Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A .243 is a 6mm, a 6mm creed, is between a .243 and a .243 A.I. pretty much the same thing, or same-o same-o, you won't change much but the name, if it feels good do it. Rio7

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What I’m most concerned about is throat erosion in the 243 with the shallow shoulder angle. I know it’s not efficient to use a 243 for prairie dogs... but it sure is fun.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a "sort of" .243/cow elk experience. Back in May of 2001, I was recovering from a neck fusion surgery I had done in late 2000. I had read a story by Mike Venturino (sp?) about the the wildcat 6x47mm ( 222 Mag/6mm) He touted it as a very good combo coyote/deer round. I was "only allowed" by the surgeon to shoot non-recoiling firearms ( his words, said in front of my wife! uh oh! ha) so I had a muzzlebrake put on an existing 220 Swift and used it successfully on mule deer & exotics. (Prior to this hunt) I then had a Model 700 SA made up with a 27 inch barrel in 6x47mm. I shot the Barnes 85 XBT aa solid 2900fps ( short barrel 243 speeds easily) I killed an Axis doe, a big Axis buck and then I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I made a trade with the Rancher for another rifle I had and some money for a Scimitar Horned Oryx. The outfitter was a little nervous about my light rifle, but we had hunted many times together and he knew I would wait on the right shot. We got a bull and a few cows, and could not get closer than 184yds ( lasered range finder) I was on my knees (grass a bit high) held the rifle against a sapling and I shot the bull at the base of the neck. He dropped straight down. I walked up and from 75yds I gave him an insurance shot ( on his side, his chest was facing me and I out one it in. He was already dead, but get this.,. The neck shot was a complete pass through and the 2nd shot penetrated and broke/stopped in the backbone! It weight 83gr if I remember right, ha. This was a big oryx, and though we guesstimated "500 pds" he was most like closer to 375 or a tad more. Cow elk sized. A fluke? No, I "intentionally" shot the thing "on purpose", ha. It was "the only rifle I had, at that time, that I was allowed to use, and it was either that or stay home! I enjoyed the experience, I love to tell that story, ha, but I really do like to use a bigger rifle on elk. I've only killed 4 cow elk (no bulls at all!) smallest round was a 30-06, largest a .375 H&H! But man is it fun! To each his own Pard, if "you" know you can shoot it, go for it!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/05/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by OGB
I know this is an elk forum and I'm not trying to highjack. I mostly hunt deer in coastal Carolina. They are small. I've killed deer with my 243 but don't like that it doesn't give me a blood trail. Before everyone chimes in on my "abilities", shot placement was never the issue. Center punch the lungs above the heart and the deer generally go 20-40yds (my experience with factory ammo). Coastal Carolina has some badass bush and without blood on the ground sometimes you almost have to trip over the animal to find it. I believe in complete pass through, 2 holes let in more air and let out more blood. I'm just getting going with reloading, what bullet will give me the blood trail I want? (I currently have 100gr boat tail Interlocks and 100gr partitions)

Again, not trying to highjack, this seems like the right "cast of characters" to answer the question.

A Hornady Interlock tight behind the front leg will do all you ever need on any deer, or most else you may hunt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is a management Bull killed by a disabled vet, just before Christmas last year, 1 shot DRT, .243 100 Gr. Factory Blue box. Rio7

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Add to the above post, this was a spot and stalk hunt, took about 2 hours to get a shot off sticks standing at 227 yards, This Bull dropped like a wet rag. Rio7

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Hornady Interlock.
Good bullets.

I think .24 cal is the legal minimum in CO.

Never hunted with a 243win. I had one once. It was a target rifle. One of the most accurate I ever had.

I wouldn't discouraged its use if a hunter desired it.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
Hornady Interlock.
Good bullets.

I think .24 cal is the legal minimum in CO.

CO minimum for elk is 24 caliber and bullet weight min is 85gr.

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunting elk in western Montana this days, a guy should take into consideration grizzly bears.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Hunted cow elk in central Montana last two years. No grizz in area. Last fall a hunter shot a cow at about 200 yards with a .243 using 100 grain Hornady bullets. Shot twice but probably did not need to shoot second time since both shots were in same place. Animal fell near shot impact. Another hunter was using a .375 H&H with TTSX bullets. Shot six times, hitting animal 5 times at about 100 yards with animal standing and not running. Animal finally fell over after last shot and all shots should have been lethal within a few inches of each other. Bullet selection and shot placement is probably more important than caliber, based on this example of one.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RIO7

This is a management Bull killed by a disabled vet, just before Christmas last year, 1 shot DRT, .243 100 Gr. Factory Blue box. Rio7

Cool stuff Rio. Good to see you taking care of them Vets!

Semper Fi
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

What is a “management bull”? You on a high fence operation?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
WAM, A management Bull is a bull that has not reached his potential for his age, yes these Elk are in a 20000 acre high fence pasture, We have our guest disabled vets take them if we can find them, Now tell me what you are doing to help our disabled vets? and improve the hunting where you are ??? Rio7

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alright fellas, no need for pizzin match.

Just stories and theories 😂 on using the 243.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Hunted cow elk in central Montana last two years. No grizz in area. Last fall a hunter shot a cow at about 200 yards with a .243 using 100 grain Hornady bullets. Shot twice but probably did not need to shoot second time since both shots were in same place. Animal fell near shot impact. Another hunter was using a .375 H&H with TTSX bullets. Shot six times, hitting animal 5 times at about 100 yards with animal standing and not running. Animal finally fell over after last shot and all shots should have been lethal within a few inches of each other. Bullet selection and shot placement is probably more important than caliber, based on this example of one.

Over penetrated pass through lung shots leave a lot to be desired for quick kills, especially at shorter ranges. Barnes monos will do that. Outcome would have seen different results if the shoulder was taken with a couple shots. Age old argument regarding penetration vs expansion. Barnes bullets are great on bones and muscle, not as good on soft tissue as others. If you’re shooting lungs the Hornady SST is literally the bomb.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WAM, A management Bull is a bull that has not reached his potential for his age, yes these Elk are in a 20000 acre high fence pasture, We have our guest disabled vets take them if we can find them, Now tell me what you are doing to help our disabled vets? and improve the hunting where you are ??? Rio7

I am pretty sure that WAM is a disabled vet, as am I.

Anyhow I always thought a "management" bull was one that may or may not have reached it's full potential for age, but either way due to (usually) poor genetics they would never have real desirable antlers, regardless of age. As a result they are culled to get their genetics out of the gene pool and usually at a steep discount. Am I wrong about that? Plenty of people weed them out on public land too if they can't find the big trophy they're after. Whether that "improves" the hunting is debatable, depending on what the management goals are.

Anyways to the OP: I cna't say anything more about the .243 Win and elk than what has already been said. It is fine with most any bullet designed for hunting. I'd avoid FMJs and varmint bullets, but that's about it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

T Inman, We have always felt the disabled vets and their family's, cannot be thanked enough for what they have suffered to make this a safe place for all of us, and I THANK YOU for your service.

As for Management Bull Elk, we are on the same page, we give ours to vet's, as most of them will never get a chance or be able to do a Rocky Mountain hunt, we have put a lot of effort into making this a disabled friendly ranch, Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

T Inman, We have always felt the disabled vets and their family's, cannot be thanked enough for what they have suffered to make this a safe place for all of us, and I THANK YOU for your service.

As for Management Bull Elk, we are on the same page, we give ours to vet's, as most of them will never get a chance or be able to do a Rocky Mountain hunt, we have put a lot of effort into making this a disabled friendly ranch, Rio7

That’s cool [bleep]. Another disabled Vet here as well, although there are many worse than I.

Not to kick off on a tangent but the hunting and outdoors opportunities for some disabled vets has been a true lifesaver, literally.

Semper Fi
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ri

Rio7,
Thank you ever so much for your service and generosity toward our veterans. God bless you and others who do likewise.

I was not pizzing about your management bull nor your fences. Just merely asking about the term used, as in my ignorance I had only heard it used in reference to deer culling. As T Inman said, I’m a 100% disabled vet myself but I manage to hunt on my own thankfully. I guess I should be doing more for more disabled vets than myself.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

WAM, I am sorry I came back so sharply, in the past we have heard a lot of crap about hunting on a high fence ranch, from the holier than hell couch hunters, that think we are shooting critters in pens, i can assure you on this ranch that is not true. over the years we have made some great friends with our vets, and have enjoyed seeing their lives improve from year to year. hunting and fishing is great moral and confidence builder for our vets and they love getting together and shooting and hunting and eating, B.S.ing, with each other, it's a pleasure for us to make this happen. THANK YOU !! Rio7

Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.