Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16054150 05/04/21
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I was going to get a pointing lab - but after researching it this dog matches me, what I hunt, and how I hunt.

So now I'm searching for pups in the midwest...

Cool Dogs !!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heard they just lay around a lot.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Sweet !

I found a breeder with a litter dropping soon and reserved my dog - I should pick him up in July !!

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/04/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They are my dream breed. Unfortunately my wife would never allow a dog that size in the house. Good luck and keep us posted. Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Females will usually only go to about 60 pounds or so. Not huge but not little either I guess.

Spot, you'll be amazed with what they do in the field and water. Great dogs in my experience.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I asked for a male, but half thinking I should be asking for a female - but if I’m going to use the dog on Ducks I’m thinking a male is going to be better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get rid of your cats.. If you don't, he will do it for you.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Morning, 30338 the one at the foot of the bed looks exactly like my Diggzz, exactly. Spotshooter you will not be disappointed, I've only had the one. If he had been my first dog, I would never of had another breed. They are super at everything, clowns, water retrieves, pointing birds, finding birds, house pets, family protection, like kids, hell it wouldn't surprise me if they phn fly. I'm to old for another one, so please keep us posted. Thanks Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GWP, He's first generation out of a great Alberta stud dog, so has a Canadian link. They both are all you describe above. Gotta watch them around kids though.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
He knows to never try that with me, but the minute my daughter comes home, he climbs aboard. If I sit on the floor that is their signal to pile on though and they do everytime.

On a side note, if you are new to drahts and want to dive in, I noticed that between CO and WY, we have 7 summer training days for live bird work, waterfowl work, rabbit drags, etc. Really a big support network if you are willing to work and make your dog the best it can be. Active groups all over various states.

Spot, love males myself and all I will ever own. That black one goes 82 pounds and is a water machine. The brown one is 67 at present and learning the ropes still. That said, have seen amazing work by females in water. Also seen females kill coyotes and badgers so get which ever turns your crank.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Get rid of your cats.. If you don't, he will do it for you.

LOL...

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

John Hann is located a couple hours away and I do his “perfect start” program with my Brittany so I’ll use him to break the dog in.
Everything I read, and Here simply says Drahts are a lot like me both personality wise, and hunting wise...

I never looked at them before because they look like a hairy mess, but now that I know about show shine (waxy de tangle spray that really works well) I’m not worried about having to remove burs anymore.

A good friend has one in Colorado and he loves that dog, another friend here has one - it brought him back a fawn last year !! LOL ... Dang !
My Brittnay has a great nose, but he’s NOT versatile at all... he points rabbits ? And is worthless on waterfowl (he’s also 90% white).
He does weight 55lbs and crashes through things and has good drive but he isn’t quiet as driven as I am so the Drahthaar is definitely going to be a better fit.

In the end I’m a meat hunter - and so are Drahthaars.. smile

I grew up on labs, and Brittanys, tried a Vizsla and liked it but it was too much of a fair weather hunter, and it got spurred by a pheasant and quit wanting to retrieve.
My Britt is 85-90% of what I’d like him to do, I just need a bit more drive, and more aggressive commitment to end it when the bird is down and running.

The thoroughbred thing with labs (all commands & handling) is not what I want.
The thoroughbred pointer thing is great, but it’s not versatile enough and it’s kind of a one trick game.
So a dog with the ability to do both, plus duck that has that - GET ‘EM... drive I do... All good.

Spot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I think on occasion a rooster may spur one of the boys. Those tend to get a quick canine mark and don't spur anymore lol. You're going to enjoy the ride I think. They are the ultimate meat dogs.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
the litter is do May 18th so I should have some pictures of the litter in a couple of weeks...

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/05/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Sweet !
I found a breeder with a litter dropping soon and reserved my dog - I should pick him up in July !!

What's the name of the breeder's kennel and what's the state?

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Dan Rowe in Kansas City .. he’s listed on the www.VDD-NGA.Org site

the ultrasound showed at least 7, depending on what she drops he may end up with a couple more that aren’t spoken for, right now 7 are taken..

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/05/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
the ultrasound showed at least 7, depending on what she drops he may end up with a couple more that aren’t spoken for, right now 7 are taken..

Thanks for the info and congrats on finding a DD pup - there is usually a waiting list! Dan Rowe must be a newer breeder since I've not heard of his name or the kennel. What litter is this - A, B, C, etc?

BTW, I fixed your link for VDD-GNA: Verein Deutsch Drahthaar - Group North American

I bet you'll be amazed at how versatile this breed is and how well they hunt. My 'German Girls' have been great hunting partners and even better companions. I'll be getting another pup in a few weeks and she'll be from the 'C' litter out of the v.d. Berge kennel here in MT. They don't have a website but can be found on Facebook if you want to see pics, test scores, etc.

Have fun with your new hunting buddy, and make lots of memories! Like this one from a 2020 sage grouse hunt with Greta - my latest German Girl:
[Linked Image]

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with the pup!! I could see myself going the DD route for my next dog, but that'll be awhile. Hank (pudelpointer) is only 5 and even if he passes early, I'll wait until the boys slow down or are out of school. As of right now, they both keep me busy enough to not have the training time I'd like.

I dig the "ugly" German breeds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN

Thanks for the info and congrats on finding a DD pup - there is usually a waiting list! Dan Rowe must be a newer breeder since I've not heard of his name or the kennel. What litter is this - A, B, C, etc?

BTW, I fixed your link for VDD-GNA: Verein Deutsch Drahthaar - Group North American

I bet you'll be amazed at how versatile this breed is and how well they hunt. My 'German Girls' have been great hunting partners and even better companions. I'll be getting another pup in a few weeks and she'll be from the 'C' litter out of the v.d. Berge kennel here in MT. They don't have a website but can be found on Facebook if you want to see pics, test scores, etc.

Have fun with your new hunting buddy, and make lots of memories! Like this one from a 2020 sage grouse hunt with Greta - my latest German Girl:
[Linked Image]

like. Ill be out in E Montana in Sept with my dogs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a curry comb. Burrs are no problem.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Burs - I found out “show sheen” almost completely removed any bur problems I had with my Brittany.

Breeder - And yes - this is Dan’s second Litter (B), he’s got dogs from the larger kennels and really seems to know his stuff, the SIRE is from Rhonda Wiley’s group.

DD Dog’s - I’ve hunted Labs, Vizsla’s, Brittany’s, GSP’s, and never found a dog that hunted like I do - but from everything I read, Drahthaars are about a perfect match.

Timing - I’ll pick him up 2 days after my birthday... The only thing I really could ask to improve would be having the ability to take him hunting this year, vs. waiting until next year. Frankly, we’re moving homes, and the one I’m in has a great room for house breaking a dog, and it’s right next to the kitchen so for a pup that’s great as well. He’ll stay in the same room with my 55lb Brittany, that is very non-aggressive, but has a ton of energy so he might get run over a few time more than he likes, but other than that it should be good.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 05/06/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.