Print Thread
Hop To
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
After waiting many weeks, my MBT trigger arrived Saturday.

Today, I got around to installing it. I found that the trigger pin for the LaRue is smaller than the factory Colt pin.

Is this something I could take to a skilled machinist and have him fix? Specifically, I'd be having him drill out the hole in the LaRue trigger to accept the larger Colt pin.

I'm no gunsmith or machinist, but it seems to me that as long as the newly drilled hole was concentric to the existing smaller hole, it shouldn't change the geometry of the trigger group at all.

Thoughts? If it doesn't sound feasible, I might be able to make some long-suffering trigger seeker happy with a *very* fast sale on a top-shelf trigger that won't fit my AR.

KP

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have the large pin trigger, I am guessing you have the sear block also??

K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
What I got is what Colt put in it.

As I mentioned, I am neither a gunsmith or a machinist. This was supposed to be a drop-in job.

FWIW, the hammer pin and trigger pin on my original trigger group are identical in size. The new LaRue is smaller, hence the headaches.

KP

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Colt installed sear blocks in their lowers during the 90’s and if I remember correctly the timing coincided with the large pin triggers.

The point is some triggers (not all) will not work with sear block. The other issue with sear block if you change your bolt carrier most commercial bolt carriers will not work with the sear block.

Colt Trigger Sear Block Info

Last edited by Mike70560; 05/03/21.
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Thank you Mike. That link was very helpful.

KP

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BTW who ever at Colt made the decision to go to the large trigger pins and install the sear blocks should be beat with an HBar barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mike70560
BTW who ever at Colt made the decision to go to the large trigger pins and install the sear blocks should be beat with an HBar barrel.

Amen to that!!! I'm glad mine doesn't have the sear block. The trigger is too good to replace and I want to keep it all original, so it may be a small pin or large pin. I haven't measured it. I spent time looking for a pre ban without the sear block and lucked into one and almost bought another. Great rifles, but some of their ideas and reasoning behind changing chidt like that baffles the mind. Op, you may have to buy a trigger for your rifle. If you need to trip the one you just got, it would be easy to sell here. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
K. P.,

Just to be a little mean this is my Colt lower. The mean part is it has Millazo-Krieger MKII LARGE PIN trigger installed by Millazo himself back in the late 90s. Great trigger, it was the first of the good two stage triggers for the AR. The sear block has Colt written on it.

The bottom picture is how the bolt carriers have to be cut to work with the sear block. The carrier one on the left I had machined by a local company, the right one is a factory Colt bolt.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Mike70560; 05/04/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll buy that trigger from you, KP.

Politics is War by Other Means
K
K_P Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'll buy that trigger from you, KP.

I shot my mouth off a little too quickly on that matter. I wound up giving it to my son. He's pretty happy with the gift!

KP

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K_P, Just get a large pin trigger and rock on. Two of mine have the large pins, too. I put SSA-E's in all mine, but there are others out there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lessdog, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.