Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I tip, moderately, so I guess I'm borderline 'cheapskate'.

I'm surprised nobody has left this here:

THIS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When in college, my son worked as a waiter in a Jakers restaurant. They had a policy that if it wasn't perfect, the meal was free. They had 2 old ladies who came in regularly and always found something wrong to get free food. My son was a perfectionist so the manager always sent him to wait on them. The problem was that they never tipped at all. He had to do twice the work and got nothing for it. He complained to the manager to let others take their turns with them but to no avail.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Had a guy invited by a friend of mine to his lake house for three days of fishing, he brought one steak and two potatoes. He’ll forever be known as “Two tater Tommy”

That same type of dude will stare at a restaurant bill placed in the middle of the table by the waitress like it has fleas.

Alligator Arm people get called out for being white niqqers.

🦫

Nuclear waste, or kryptonite. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hmmmm. Got me thinking. I usually do 20%, but is that considered a cheapskate by today's standards?

Also I would honestly like to know where the expectation for a tip came from. Even taking a fishing trip, I expect to pay 150-175 bucks or so, plus another 50 for the tip. For a guy making 16-17 per hr, it bites that it is an expectation. Granted, there is one guy we go with yearly that we always tip the mate, who is usually his son. But can a captain who makes 600-700 per trip not afford to pay his mate? Some say the only pay the mate gets is tip...kind of makes you feel obligated to tip well. Just never could understand that. Anybody care to enlighten me? What am I missing?

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
got one Dr buddy who will bitch about the cost of little things then dump a chit load of money on young women he thinks actually love him, never learns. came out on judge Judy on time, lol.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Hmmmm. Got me thinking. I usually do 20%, but is that considered a cheapskate by today's standards?

Also I would honestly like to know where the expectation for a tip came from. Even taking a fishing trip, I expect to pay 150-175 bucks or so, plus another 50 for the tip. For a guy making 16-17 per hr, it bites that it is an expectation. Granted, there is one guy we go with yearly that we always tip the mate, who is usually his son. But can a captain who makes 600-700 per trip not afford to pay his mate? Some say the only pay the mate gets is tip...kind of makes you feel obligated to tip well. Just never could understand that. Anybody care to enlighten me? What am I missing?

sometimes those deckhands just want to fish and deckhanding lets them do that so the tip is a bonus. I've been tipped when I fish with my buddy because I'll help his customers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
With the Vid flying around I’ve increased my tipping to the point of borderline stupidity. I’m. very thankful for those willing to work when they could be sitting on their ass making better money.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I usually tip at least 20%, many times more, but tipping has gone full retard in the U.S. A $12 tip at a breakfast place for refilling a cup of coffee? That's crazy and the problem is that it gradually becomes expected as more and more people try to be the big man thinking that cute waitress will actually give you the time of day. Now fast food places are expecting tips for handing you a bag with a burger and fries in it, many even have the tip on the screen if you pay by credit, all for a "server" that never took a step away from the cash register.

Dillonbuck is right, our country is one of the few places where you're expected to tip. I travel for work and in the far east you don't tip, in Japan it's considered an insult to offer a tip, you're basically telling them that they're beneath you. In Europe it's basically round up the change, you'll never see a european leaving a 20% tip in a restaurant, it'll be a couple of euros at most.

I tip more than most because I don't want to be "that guy", but the system is screwed up when we've allowed restaurant owners to shift the burden of paying their employees wages on to the customer instead of themselves. In the long run you're not helping the server so much as padding the restaurant's profit margin.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A lot of people, mostly elderly, are still in the 5% to 10% era, as slumlord said. One time, in Las Cruces, an uncle left a very large tip- $20 then, for what would normally have been a $3- $4 tip for really good service but the service was horrible. I asked him why when a dime would have been more than that waitress deserved. He said simply, "Maybe it will encourage her to do better next time".

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jnyork
What has been your experience with cheapskates? Several mornings ago, we went to breakfast at the local cafe with another couple and an elderly single guy. All these people are well off, not rich but quite comfy . We had a good meal, promptly served by a nice waitress and coffee refreshed 2-3 times. When we go up to leave, the elder single left 50 cents on the table and the couple put down a dollar and a little change. I was kind of surprised as I never thought these people to be the type . I put down my usual 5 , none of them said anything.

They're fugking ass holes.

And your friends.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by chris_c
Biggest one I saw, go out to eat everyone is leaving a nice tip, one guy says I will go up and pay the bill. He pocketed all the tip money. Put it back after i called him on it.

That's not just cheap.
That's a steaming pile of greasy dog shiet.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/06/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Heeler
Don’t get me started on the snowbirds in McAllen and the valley.

Apologies in advance to the snowbirds down there that do tip well.

LMAO

You gotta be one sorry mother fugker to vacation or winter in south Texas.

That's the ass hole of the United States.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Don’t get me started on the snowbirds in McAllen and the valley.

Apologies in advance to the snowbirds down there that do tip well.

LMAO

You gotta be one sorry mother fugker to vacation or winter in south Texas.

That's the ass hole of the United States.

Several years back had a pre-bid conference down there for some construction work. Stopped at a McDonald's for lunch. Old fart was at the counter lamenting at being charged for a second soft drink in addition to the cheap double cheeseburger combo meal he was buying. A couple minutes later his saw his wife cutting that burger in half.

He went over yonder way
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I rarely put a tip on a credit/debit slip. Cash goes to the server. If the employees pool their tip money and split it among the kitchen staff too, that's their business arrangement. Government doesn't need to know. Moreover, some restaurants have been known to steal tip money.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Several years back had a pre-bid conference down there for some construction work. Stopped at a McDonald's for lunch. Old fart was at the counter lamenting at being charged for a second soft drink in addition to the cheap double cheeseburger combo meal he was buying. A couple minutes later his saw his wife cutting that burger in half.

I cannot fathom going to that area voluntarily.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
That's why they have money.

I have an uncle that has saved and/or invested 30% of every paycheck he has ever made. Chemical engineer that traveled the world. Millions and millions and he still made my aunt hang clothes out to dry outside instead of buying her a dryer. He was in his 80s before he bought his first "new" car. She died from cancer in the mid '90s. She never got to enjoy any of it, no vacations, nothing. What he has done, was give each grandchild the max gift of 10k, I believe its 14k now every year for christmas. They are graduating highschool with 180k each and whatever it has earned over the years.

Last edited by killerv; 05/06/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave

I cannot fathom going to that area voluntarily.

At the time I did notice a startling lack of nice, sit-down type restaurants.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by killerv
That's why they have money.

No it isn't.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

At the time I did notice a startling lack of nice, sit-down type restaurants.

I've never seen a bigger bunch of cousin fugking retards than in south Texas.

It's one thing to be born into it, anybody that winters there should be shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Imagine a waitress on a $15/hour minimum wage.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,818
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.