Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by VinceM
Good work man You got me on the chef though ,WOW NICE

Thank you. It's in someone else's kitchen hopefully pulling yeoman's duty. smile

MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Thank you. It is very satisfying smile. It’s neat to see other folks get use out of something I put my blood sweat and curse words into too. Couple more pieces of equipment and I think I could really crank some things out, but for me slow is good because when I get to a wide spot on the road I feel like learned more on the way there..

[/quote]
What equipment are you currently using?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

Thank you. It is very satisfying smile. It’s neat to see other folks get use out of something I put my blood sweat and curse words into too. Couple more pieces of equipment and I think I could really crank some things out, but for me slow is good because when I get to a wide spot on the road I feel like learned more on the way there..

What equipment are you currently using?]

The Grizzly 1x42 I started on, a Grizzly 2x72, a harbor freight pos drill press, and the Chile Forge Habenero forge I upgraded to awhile back. Right now trying to decide between getting another (better) 2x72 and a press. The grizzly is balls out, another 2x72 with a variable speed and attachment options would be a HUGE help, but a press would be a big help punching eyes on axe heads and making damascus. A small mill would be pretty neat, and a better drill press is a necessity. The drill I’ll be able to find on FB or Craigslist, the others I’m afraid will need to be new, not just new to me. I’d like a couple hundred lbs of coke too as long as I’m making a wish list lol

As far as hammers and anvils it’s a mixed bag that works for me so far. smile

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 05/04/21.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate you posting and I enjoy looking at your work. I have done some blacksmithing and my son invited me to attend a hammer-in at Travis Wuertz shop near Coolidge. I have known Travis dad since we were both kids. You have every right to be very proud of your work. There is something very special about handmade as opposed to machine made. Hope you continue to post. I will continue to look.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Definitely agree, there is something very cool about making your own blades. Something that I've never done, but can appreciate the time and dedication, or frustration plus joy that comes with it. I've made my own stick bows, and can say that it can be satisfying and frustrating at the same time. But in the end, if you make something that can do a job, then it's worth it

BGG, what's your favorite knife for the kitchen? Your cook cleaver got my attention. I have a cheap one that I bought in some Chinatown (Toronto?) many years ago that is my favorite knife for cooking. Can do dang near everything with it, with the exception of filleting and removing silver skin from chunks of game meat where I use a fillet knife.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing what you come to like in terms of design.

Jason

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hi Jason
Are you aware of Alec Steele? Youtube channels. Also has a line of equipment. He's positioning himself as top tier.

He moved from the UK to Montana not too long ago. I think he's near Bozo.

Anyway, as long as you're dreaming , drool on this!

https://alecsteeleshop.com/products/2x72-steele-kit-grinder

Mike

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Jason
Are you aware of Alec Steele? Youtube channels. Also has a line of equipment. He's positioning himself as top tier.

Mike

Man, that is a NICE link!

Ironbender wins the Enabler of the Year Award! grin

John

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hi Jason

Mike

I am passing familiar with him. Super talented smith!

This is the grinder that has me horned up:

https://brodbeckironworks.com/collections/shop-grinders

Mainly because of this (for squaring up tangs for handle scale fitting):

https://brodbeckironworks.com/collections/shop-attachments/products/surface-grinder-attachment

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 45_100
I appreciate you posting and I enjoy looking at your work. I have done some blacksmithing and my son invited me to attend a hammer-in at Travis Wuertz shop near Coolidge. I have known Travis dad since we were both kids. You have every right to be very proud of your work. There is something very special about handmade as opposed to machine made. Hope you continue to post. I will continue to look.

Thank you for the encouragement! I’ve only seen him on tv, but Wuertz seems like a pretty cool dude. I’m probably going to be in that neck of the woods this summer and thought about checking out one of his grinders too.

I’ll keep putting up pics till folks get tired of seeing them. smile

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Definitely agree, there is something very cool about making your own blades. Something that I've never done, but can appreciate the time and dedication, or frustration plus joy that comes with it. I've made my own stick bows, and can say that it can be satisfying and frustrating at the same time. But in the end, if you make something that can do a job, then it's worth it

BGG, what's your favorite knife for the kitchen? Your cook cleaver got my attention. I have a cheap one that I bought in some Chinatown (Toronto?) many years ago that is my favorite knife for cooking. Can do dang near everything with it, with the exception of filleting and removing silver skin from chunks of game meat where I use a fillet knife.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing what you come to like in terms of design.

Jason

For my own using in the kitchen , I have a 6” chef, a 5” (I think ?) santoku style, and a paring knife that I use the most. My wife uses the santoku almost exclusively. When I’m cutting up a deer I use a couple other different ones.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
'Gruff, Dude, these are awesome !!

I knew you made a knife for Trav, the dumpster diver, but was completely unaware of your badass skillz.

In love with the hammering.

Way to go Man !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I thought Steele’s @ $1900 was spendy. That Brodbeck is karazy!

Oh, hell. It’s just money, right? 😳

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
'Gruff, Dude, these are awesome !!

I knew you made a knife for Trav, the dumpster diver, but was completely unaware of your badass skillz.

In love with the hammering.

Way to go Man !

Thanks eh!

I thought Steele’s @ $1900 was spendy. That Brodbeck is karazy!

Oh, hell. It’s just money, right? 😳

I don’t I’ll ever spend the coin on it but a guy can dream. Something like Steele’s is definitely going to happen though.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You could drive to that one!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Jason

Mike

That seems like a nice turnkey grinder for the money. I'll have to check out the YouTubes. We have a couple local bladesmithing courses here. Thought about taking one for fun. Making knives isn't a priority just yet though.

Just got a tabletop vertical milling machine to make and modify small parts. Looking forward to using it.

J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For my own using in the kitchen , I have a 6” chef, a 5” (I think ?) santoku style, and a paring knife that I use the most. My wife uses the santoku almost exclusively.

Thanks for the info.

Jason

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Couple little guys I made for a buddy. One for his son-in-law and the other for the dad. Farrier's rasp, I THINK sapele for the scales, one with brass pins the other with nickel silver.

MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Say I was looking over your knives.. I liked the one on the right you said was your idea of a personal belt knife... I do like a drop point on those and the 10" Chef's knife looked great for my step daughter who is an awesome cook.. What would the cost on those be? Can a sheath for the belt knife be made?? Neat looking blades!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you sir. I’ll pm you prices.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gruffter, any updates ?

Was up on the stabby/cutty thread & thought I'd head back down here.

Giv'er a bump.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.