yd
Average Range: 125-250yd
Glass: Burris FF II 3-9 w/ BDC
Shooting skill: Intermediate
Handload: Yes
Factory load: No

*This is a what happens when several friends drag the Leadcore & Spoons around Lake Champlain for 10 hours. Apologies in advance.

Pints

Man, either would work just fine. Its really a toss up to me if we are talking Classic stainless vs. something like the Tikka T3x stainless lite model. For me, it would be like this:

30-06 Stainless classic with walnut stock:
Scope even meets the op's requirement^^^

Tikka T3 stainless lite 308win:

Both newer rifles to me: Bought within the last 2 months. Each one will get some field time this year... For loads, I'm thinking I'd run the 165 TSX in the 308 and a 165-168 TTSX/TSX in the 30-06 or a good ol 180 or 200gr partition. Whatever I felt like using at the moment. I need to add, if it came down to a Portuguese model 70 and a Tikka, I'd pick the Tikka..

You are such a WHORE! LMAO. Hell the 30/06 FW is the best picture you have of one single rifle . Posting your excessive number of personal pics of targets and rifles is quite well known here in these parts. LMAO Oh Carry On!

Don't like that one? How about this 30-06 fwt?

Sounds like you want to see more target pics too?
This is how the rifle above shoots:

Sorry, it's not a 3 shot group... Post up what you got, unless you are just trolling

Here's another Tikka that I really like. 7mm08 stainless lite. Shoots great too and easy to pack around:

Or another post 64 model 70, chambered in 7mm08:

I'm like Jwall, have both and use both. They both work very well. Like I said in my first post, it's a toss up.. To the op, choose either one and you'll be just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Well, la tee da........ I have and like BOTH. They BOTH work.

Jerry

This pos has NOT missed a lick since 2003. Killed a truck load of deer.
The T 3 (R) was bought before the '03 season ---- 2020 = 18 seasons, wait, wait 03 was 1st season so 18 is right.

I bought the T3X 7 RM (L), in 2018 and 18 was it's first season for me

No Deer missed

I bought this PF 70 FTWT 6.5X55 in Dec. 2011

First Deer Nov 2012

This Doe Dec. 2020

This nice buck Nov 2020

NO hitches, Both work. whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice battery of rifles there jwall. Great pics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
yep, just a tool. that works well, very well

Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
it's a lot easier to get a crf to eff up in cold and ice then a good push feed design like a tikka.

even if there's clearance in the raceway under normal conditions for the extractor to snap over the rim of the cartridge, adding ice via hoarfrost or condensation to the extractor will stop up an crf so fast it's not even funny.

if you store a tikka with the bolt closed and on safe, it's nearly impossible to get the gun to malfunction.

pour water on it, dump it into a 30 below snowbank and it will not bobble even the slightest. you must have the bolt closed and on safe to engage the sear. not engaging the sear invites a malfunction.

sand and grit are impervious as well

whereas it's not hard at all to get crf to get stuck and jammed. see above about extractors.. montana's triggers will eff up quick as..

if a once in a lifetime tag is on the line and temps and snow are a factor.. no crf for me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Guys.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by bluefish
how many top flight gunsmiths use m70s and how many churn out tikkas? There is your answer.

The Tikka action is used in quite a number of PRS builds. It is the alternative to a custom action.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Given the OP’s original choices, I’d go with my T3 Lite SS in 30-06 using 180 Accubonds as my all-rounder. I’ve never owned a M70 Fwt so I can’t comment on those, but I’d be perfectly happy with my Portugal M70 EW in 7mm08 slinging 140 Accubonds as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have both and have no qualms with either. I prefer a hunting rifle with a floorplate mag where I can drop extra rounds straight in (not a detachable mag). I also like a 3-position safety like the Winchester or Ruger Hawkeye.

However, I've started using my Tikka for night pig hunting and find the detachable 5 round mags much more convenient in the dark. The continuous receiver top is also nice as for mounting a picatinny rail. I regularly mount a Pulsar Thermal scope on mine. I've never liked mounting a rail on a winchester style receiver that spans across the opening.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Great pics JWall! You’ve got a nice lookin collection!

Im enjoying the posts and as I stated earlier, I already own both, and this was a hypothetical exercise to see what the ‘fire would have to say & share. I’m very impressed with the detail shared - almost like a masters course in rifle selection!

For some reason I feel the need mire than ever for a 7x57. I guess the 7mm bug has been creeping on me - I currently own a 7mm Ultra Mag which I haven’t really found a real use for and might unload it in favor of something more useful.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Pint.

I didn’t say Half Pint. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by 270jrk
My grandpa's stainless/synthetic model 700 243 could tell a lot of stories if it could talk. You don't need a wood stock to be nostalgic. Sorry.

Didn't say nostalgic. I said soul. My dad and I are piecing together parts to make my daughter a 7x57. Using a beautiful old 1909 Argie. When done, that rifle will be a product of love, imagination, and two lifetimes of hunting experience and memories. When she holds it she will know who commissioned it for her and why as well as the craftsmanship of the maker. A plastic Tikka, while a useful, well-made rifle, cannot compete with that. Nor should it try.

Okay, even defining soul as you did, A big part is in your words “lifetimes of hunting experience and memories”. That Aspect of “soul” still does not require wood and blued. And that’s my point.

Enjoy the rifle project With your dad and daughter, sounds great!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (09wingates, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.