Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I quit bow hunting in 1972 and took shooting a bow up again two years ago. Our local club had a 3-D shoot and I thought I'd give it a try, OH BOY what a learning experience. In the 16years I hunted with a bow I never took over a 30 yard shot at a deer. Most of the shots were 40-55 yards and way beyond what I ever even tried to practice at, amazing how far an arrow drops in just a few yards at that distance. Needles to say I shot over or under just about all of the targets out there. By the 17th stand I was frustrated and getting tired in the heat and forgot to knock an arrow and dryfired my bow and wrecked it. The guy at the bowshop went over it and I didn't break anything and he was able to restring it for me.

Even with all the frustration it was FUN and I'm looking forward to the next shoot and will spend a lot more time shooting the longer ranges before hand.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It used to be all classes to 60 yards IBO way back.
Then they changed it, Bowhunter to 35, MBR to 45 and the top dogs play out to 60.
Think trad is 25 and under.
I dunno, I always shot trad from the BH and MBR stakes
Longer is fun, esp when you lob one in the spot w people watching.

smile

Last edited by hookeye; 05/06/21.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Made a great memory there at the very least.

For me, shooting the bows (trad) to 30 yards, feels like shooting a 308Win at 1000 yards.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Low # makes it tough if going unconscious gap

But you might get lucky and have a usable " point on " distance and use the arrow as a sight.

My bud does and has won state.

There are tricks ( pluses and minuses ) to everything.
My 3d gear, wheels or trad, was the same crap I hunted with.

Considered it fun, and hunting practice, and even won some stuff. IBO started changing in late 80s and IMHO not for the better.

Nowadays I just hit a few shoots w buds and just try to better my own scores.

Dont even turn in my card.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I call them long range novelty shoots. I just go in knowing that the shots will be longer than my hunting shot and roll with it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wheels Ill shoot deer to 45 yards.
Trad is max of 30. So most shoots are fine w me.
Dont care for the ones that set targets around 40 w nothing but the river behind. One or two targets like that is OK, but more than that is just somebody wanting to sell arrows.
Same for rock face backstops.

I can shoot well farther, but time of flight and other things says ( to me ) to not do it hunting ( lowly whitwtail hunter ).

After gun season when deer are spooky my max D is less.

Do like thread the needle stuff off and on.

Since i dont turn in my card anymore.....just write NOT FOR SCORE on it right off and make sure the person handing it out sees/ knows it.

That way if I think a shot sucks on the course I can just make up my own. And yes, if its a boring shot, my buds and I might actually make one tougher.

Challenge and fun. Not wrecking equipment.... but a little fear isnt a bad thing once in a while wink

Last edited by hookeye; 05/07/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The club I shoot 3D is run by and for hunters. Targets vary in size, from rabbit to red stags - even a bear (not that we're ever going to hunt one of those here!). Distances vary too - usually 20 - 45 yards, though often the last target of the round will be out a bit further, just to make it a bit interesting - it has certainly showed me why past about 45 yards in the field is out of range.

No-one's competing for a sheep station though, so it is up to you if you want to have a second go at a target, or get a bit closer, or pass. It is meant to be fun, as well as being good practice. We'll go around once or twice and then have a few snags on the barbie.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I always ran hunting gear, but higher # and that made the longer shots a lot easier.

Bowfishinh buddy ran the NAP quick spin vanes. Won the IBO Triple Crown in Hunter class w em.

Hunter class is to 35 yards.

Those vanes had too much drag ( more spin than necessary) which made them damn near paratrooper in at 45 yards LOL ( MBR class ).

Its a game.

One can do well with hunting gear but if you want to burn up a course, even a hunter friendly one, youre gonna have to invest in some gear and or planning.

Maybe diff arrows.

At least change your nocks to black.....that way if you pinwheel the bullseye you dont give the next guy in your group an aiming point wink

Last edited by hookeye; 05/10/21.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
That shoot was long range! Never saw that before

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't take long shots. Too easy to be off just enough to wound the animal. So I don't practice long shots, either.

I've started enjoying trad shooting. Shot from 15 to 25 yards on 3D shoots are the norm. with the occasional 12 yard rabbit and 40 yard Buffalo. Lots of fun to be had.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Forgot to knock an arrow? Try golfing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP - do you have a rangefinder? You shouldn’t have those types of misses with a modern bow and a good rangefinder.

I’m probably on the opposite end of the spectrum from most, I practice fairly often to 100+ yards. 45-60 is a normal day for me shooting in the backyard. Have shot targets out to 130 at the Total Archery Challenge.

That said, when hunting I prefer them to as close as possible. Have killed elk and deer out to 55 or so, 15-25 is perfect though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Trad or wheels, in 3D I like the longer shots.
With most trad stuff 25 yards and in.....it a friggin yawner.
Novelty stuff past 100 are a lot of fun.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/23/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Farmland was last weekend. Have not gotten a report back from my buds

Last edited by hookeye; 06/05/21.
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I went to my second 3D shoot and redemption. not great but a happy camper. I missed one target by not ranging it correctly other wise it was a lot more fun when you don't have to search for arrow.

Time to get into coyote hunting, went out today and shot my bow with my shaggy coat and off my chair, lots of dead cardboard coyotes. Now if I can get a live one to hold still or at least walk slowly..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A long time ago a friend and I were a little burnt out with 3D so we would enter the clubs shoots as free style unlimited then shoot 10 freestyle 10 recurve no sights and 10 longbow/flatbow all from the unlimited stakes. We bet big I think it was $1 per 10 and $1 total.
Had a ball and freaked a lot of people out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shoot split finger for longer shots. Point on distance probably near 45 yards. Determine your point on distanfe, then find the distance ( further than " point on" for an "11" with putting the arrow tip on the top of the back. Then find the distance ( closer ) where you get an "11" by holding the point on the bottom fur line. Know thosevthree distances, with those " aiming points" and your score will increase.

Use 3 under if course has closer targets. Point on distance is around 35 yards. Do the same thing to determine distances for "top fur line", "point on" and "bottom fur line. "

You only compete against yourself.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.