Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have no experience installing or using muzzle breaks. I haven't had the need to use them. I've decided to extend a T/C Contender .30-30 14.5" barrel to 16.25" so it can be used as a carbine. The barrel was threaded concentric to the bore and an extension made which is also concentric to the bore. The muzzle was crowned with a flat recessed crown and the extension seats snug to the muzzle. This will be used mostly with cast bullets. What clearance is generally accepted as right? I was thinking the extension should be bored to about .330. I'm not concerned with a bullet hitting the inside of the extension. I was thinking more about gas or lube affecting accuracy. Would it be better if the inside of the extension were opened with an expansion chamber? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Keep your plowshare and your sword, know when and how to use them.
BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Must be welded and pinned to avoid ATF BS.
Get it threaded and buy a brake that vents all gases forward.
Screw it on and weld and pin it.
This one is 2.85" long.

https://x2devgroup.com/shop/vf18-x-vent-forward-brake/

Have you tried what you already have ?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You’re about right clearance wise. I’ve thought of doing the same thing with my 35Rem Super14 and I still might someday.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the responses. I think a solid extension is about the best way for me to get some use out of that barrel. You may find the same with your .35 Rem (which would have been my first choice in chamberings). I never really used my Contender as a handgun and that barrel has been collecting dust for years. I'm not crazy about 16" barrels either but I think my 8 yr old grandson will enjoy it with some mild cast gallery loads. His dad took his first buck with that Contender frame and a 24" Bullberry barrel in .30-30 at 10 or 11. It was muzzle heavy for him and I had to take the recoil pad off so he could reach the trigger with his heavy clothes on. Since the grandson has been shooting a .22 we sized down for him, he's now a "big guy" and wants to shoot the "big gun', like his dad did. This stubby 16" should handle a lot better for him. I shot it just a little before I cut the ports off and threaded it. A group using the same loads with the extension bored to .330 shot the same but I haven't even started wringing this one out. I still have some odds and ends left to do - work out a scope base with aperature sight and drill/tap for the front ramp. If anyone has different thoughts or experience with clearances on this, I'd sure like to hear it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
As previously posted-
A pistol can have any length Bbl.

You can legally install a 14.5" Bbl w/ a device of 1.5" to the muzzle on your Contender frame as a pistol.

Once that Barrel is configured as a Carbine w/ a shoulder stock,said device has to be pinned & welded or silver brazed by BATF&E requirements.

Seek NFA,SBR regulations to broaden your wisdom.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Must be an echo in here OR the OP cannot read.

"Must be welded and pinned to avoid ATF BS.
Get it threaded and buy a brake that vents all gases forward.
Screw it on and weld and pin it.
This one is 2.85" long.

https://x2devgroup.com/shop/vf18-x-vent-forward-brake/
"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by NYNY
Must be an echo in here OR the OP cannot read.

"Must be welded and pinned to avoid ATF BS.
"

Echo-
must be PINNED prior to WELDING or w/o PIN & Silver Brazed when used w/a shoulder stock.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Actually, OP reads just fine. I am aware of ATF's regulations for permanent attachment and what they require to consider it as permanently attached. My question was regarding clearance for an extension.

I didn't specifically answer NYNY's reply as it didn't address anything to do with my question. No sense wasting bandwidth. I thought someone here may have had some experience with muzzle extensions and lubricated cast bullets. Plenty of people have done this in the past. It would not be difficult to experiment a bit with different extension configurations but with components being difficult to replace, I see no sense reinventing the wheel if someone has already been there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.