Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by wyoelk
I’m .338 there is one and only one damn bullet ever needed for any North American game. Get yourself some 210 gr Partition. Go forth and slay everything.

You missed my post where I cited a 210 Partition that didn't exit an average-sized whitetail buck. Its a good bullet, but not one I'd choose "for any North American big game."

The reason the Fail Safe was very popular for a while was the fact that it did the same things as the early Barnes X's when it hit big game--but shot more accurately. I know this due to using Fail Safes on a wide variety of big game, from deer to Cape buffalo, in a bunch or rifles for at least a dozen years before the TSX appeared. The Fail safes included the .270 140, 7mm 160, .30 180, .338 230 and .375 .300. ALL grouped into an inch or less at 100 yards--back when Barnes X accuracy was a real gamble.

But in the late 1990s Barnes solved most of the accuracy problems, and a few years later all of them with the TSX. Which cost a lot less than the Fail Safe.

But that's the only reason the Fail Safe disappeared. It wasn't a "piece of garbage." Instead it was one of the best bullets of its era--but like some other really good bullets it disappeared because technology always marches onward.

Thanks for the laugh. Technology marched on yet I can still pick up Partitions anywhere.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep--and in general Partitions continue to be improved as time marches on. I know this both from talking to the Nosler folks, and continuing to "field-test" the most recent models.

I also have yet to field-test a 210 .338 Partition that proved to penetrate nearly as deeply as a 250 Partition. Like "Las," I prefer other Partitions on game weighing more than caribou.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Obviously Winchester discontinued them because they were more expensive to manufacture and subsequently too expensive at retail for sales to make margins acceptable to the bean counters. None of them give a whit about anything that doesn’t sell well. Evil capitalists I say!

Shoot ‘em if you got ‘em…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WAM,

Yep, the excellent Fail Safe essentially disappeared because it was far more expensive than the Barnes TSX. Hard to sell even an excellent bullet when a less expensive one will do essentially the same things.

Though I do know a few people who firmly believe the more a bullet costs, the better it works. Also used to have a brother-in-law who worked in the Bakken oilfields during the initial boom around 1980. He would actually shop until he found the same shirts (or whatever) at the highest price, so he could brag about how much he spent on 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WAM,

Yep, the excellent Fail Safe essentially disappeared because it was far more expensive than the Barnes TSX. Hard to sell even an excellent bullet when a less expensive one will do essentially the same things.

Though I do know a few people who firmly believe the more a bullet costs, the better it works. Also used to have a brother-in-law who worked in the Bakken oilfields during the initial boom around 1980. He would actually shop until he found the same shirts (or whatever) at the highest price, so he could brag about how much he spent on 'em.

John have you tried Winchester’s current copper bullet?

I just picked up a couple boxes. Only 300 WM I’ve seen in a while. Haven’t tried it yet though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just jacking with ya John. I hate them for personal reasons. Have a good day.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve ever only launched five of them into an animal so I dont have much real world experience. All five were into the same cow elk at thirty yards. I wasn’t impressed. The quest for the perfect bullet continues....

Last edited by wyoelk; 05/04/21.
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
WAM,

Hmmmm…

John, we might have had the same EX-brother in law.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All,
That cartridge shot well in my Ruger 77 .338.
In Africa, I made one shot kills on all game shot; including Eland and Wildebeest. A very accurate and effective bullet.

When Winchester dropped the cartridge, I switched to Nosler .

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.