Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I work for several rental management companies repairing the properties.

I found a Wagner ware 10" cast iron skillet today. It needs help. The inside has been scrubbed to shiny metal. How do I best make it functional?

Thank you for your help.
Jim

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice find. Go yo you tube. lots of ways to season cast iron. olive oil, crisco, bacon grease. coat it and set in oven or over fire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We take our new or neglected lodge pans, grease em up with lard and throw em the fire. lol

But

Here is some cut and paste advice

complete redo sounds to be in order

1. Clean

Scrub the pan well in hot, soapy water. Yes, using a little soap is fine in this case because you are reseasoning the pan. Use a nylon scrub brush or fine steel wool scrubber to remove rust, if needed. Once the pan is clean, dry it thoroughly inside and out. (And keep the pan dry in the future to prevent rusting.)

2. Oil

Rub a thin layer of vegetable oil or melted shortening over the entire pan. Make sure to cover the inside, outside, and the handle. Don't add too much, you don't want the pan to be so oily that it's slippery. A nice even coating is what you're looking for.

3. Bake

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the pan upside down on the middle oven rack. This prevents the oil from pooling inside the pan. Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower rack to catch any drips. Bake the pan for one hour.

4. Cool

After one hour, turn off the oven and leave the pan in the oven to cool completely. When the pan is cool, wipe away any excess oil with a paper towel.

When it's time to cook with your shiny new skillet, make sure to wash it with hot water (no soap this time) and dry it completely after each use. If and when it needs to be reseasoned again, now you'll know what to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice score.

Clean with Easy Off in a garbage bag.
Season with grapeseed oil.

Fear the crabcat.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1 on seasoning with grape seed oil.

IC B2

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for your help guys.

The skillet looks rough. Lots of rusty areas and pitting on the inside. Grease and grime on the outside. But, I have never seen one that is shiny-ish on the inside. I can only guess that someone started to clean it up. It looks like it could become a usable skillet.

It will become a great air rifle target backstop if all goes wrong in the clean up. That was my first thought anyway.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have never heard of the Grape Seed Oil
You learn something every day

I use Bacon Grease. If I do not have any then Lard.
stuck in the oven at the highest temp. the oven will go for an hour to 2 hours.
Cool
And Repeater until I am happy with the seasoning.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 2sticks
Thank you for your help guys.

The skillet looks rough. Lots of rusty areas and pitting on the inside. Grease and grime on the outside. But, I have never seen one that is shiny-ish on the inside. I can only guess that someone started to clean it up. It looks like it could become a usable skillet.

It will become a great air rifle target backstop if all goes wrong in the clean up. That was my first thought anyway.

It would make a nice wall hanger in the kitchen if you can not fix it up.

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If it turns out that I can't fix it. And I probably cannot.
It will make a nice ring when pellets hit it.

I have a good skillet but limited skills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a No.8 Griswold skillet I picked up at a flea market for a very good price a number of years ago. I have a No.5 Griswold skillet that belonged to my Grandmother back in the 1920's or 1930's. I was looking around in the garage for something a couple years ago and found a No.3 Wagner ware skillet that I hadn't seen since we moved almost 20 years ago. I had actually forgot I even had it and don't remember where or when I acquired it. Wiped out the dust and webs, used some 0000 steel wool on the interior, washed and dried it, oiled it and have been using it ever since.

Great find for you !!! It will be serviceable (unless it's cracked) . . . DON'T use for an air rifle backstop, you'll be sorry . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Nice score.

Clean with Easy Off in a garbage bag.
Season with grapeseed oil.

If you do the Easy Off method, make sure to use the one with lye.
Got a battery charger? You could try electrolysis.
Lots of people swear by this for really bad pieces.
http://curtcorwin.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-clean-cast-iron-cookware-with.html?m=1

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clean mine by tossing it in the fire, burns everything off, then season as mentioned above. Works like a charm

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
set it on a flat surface first to make sure its not warped. if its warped, it usually won't cook right. you can take a wire wheel to the cooking surface to smooth it down. i wouldn't worry about the outside pitting. i renewed an old no-name one somebody gave me with a wire wheel and lots of sandpaper. as others have said, there's instructions on seasoning them everywhere.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Only reason it will end up unusable is if you mess it up.....I have many "cast iron" pans most were found in the garbage and free most took some Elbow grease to return to a usefull state .....one of my greatest finds is a Griswold flap jack skillet 14 1/2" x 26 1/4" rectangle shape have never seen one and never ever herd of one found it in the garbage would have ended up in a dump....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I cleaned one up with an angle grinder and a flapper disc. Gave the bottom and sides and nice smooth surface and then seasoned it. It works perfectly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could always have the pan glass bead blasted to remove rust & scale.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Cowboy Kent Rollins has a few tips on restoring cast iron and a lot of good recipes too.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No chemical cleaning!

Put it in your grill at the highest setting for a couple of hours.

Let cool and finish cleanup with an angle grinder with wire cup.

Scrub with soapy water and 3M green pad.

Rinse well. When you think it rinsed enough; rinse again.

Dry with towel and heat on kitchen range to super dry.

Season as usual.

I’ve done a lot of pieces this way.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I cleaned one up with an angle grinder and a flapper disc. Gave the bottom and sides and nice smooth surface and then seasoned it. It works perfectly.

This is what I did. My wife had one she got from her aunt. She complained it was rough inside. I used an angle grinder with a wire cup brush and it cleaned up real good. Did several ore after that. The flap wheel would be slightly more aggressive if needed. Flap wheels come in different grits. I don't think I would use a grinding wheel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub

This is what I did. My wife had one she got from her aunt. She complained it was rough inside. I used an angle grinder with a wire cup brush and it cleaned up real good. Did several ore after that. The flap wheel would be slightly more aggressive if needed. Flap wheels come in different grits. I don't think I would use a grinding wheel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.