Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
A Justice Department lawyer said that National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre has failed to provide adequate oversight of the gun-rights organization and that management should be removed or curtailed if a bankruptcy judge allows the NRA to remain in chapter 11.

The government lawyer’s criticism of NRA management came at the conclusion of a monthlong trial over the bankruptcy, supporting New York Attorney General Letitia James’s argument that Mr. LaPierre put the NRA into chapter 11 to try to evade accountability for spending abuses, which he and the NRA have denied.

Ms. James sued to dissolve the NRA in August and is seeking to either have the chapter 11 case thrown out or to bring in an independent trustee to take charge of the NRA in bankruptcy.

The trial concluded Monday with closing arguments in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Dallas that outlined vastly different visions on what should happen to the 150-year-old group. New York and federal authorities as well as the NRA’s former ad agency contend the not-for-profit is badly mismanaged and an independent fiduciary is needed to reign in Mr. LaPierre.

The NRA, meanwhile, said Mr. LaPierre and his prodigious fundraising are its most valuable asset, that its board is independent and that it has a plan to bolster its corporate governance and restructure its affairs through chapter 11, setting up operations in what it says is the friendlier jurisdiction of Texas.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Harlin Hale now will decide which path the NRA will take and said Monday it is one of the most important cases he will rule on during his judicial career. Judge Hale said he intends to retire next year.

“I found the matters that are being concluded today to be awfully hard,” Judge Hale said.

Assistant U.S. Trustee Lisa Lambert, part of the Justice Department unit overseeing the nation’s bankruptcy courts, said that NRA management hasn’t been accountable for lavish spending and financial irregularities that date back years before its January bankruptcy filing and persisted even during the chapter 11 case.

Ms. Lambert said evidence presented at trial showed that before 2018, Mr. LaPierre’s personal expenses were made to look like business expenses and went through a separate approval process. Mr. LaPierre, the group’s chief executive and executive vice president, also took charter flights that weren’t expressly allowed under NRA policy and some stops he made on those flights weren’t recorded in business records, she said.

“This evidentiary record clearly and convincingly established that Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre has failed to provide the proper oversight,” Ms. Lambert said.

In response, NRA lawyer Greg Garman said the allegations made by the U.S. trustee and New York authorities weren’t supported by evidence presented at trial and called claims of wrongdoing hyperbole. Mr. Garman said the testimony shows the NRA is a growing organization—a sign its membership trusts Mr. LaPierre. The NRA has just under 5 million members, Mr. LaPierre testified.

“We are safe, we are secure, we are a well-run organization. We have responsible new parties in place,” Mr. Garman said.

The NRA’s fate is now in the hands of Judge Hale, who could rule to appoint an independent trustee to take charge of the organization in chapter 11 or allow the group to move ahead with its current management team intact and reorganize in Texas. Judge Hale also could appoint an independent examiner to investigate New York authorities’ allegations, a proposal supported by a handful of NRA board members.

Before Monday’s closing arguments, the NRA filed a proposed chapter 11 plan of reorganization that, if approved, would create a chief compliance officer position at the organization. The NRA also is seeking to hire a chief restructuring officer with the support of a committee representing its vendors and other unsecured creditors. The proposed plan would pay NRA creditors in full, Mr. Garman said.

A New York registered organization since 1871, the NRA said when it filed for bankruptcy that it was seeking to “exit what it believes is a corrupt political and regulatory environment in New York.” The bankruptcy filing came months after Ms. James sued to dissolve the NRA, accusing insiders including Mr. LaPierre and former CFO Wilson “Woody” Philips of violating New York nonprofit laws by illegally diverting tens of millions of dollars from the group through contracts that benefited relatives or close associates.

Mr. Philips has denied wrongdoing.

During the trial, witnesses testified that NRA board members, its top lawyer and its then CFO Craig Spray weren’t informed of the bankruptcy until after it was filed. Gerrit Pronske, a lawyer representing the New York attorney general’s office, accused the NRA on Monday of deceiving the board by adding language to Mr. LaPierre’s employment contract shortly before the chapter 11 filing that the gun-rights group claims gave him authority to file the bankruptcy.

The NRA and Mr. LaPierre have said the chapter 11 filing was properly filed.

“This is as shocking as it is completely dishonest,” Mr. Pronske said. “It is nothing less than fraud and recklessly put the NRA in the horrible position that its entire bankruptcy would be questioned.”

Judge Hale said he intends to issue a ruling early next week.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justic...087839?mod=searchresults_pos1&page=1

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We have met the enemy and he is us, said Pogo.

It’s a shame that liberal, corrupt New York had to cause the NRA to clean its act up even just a little.

Thanks for the post.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre has failed to provide adequate oversight of the gun-rights organization

Understatement of the century there. WP had pretty much destroyed the NRA singlehandedly.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why can't WLP just go away?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why can't WLP just go away?

He would for the right amount of money after the trial. Gotta see which way the wind blows first.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
The NRA submitted a reorganization plan Monday that calls for payment of outstanding debts and leaving in place the current management — including longtime NRA chief Wayne LaPierre. The plan was approved Sunday in a closed-door meeting of the NRA board, according to a person familiar with the vote, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the session

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c-ac28-11eb-acd3-24b44a57093a_story.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The NRA, meanwhile, said Mr. LaPierre and his prodigious fundraising are its most valuable asset ...

I wonder just how many members are refusing to give the NRA any money until Wayne is gone, as myself and a number of individuals here are doing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just got a third "emergency request" for money from the NRA. Wrote "FIRE WLP" on the form and returned it in the postage paid envelope. Did the same with the other two and a membership renewal request.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
The NRA, meanwhile, said Mr. LaPierre and his prodigious fundraising are its most valuable asset ...

I wonder just how many members are refusing to give the NRA any money until Wayne is gone, as myself and a number of individuals here are doing.

I think at this point they're basically down to watch4bear and Larry Potterfield.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All of us as NRA members have had the rug pulled out from under us by the greedy sick people like WP. I really wish after this all shakes out we'd have a good organization back but I have very little hope of that. I'm with you guys that tell them no money until the scum is gone.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
I think at this point they're basically down to watch4bear and Larry Potterfield.
I believe watch4bear has abandoned the NRA or he is dead in his Alaska cabin. Hasn't posted since January. He posted 157 times in his last 3 days of posting.

Last edited by Hastings; 05/04/21. Reason: added last sentence

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

All those celebrity board members need to go

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

There is one in Arizona named Todd Rathner that backs anything Wayne proposes and there is Mr. H. Paul Payne of California that hustles up votes for Wayne's chosen board nominees ensuring no dissidents get on the board. And then there is the terrible Ms. Carolyn Meadows running constant interference for Wayne. The celebrities are just place holders. Rathner, Payne, Meadows, and a few others do Wayne's bidding. They are running terribly scared right now and have to hang on to the NRA to finance their legal expenses.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
The NRA submitted a reorganization plan Monday that calls for payment of outstanding debts and leaving in place the current management — including longtime NRA chief Wayne LaPierre. The plan was approved Sunday in a closed-door meeting of the NRA board, according to a person familiar with the vote, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the session

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...c-ac28-11eb-acd3-24b44a57093a_story.html

How far in the sand are their collective heads buried???

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

There is one in Arizona named Todd Rathner that backs anything Wayne proposes and there is Mr. H. Paul Payne of California that hustles up votes for Wayne's chosen board nominees ensuring no dissidents get on the board. And then there is the terrible Ms. Carolyn Meadows running constant interference for Wayne. The celebrities are just place holders. Rathner, Payne, Meadows, and a few others do Wayne's bidding. They are running terribly scared right now and have to hang on to the NRA to finance their legal expenses.

Hastings, your last sentence says it all.

They have to stay under that legal umbrella.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To get rid of the back stabbing do nothing scum they would have to get rid of half the membership, I'd be all for it. The NRA's biggest problem is the same as the rest of society suffers from, pulling their membership from a pool of ill educated weak minded idiots.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Weirdly I'm rooting for the New York Prosecutor. If the NRA wins, they keep WLP and carry on as usual...we can't let that happen!!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JackRyan
To get rid of the back stabbing do nothing scum they would have to get rid of half the membership, I'd be all for it. The NRA's biggest problem is the same as the rest of society suffers from, pulling their membership from a pool of ill educated weak minded idiots.

Membership isn't the problem, leadership is the problem

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Weirdly I'm rooting for the New York Prosecutor. If the NRA wins, they keep WLP and carry on as usual...we can't let that happen!!

+1. The ship is going down and the crew still thinks everything is fine. "It's just a big ice cube...".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That New York Prosecutor is acting with bad motives but it may end up as the best possible outcome for the NRA if she gets rid of Wayne and we can reorganize. We have sure learned a lot about what not to do, if we can gain control.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.