Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CSBfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone have one? I'm curious how different it is from a single six besides the obvious differences - fixed sights, cereakote finish. Is it just a budget version of the single six or a new design with (potentially) less longevity? Seems like they must've cheapened it up in more ways than the ones I mentioned, since it's under $200.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, the Single Six is a deluxe cheeseburger made just for you at your favorite Diner.

The Wrangler is a burger from McD's

If a McD's burger is good enough for you, then buy a Wrangler.

Last edited by Uncle_Alvah; 05/06/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wuger Wangler? Ho Wee Wow 🤠

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one in grey and am quite impressed with it. It has a nice crisp action and is well fitted and finished. It functions perfectly and shoots accurately. The sights were perfect for windage but it shot about 4 inches low at 25 yards. It took me about 15 minutes of file and trial until I had it perfectly sighted in. I did install a Wolf spring kit as I would have with a Single Six. Cocking is now buttery smooth and the trigger pull is about 2 1/2 pounds. I actually like it better than a Single Six for my purposes, because it has a bit better western flavor with the fixed sights.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
all ruger rimfire single action revolvers are fine pieces: single six, bearcat, wrangler. i have each. all different like your kids, but you love each equally for themselves. as the least expensive you cannot go wrong with a wrangler and if you stop there you will have no regrets. there is so much in favor of any of these rugers as a plinker and teaching/learning tool.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
IMO, the Single Six is a deluxe cheeseburger made just for you at your favorite Diner.

The Wrangler is a burger from McD's

If a McD's burger is good enough for you, then buy a Wrangler.

There it is, right there. I have both a Single Six and a Wrangler. Sadly, the POI of the Wrangler is only vaguely on the same page (target), mine hits 3 inches high and 3 inches left of POA @ 25 yards. It's somewhat better with SV ammo, but only a bit. It's nice and light, but I sure won't take my chances on another one.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 05/08/21.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It’s a budget version with different manufacturing methods and materials. But using it is close to the same. The action is a littke rough . It’s a great bang for your buck though

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It beats the hell out of the Heritage Rough Rider, and if I happen to drop it in the Swamp chasing Hog's......I won't lose sleep over the cost of it.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by frogman43
It beats the hell out of the Heritage Rough Rider, and if I happen to drop it in the Swamp chasing Hog's......I won't lose sleep over the cost of it.....

Oddly, I preferred the Heritage over the Wrangler.

Yup.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AKduck
Originally Posted by frogman43

Oddly, I preferred the Heritage over the Wrangler.

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider for my daughter as a plinker and am pleasantly surprised by it. It shoots to the point of aim, the trigger is very nice on it, I even like the safety on it, its is unobtrusive and works very well, the Heritage actually feels and looks better than the Wrangler to me. I really don't know how it could be beat for $119.00.

drover

Last edited by drover; 05/09/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got two gray ones that me and my son have shot a lot. Both of them shoot to point of aim with cheap (it was cheap at one time) bulk ammo. Haven't had a problem with either one and they seem durable. I also have an older single six that I have shot a little. And yea.....The Wrangler is just a budget Single Six.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you get one that hits where you want it to you're good to go.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I very much hate the heritage. Every time someone wants one 2 employees are tied up for an hour for a $109 piece of [bleep] pot metal toy. Always a deaf old guy and always screw up their 4473 and Don't listen to a damn thing we say, wants to re-live 1951 and will shoot it 20 times and leave it in the closet.

We just roll our eyes when someone asks for one. What a waste of time and manpower.

The wrangler seems quite nice in comparison and is a good deal.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 05/12/21.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've had several heritages--never lost money on any of them---always found them reliable---at $129 I think it's a better deal plus the mag cylinder for $30 is a steal

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I very much hate the heritage. Every time someone wants one 2 employees are tied up for an hour for a $109 piece of [bleep] pot metal toy. Always a deaf old guy and always screw up their 4473 and Don't listen to a damn thing we say, wants to re-live 1951 and will shoot it 20 times and leave it in the closet.

We just roll our eyes when someone asks for one. What a waste of time and manpower.

It takes the shop I use one person and about about 10-15 minutes to sell a gun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ruger came out yesterday that the wrangler will be offered in 12 colors now

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

There are pros and cons with the HRR as there is with anything.

Some things like the stupid plastic manual safety and the plastic ejector rod are a turn-off for me. Also, the fact that the barrel is cemented in to the receiver using micro-threads (their words) and loc-tite does not make me want one.

The HRR is made from ZAMAC alloy (probably ZA-5) which is about 92% zinc, and has a painted finish. But, it does have a mild steel blued cylinder.

And, the HRR uses breakable old-fashioned flat springs like a C&B revolver does, while the Wrangler uses the same modern set of coil and torsion music wire springs that the Single Six does.

Accuracy is variable, depending on the sample. Reportedly, some shoot well, while others shoot way off.

Finally, the HRR presents a clunky appearance with a bit over-sized grips, which you might expect from the least expensive bargain-priced revolver.

But, all in all, if you just want a very low-priced plinker it's okay.

It should be remembered also that the Henry .22 rifles, which are high-quality, use painted ZAMAC ZA-5 inner receivers and action covers.

And that Ruger 10-22 rifles have plastic barrel bands and plastic trigger groups with plastic triggers. Also, Mossberg 500 and 590 pump shotguns have plastic trigger groups and safety buttons. Yet these are reliable and quality guns.

The Ruger Wrangler uses an an aluminum cylinder frame instead of ZAMAC, but the grip frame is ZAMAC. The internal parts are MIM cast steel.

Overall, the Wrangler is better quality, has a better finish, and looks better. It's accuracy is more consistent, sample to sample. But it costs a bit more.

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/13/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It sounds to me like mjbgalt has a hate on for senior citizens. While he may regard every old guy as a stupid no-nothing old fart, the truth is that a lot of us have forgotten more about guns than most guns clerks will ever learn.

I get this a lot as an old guy in my 60s, based solely on appearance. I get branded as an ignorant Fudd, even though I have owned and shot everything from cap & ball revolvers, to a bunch of military rifles, to target .22's, to numerous autoloading pistols, to Old West rifles and revolvers,to AR-15's and AK's, and even to SMG's.

I'm not your typical old fart weekend hunter at all. I know my stuff.

And PaulBarnard is right. Bargain-priced guns sell fast.

Especially if you are respectful and polite to the people that buy them, instead of contemptuous and ignorant.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlegun
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It sounds to me like mjbgalt has a hate on for senior citizens. While he may regard every old guy as a stupid no-nothing old fart, the truth is that a lot of us have forgotten more about guns than most guns clerks will ever learn.

I get this a lot as an old guy in my 60s, based solely on appearance. I get branded as an ignorant Fudd, even though I have owned and shot everything from cap & ball revolvers, to a bunch of military rifles, to target .22's, to numerous autoloading pistols, to Old West rifles and revolvers,to AR-15's and AK's, and even to SMG's.

I'm not your typical old fart weekend hunter at all. I know my stuff.

And PaulBarnard is right. Bargain-priced guns sell fast.

Especially if you are respectful and polite to the people that buy them, instead of contemptuous and ignorant.

Gun shop employees are typically low wage flunkees who can't find work doing anything else. It is not unusual for them to hold some level of contempt toward customers. It's actually pretty common in specialty retail. If the customer really does know their schidt, the customer is a pig-headed know-it-all. If the customer doesn't know anything, they are a dumbass.

I know what it's like being behind the counter too. I have worked in several gun shops. You do have customers who are frighteningly ill informed. You also have blowhards who are flat out wrong. Then there are those bored old timers. It takes a little art to keep them from being a major time suck. It can take good diplomatic skills to find the sweet spot with the various kinds of customers. If you are going to, you have to be willing to. It can take humility. It can take patience. It must be rooted in an appreciation for the fact that the annoyance is what puts food on your table. It is impossible, if you hold the customer in contempt for any reason.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I got mine from Bud's, don't mess with locals.

I know, I know, support your LGS, but the ones I have access to aren't that impressive, aren't something I care to support. Or, said another way, they don't deserve my support, haven't earned my support.

My Wrangler shoots pretty close to POA and is about as accurate as my Single Six Flat Gate. Trigger is pretty good, considering.

I think Ruger knocked this one out the park, home run. Lot of gun for the buck.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.