Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16058448 05/05/21
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is it possible to hunt cape buffalo and leopards with a bow?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yes, it is possible.

But if you think Petey chewed you up, wait till you stick an arrow in Ingwe....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Hunt yes

Kill and retrieve may be a different story

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My PH and I talked about maybe doing it next year. Or rifle crock/hippo and either plains game/buffalo with a bow or tuskless/buffalo with the 500. Can't do crock/hippo and leopard in 3 weeks. Hippo leather makes the best cowboy boots.

He's done the Big 4 with a bow (PHd that is).

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 05/05/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Leopard with a bow would be tough. Low light, small target, teeth and claws that can put a hurting on you.

However you could bait and shoot the neighborhood cats for practice.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yup. But you spend the day dialing in your pin to the bait. Now Ultraview makes a scope that it lights up both the pin and the white (internal) housing/surround. And you can buy a glow in the dark peep...............

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 05/05/21.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
P.S. It seems pretty clear that the link I posted above was of a captive buff, as it were. Didn't dig but my guess is SA fenced deal. I know you well enough to know that's not the kind of experience you'd want. Can a wild CB hunt be had w/a bow? Yep. That said, if you book one tote a .375 H&H at minimum, bud. Forget the bow. MHOO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
people even hunt elephant with bows and Fred Bear even hunted Brown Bears, but there's a reason we kicked ass with Winchesters vs bows and arrows...hint.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can kill anything with a rifle... would want the risk.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Interesting way to look at it. The issue is the trackers, PH, locals are put at more risk more than the client hunter. There are more than a couple of well known PHs that have been killed on wounded game follow ups. Granted the animals were wounded with rifles, not bows.

There will be those who will be upset by this but hunting large dangerous game with a bow is a stunt in my opinion.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Mike70560

There will be those who will be upset by this but hunting large dangerous game with a bow is a stunt in my opinion.

Well, yeah.....that is kinda the point isn't it?

And I'm not saying hunting DG isn't exciting, but he is right though, anyone can shoot a buffalo with a rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano

Well, yeah.....that is kinda the point isn't it?

And I'm not saying hunting DG isn't exciting, but he is right though, anyone can shoot a buffalo with a rifle.

Surely anybody can shoot a Buffalo with a rifle, that is why all follow ups end with the Buffalo dead on the ground. If that was truly the case Wayne Clark would be alive, as would Owain Lewis. Nixon would not have got injured as did the client. Those are from a few years ago but there have been a few ph’s killed recently due to various circumstances.

I have shot about a dozen Buffalo, mostly with a double rifle. In reality a scoped big bore from 100 yards is a safer choice. I even self guided in the Congo for two weeks, so I understand wanting an exciting experience. But it is my opinion that bows are not a good idea on large dangerous game. That opinion is based on my experiences as is yours.

All that being said without a doubt there are some hunters that are skilled and experienced enough to hunt dangerous game in the wild with a bow but in reality those guys are far and few between.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[. But it is my opinion that bows are not a good idea on large dangerous game.

THIS IN SPADES...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
P.S. It seems pretty clear that the link I posted above was of a captive buff, as it were. Didn't dig but my guess is SA fenced deal. I know you well enough to know that's not the kind of experience you'd want. Can a wild CB hunt be had w/a bow? Yep. That said, if you book one tote a .375 H&H at minimum, bud. Forget the bow. MHOO.

From the lodge, I think it was definitely RSA.

There's a retired taxidermist named Joe Kuhlis in NE Ohio who took the big 5 with a bow. First an Alaska brown bear, self guided. He got a 200 pound bow and at lunch every day went out behind his shop to pull it several iinches three or four times. Eventually he could pull it to full draw. He said the bear's head and hide weighed 200 pounds.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yup. There is nothing as exciting as getting within and surrounded by a herd of bull ele and not far from where Phillip Smythe recently lost his life to an ele, as did a local from the same village as our tracker just a few weeks before I arrived.

Or amongst a herd of buffalo to shoot one with a double rather than with a scoped 3-7-5 at distance. I won't do that again (scope) or ever take my 416 Rigby to Africa.

Isn't that what it's really all about...As Hank Kingsley would say in the intro to The Larry Sanders Show "This is exciting isn't it?"

PS When I had lunch with Phillip at Sango he was on a buffalo hunt.....

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 05/07/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot a brown bear with a bow two years ago. The bow was 65 pounds. The arrow sailed completely through it, and the bear ran about 80 yards and was dead.
And I shot a Cape buffalo with a 75 pound bow. Yes, high fence in SA.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No problem. My local SCI chapter has at least two members who have killed both, and giraffes and lions and hippos and I think, elephant.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely it can be done.

It takes dedication, discipline, and even a certain amount of restraint.

When I asked my PH about the possibility of hunting a CB with a bow, he said he would take me. This was free range and no fences.

This guy has BTDT, class act with ice water in his veins.

Monty Browning

Last edited by CRS; 05/11/21.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

From the lodge, I think it was definitely RSA.

There's a retired taxidermist named Joe Kuhlis in NE Ohio who took the big 5 with a bow. First an Alaska brown bear, self guided. He got a 200 pound bow and at lunch every day went out behind his shop to pull it several iinches three or four times. Eventually he could pull it to full draw. He said the bear's head and hide weighed 200 pounds.

This must have been a loooong time ago. For at least the last 35 years you couldn’t hunt brown bear in AK without a guide unless you were/are a resident....Pete Shepley, the founder of PSE Archery, has taken the big 5( free range) with a bow. Met him years ago in Joberg at a guesthouse. He was on his way to Zambia to hunt lion, then on to Zim for elephant with his 90 lb draw weight bow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.