Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a Ruger 77 Mark II. The trigger was 5.5lb and lots of creep and lots of over-travel. I clipped the trigger return spring and got it to 4.5lb with lots of creep and lots of over-travel..
That is where it is right now.
I've looked at Brownell's products they have for sale, a Timney and a Basix It appeared to me that the Basix is the better buy - easier to install and easier to adjust.
What have you guys done/recommend with 77 Mark II triggers?

Last edited by Bugger; 03/09/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have always used Timneys on MkII/Hawkeyes, its not a big deal to install, maybe 15-20 minutes. just file-test fit and repeat until it goes. Its a nice trigger once installed.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found the Ruger 77 triggers a piece of cake to rectify. Spring work and a little stoning with a fine grade oil stone. Lots of video and instructions on line.

1Minute
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I own several M77’s. One had a Timney trigger in it when I bought it. I like it. I will probably replace the trigger In 2 of my others. I would like to know more about the basix. I will be following.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I too modify the Ruger trigger. Lighter spring and just a touch of stone.
http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i29.html for product and instructions.

Last edited by Fury01; 04/02/21.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The timney is a pain in the ass on the mk11. The tangers aren't bad at all. You need to remove quite a bit of steel on the 3 position safety to get it functioning.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2
The timney is a pain in the ass on the mk11. The tangers aren't bad at all. You need to remove quite a bit of steel on the 3 position safety to get it functioning.

Hmmm... I've installed Timneys in both MKIIs and tang safety M77s and thought just the opposite. Yes, you need to remove material on the 3 position safety, but it doesn't take that long and it's a simple process with a file and maybe 10 min of fitting. There's no way around the fact that some fitting is required due to the Ruger safety design and the fact it's a cast part with a fair amount of dimensional variation. The Timney trigger for the tang safety has a safety transfer bar that protrudes out the left side of the trigger further than the stock Ruger trigger, requiring a fairly significant amount of material be removed from the left side of the tang inletting in the stock to provide clearance.

Ted
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Save you money and try this. Easy. Spend your money on a hunt or ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've found the Ruger 77 triggers a piece of cake to rectify. Spring work and a little stoning with a fine grade oil stone. Lots of video and instructions on line.

That's what I do too. Very easy to get them safely down to 2.5 pounds. Be careful with the drawing above that butler247 posted. I generally don't remove as much material from the sear. I like a little more engagement for safety reasons. Go slow and check often if you decide to grind/hone your factory M77 trigger. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have done several as well, including a M77 MkII Express .338. Bsa1917hunter’s counsel is good. I’ve only gone too far once, then installed a Timney. And that’s the worst; not too bad at all, given that most have been a crisp and quite safe 3#.

Last edited by GF1; 05/05/21.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have Timneys in a couple, and I've just replaced the spring on others with good results

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I recently bought a Ruger 77 Mark II. The trigger was 5.5lb and lots of creep and lots of over-travel. I clipped the trigger return spring and got it to 4.5lb with lots of creep and lots of over-travel..
That is where it is right now.
I've looked at Brownell's products they have for sale, a Timney and a Basix It appeared to me that the Basix is the better buy - easier to install and easier to adjust.
What have you guys done/recommend with 77 Mark II triggers?

Agree with Basix. Easier to set up and the price is better. And, I'm generally a Timney fan.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ruger can be fantastic in 20 minutes and a little stoning.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was able to do a good trigger job using original factory parts. But, the Basix set up is definitely better. The way their trigger spring is designed allowing for sensitive changes in pull weight is truly innovative. I couldn't reproduce that even with spring replacement, honing parts, etc.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Butler247

That's what I used. You gotta be careful taking that much angle off the trigger part, as you can end up with creep. So, if you're using that schematic, go slow and go easy. Don't start off with the specs shown there. It's probably too much.

Even with a softer spring, you can feel over travel. But that can be corrected with an epoxy knob on the forward part of the trigger, trimmed to allow the sear to clear without excessive over travel. The Basix doesn't need the over travel stop the way it's set up. Once the sear is released, you don't feel over travel, even though there is no trigger stop per se.

I've not messed with the Timney because of the way a cut is required for the safety. I've seen one Timney for a Ruger completely messed up by someone who didn't know what he was doing. The Basix with its innovative eccentric safety engagement screw is really fast, easy to adjust and it works. No critical cut is required. It's hard to mess up the Basix, no so with the Timney. I did put a drop of Loctite on the safety screw lock nut.

Good luck with factory parts. Go easy and you may end up with what you're looking for. If not, go with the Basix.

DF

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Schmidtx2

This was my experience when I installed a Timney on my Hawkeye 257 Roberts. The Timney spring was too light so I used the original spring.

But after all that work it is a fantastic trigger.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have Timneys in a couple, and I've just replaced the spring on others with good results

On the newer LC6 trigger, that is all that is needed sometimes, but with the older m77 mkII rifles, I've never had one that was livable with just a spring replacement. Careful honing, polishing and lighter spring always yields a safe 2.5 pound pull on all of my rifles. Never needed a Timney in any of my MKII's. In my m1917's, hell yes. Timney makes great triggers, but the mkII doesn't need them.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I am a big fan of the rifle basix trigger i've installed 2, one in my Compact MKII 260 and one in my M77/22 hornet. Shooting became much more enjoyable

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Butler247

That's what I used. You gotta be careful taking that much angle off the trigger part, as you can end up with creep. So, if you're using that schematic, go slow and go easy. Don't start off with the specs shown there. It's probably too much.

Even with a softer spring, you can feel over travel. But that can be corrected with an epoxy knob on the forward part of the trigger, trimmed to allow the sear to clear without excessive over travel. The Basix doesn't need the over travel stop the way it's set up. Once the sear is released, you don't feel over travel, even though there is no trigger stop per se.

I've not messed with the Timney because of the way a cut is required for the safety. I've seen one Timney for a Ruger completely messed up by someone who didn't know what he was doing. The Basix with its innovative eccentric safety engagement screw is really fast, easy to adjust and it works. No critical cut is required. It's hard to mess up the Basix, no so with the Timney. I did put a drop of Loctite on the safety screw lock nut.

Good luck with factory parts. Go easy and you may end up with what you're looking for. If not, go with the Basix.

DF

Good advice.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.