Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Blessed to have had a heck of a good spring, this year. In all........ I hunted 6 days in 2 states and tagged 4 longbeards. Got to see some truly wild Florida............something most people will never see or even realize exists. Had a pair of picture perfect hunts here at home. Doesn't seem to matter how many years (decades) I've been at this..............it NEVER gets old. It NEVER fails to make my heart race.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice!! What shotgun and load did you use??

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Very nice!! What shotgun and load did you use??

Thank you, sir.

I use an NEF Pardner 20 gauge tricked out by SumToy Customs. Old skool Burris Speed Dot sight on top and shooting Federal Heavy 7's
It's pure murder to any sane distance.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks.. Cool outfit..

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice birds,
I was blessed as well this year limited in 9 days and called in 2 for my buddy to kill.
I have about quit deer hunting as it just doesn't seem as fun as turkey hunting

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Thanks.. Cool outfit..

Appreciate the kind words.

This gun has been my dedicated gun for about my last 7-8 birds. It's been a looooooong evolution from what I started with, through what I used for decades to where I'm at now. The unreal performance from a sub-gauge gun with about 5 moving parts is where I have arrived over 4+ decades. I really think I'm done experimenting.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
That was a great year for sure! Some big tom’s there. Congratulations. 👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4 nice gobblers-----2 Osceola & 2 Eastern. Does that complete your slam? I need an Osceola to complete mine. Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good work!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
4 nice gobblers-----2 Osceola & 2 Eastern. Does that complete your slam? I need an Osceola to complete mine. Bob

Thanks, Bob !! Thanks, fellers, for the kind words.

While not a "slam chaser", the pair of Osceolas finished out two Royal Slams for me (2 each Eastern, Osceola, Rio, Merriam's and Gould's). Don't think I have any desire to seek an Oscellated for the World Slam. I've never registered any of my birds with the NWTF for "official" slam recognition. I just LOVE hunting these birds in all the widely varying terrains that they inhabit. I've killed birds from 50 feet above sea level to 9000 feet. From 20 degrees and snowing sideways to 95 degrees and sweating into my boots. In hayfields and in Christmas tree fields. In pole pines, in mesquite and in centuries old oak hammocks. Every place is special. Every bird is special.

Last edited by Yoder409; 05/06/21.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Congrats on an excellent season! I too enjoyed Spring turkey season tagging 5 gobblers in two States with a variety of shotguns...I enjoyed shooting a couple gobblers with My new Henry single shot but I have to say I still like my old M2 21" camo shotgun best for Spring Turkey hunting. The only thing bad about the glorious Spring Turkey season is that it is far too short, it will be a long year indeed waiting for it to come around again.....Good hunting all....Hb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The only thing bad about the glorious Spring Turkey season is that it is far too short, it will be a long year indeed waiting for it to come around again.....Good hunting all....Hb

Can I get an "AMEN !! " ???

Congrats on your successful season.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks Yoder, same to you 👍.....Hb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like a great season. But I will say if my batting average was as high as yours (4 birds in six hunts) I’d be depressed. I’m going to get my 28th and last hunt in tomorrow morning. With the exception of a couple of insane mornings it’s generally been a tough season. But I’ve loved every single one of them

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Sounds like a great season. But I will say if my batting average was as high as yours (4 birds in six hunts) I’d be depressed. I’m going to get my 28th and last hunt in tomorrow morning. With the exception of a couple of insane mornings it’s generally been a tough season. But I’ve loved every single one of them

I should clarify that I don't bat .667 every spring. I have good years. I have great years. Occasionally I have a slump. That's just turkey huntin'. That aside........ I am depressed. There's 3 weeks of season left here and I'm outta tags. I'd pay handsomely if I were allowed to buy another one, but......... All I can do now is walk around the woods early morning with my coffee cup in hand and binos on my chest. I can look............listen..........watch.........run to the end of my chain and bark. Til next spring.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Nice going, Congrats!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff Yoder, congrats!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice birds, congratulations!
I hunted in Nebraska for three days in mid April. Weather was terrible, snowed sideways one day, and two of three days, wind was 25 mph plus. Third day decent weather. I arrowed one gobbler at nine yards. That’s the only one that came within 50 yards of my blind and decoys. Hunted in Mn for six days. Saw three hens and one gobbler, the gobbler was with a girl friend and was not interested in my calling or decoys. Never the less, I got one and had a good time.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sitting on the porch this morning drinking coffee. heard a gobble about 600 yards downhill. got my scratcher and started yelping. less then 5 minutes.
[Linked Image]

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that is cool

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.