Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I thought I would share my experiences having recently crossed the border.

I waited 21 days after my second Pfizer shot to travel to Minneapolis to visit my sister. Iam among the 2.4% of fully vaccinated Canadians.. When I stopped at US Customs the border guard asked my purpose in coming to US as I handed him my passport card. I said I was going to visit my sick sister in MPLS. He said “Well you should get vaccinated while you are down here.” I informed him I already was vaccinated. He seemed suprised by that and said lots of people were coming thru to get vaccinated. I specifically asked him if coming down to get a vaccine shot was an essential reason to cross the border—he said “It is to me.”

I knew I would need to get tested before I came back so I called a local Pharmacy near my sisters residence to get tested—you have to schedule on-line—no walk-ups. I asked about how much the test would cost. The girl at the pharmacy told me to fill out the form on-line and fib on the address—put down your sisters address. We need an email address, your birth date, a phone number and a street address but we don’t ask for any ID. Test is then free. They scheduled a test for an hour later and asked if I wanted to get vaccinated at same time.

There are 2 types of tests—saliva test with results in 15 minutes or PCR test which takes up to 48 hours. If PCR test is positive they will call right away and be prepared to state where you have been and who you talked to. To return to Canada you have to have the PCR test.

The fun began when I got back to the border 2 days later. I was dragging a used Pontoon boat I had purchased—I’ve done this before so I knew the procedure on the duty for the Pontoon and trailer. Border Guard asked me how much trouble it was to get into the US—he assumed my purpose was to pick-up the pontoon—I told him the truth —it wasn’t any problem. He seemed really pissed about that. Then he spent 2 hours threating me with million dollar fines and 3 years in jail if I didn’t comply with quarentine restrictions.

The quarentine procedure is a whole nother post!

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Wow, interesting. I think it highlights the difference between private and government run health care systems. Funny that the US is allowing Canadians in to get vaccinated !! Here in Yukon a BC couple is getting charged because they came to Yukon to get the vaccine. They are facing some stiff penalties.

Canada has really made a mess out of the vaccine roll out. Wonder why the Canadian custom guy was mad about the fact that you were allowed into the US ? Jealousy ?

Would like to hear about your quarantine experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yukon254 & kkahmann;
Good morning to you both, I trust that as much as is in your control that your respective worlds are at least okay.

Thanks for the US vaccine update, that's interesting to hear for sure.

While this isn't vaccine related, it does deal with cross border travel so will offer this up.

Last week my brother and sister in law returned from them being in Mexico for nearly 3 months while she underwent radical cancer treatment that's not available here.

I'd told my brother that I'd heard if they had a letter from their doctor in Canada as well as the doctor(s) in Mexico, that they were supposed to be able to skip the whole forced hotel stay scenario.

They got letters - several I guess - from Canada and Mexico - and he said the only thing Canada Customs said was theirs was the best documentation they'd seen to date and they sincerely wished my sister in law well.

I want to say the only glitch in their quarantine experience is that they were supposed to be sent beer flu tests in the mail from the government - they tested before getting on the flight in San Diego, then upon arrival in Canada, but there's another one maybe a few days later???

Anyways, they're extremely rural so quarantine is a way of life on the farm, especially in planting and harvest, so they'll be fine.

Lastly, I find it sobering that all her doctors in Canada encouraged her in the strongest possible terms to go to Mexico for this treatment. It's a bit of a condemnation on our system I'd suggest that we can't get "world class" treatment here isn't it?

This isn't anything weird and out there either, it's an approved treatment and surgery process that if it works as it appears to have done, will allow her to live. Her condition was such that the Canadian doctors didn't think she'd live through what we offer here.

Anyways, it's not just the senior care here in Canada that we're not doing well. Not that it's a news flash for anyone, just offering personal perspective and nothing more.

All the very best to you both and your respective families as well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
what radical cancer treatment is available in Mexico that is not available in the USA..

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was going to ask about the quarantine Karl, but you answered.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
what radical cancer treatment is available in Mexico that is not available in the USA..

Hubert;
Good morning sir, I hope the day's a good one in your part of the world.

I'm not sure it's not available in the US, I was just given to understand it's not available here in Canada.

She had a malignant brain tumor, but more specific than that I'm sorry I've misplaced that information in my memory.

They were in Tijuana where the clinic specialized in cancer and gastric surgery. My brother said there were folks from all over the world there, but many from the US as well as other Canadians. It's apparently set up along with a hotel where patients and family can stay during treatment.

As well, I want to say that a good number of the doctors there were from San Diego, but have their practice in Tijuana in that clinic.

Again, sorry I can't be more specific, but they treated the brain tumor, then operated to remove it after the treatment and at this point it appears they were succesful.

Hopefully that helped and was more clear. All the best.

Dwayne

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne I sincerely hope your sister in law beats it. A good friend of ours is in the same boat and she also goes to Mexico on a regular basis for treatment. She has breast cancer, and has been going to Mexico for 8 years now. She believes that is the reason she is still alive.

Lots of good doctors down in that part of the world that are not influenced by big Pharma. I urge anyone suffering from MS to check out the doctor in Columbia that is curing 95% of MS patients with high dose vitamin D.

Cool and cloudy here. Spring may arrive soon though.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Dwayne—I hope the best for your SIL—I lost my wife to Lung Cancer years ago but sometimes it feels like yesterday.
At that time I looked into treatment in Mexico—sent some X-rays and such to a clinic there—they were honest—told us they could not help. I was mad at the time but I have since come to realize they could have fleeced me for everything I had.

As far as quarentine goes—its been pretty easy for me. My nearest neighbor is 3 miles away and my roommate works by computer from the kitchen table. We have kin and friends we can call and even had Timmies coffee and donuts delivered this morning. Been too cold and snowy to go fishing anyway so have been working a little on the yard and installing trolling motor on new Pontoon.

I was a day late showing up at the border because I had to wait a full 24 hours to get the results of my PCR Covid Test that was done in Minneapolis. Then at the border I was given 2 test packages one of which have to be done on the day after arrival. You do it online under supervision of a nurse on a kinda FaceTime like thing. Did the 2nd one today which is day 8 of quarantine. Biggest problem with that was explaining to Purolator where I live—they were 2 days late picking up the first package. Every day I get a call from either the Provincial or Federal health unit—they threaten me with 3 years in Jail and million dollar fines at every conversation. In exasperation I told one girl I had already had 2 vaccine inoculations. I asked her if the vaccine was no good? Her exact words to me where “You still have to follow the rules! The vaccine is not 100%.” Where do they find these dipsticks?
I also have a 1-800 number I have to call everyday to report symptoms—thats a machine that I get to punch numbers into. I’m thinking about screwing with them on that number thingy on the last day of reporting—but then I think about the 3 years in Jail threat and figure ‘Maybe not’.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply and further details.

I'm sorry to read about your wife's passing sir, I can't imagine what you went through.

Both of my wife's parent's had cancer and survived, but she's considered high risk for it and gets regular testing. Still again, I can't imagine what you went through sir.

That's a bit unsettling that they give no weight to the fact you've had the 2 shots of vaccine. One would have hoped that after all that, normalcy could be restored at least partially, you know?

Then again, it seems like there's a few too many folks who are enjoying the power they've been given in the past year.

Okay, it's more than a bit unsettling.

Anyways sir, here's to a good firewood cutting and perhaps another turkey chase and some fishing for both of us this spring.

Stay well sir and thanks again.

Dwayne

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dwayne, Hubert could really use that info right now if you can get him the specifics. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Dwayne, Hubert could really use that info right now if you can get him the specifics. Mb

Magnum Bob;
Morning sir, I hope all is looking to be acceptable in your day on this last day of the first week of May.

I'll give my SIL a shout in a hour or so and see what specifics I can find out.

When I know anything I'll put it up here - if that's acceptable?

All the best until then.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/07/21.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by BC30cal
kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply and further details.

I'm sorry to read about your wife's passing sir, I can't imagine what you went through.

Both of my wife's parent's had cancer and survived, but she's considered high risk for it and gets regular testing. Still again, I can't imagine what you went through sir.

That's a bit unsettling that they give no weight to the fact you've had the 2 shots of vaccine. One would have hoped that after all that, normalcy could be restored at least partially, you know?

Then again, it seems like there's a few too many folks who are enjoying the power they've been given in the past year.

Okay, it's more than a bit unsettling.

Anyways sir, here's to a good firewood cutting and perhaps another turkey chase and some fishing for both of us this spring.

Stay well sir and thanks again.

Dwayne

Dwayne, I think your comment about the power, some have been given, is really the heart of the problem, and one that isnt going to be easy to remedy. The Canadian Justice Centre has, I think really put their finger on how they accomplished this. The answer is fear.

https://www.jccf.ca/government-data-shows-covid-fears-are-unfounded-why-is-canada-so-afraid-%E2%80%A8/

I believe last night was the first time since last fall that our night time temperature stayed above the zero mark. Hundreds of swans have now gathered in the river about a mile away from the house. Judging by the noise they are making this morning, I think they are pleased.

Last edited by yukon254; 05/07/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think so but maybe you could send him a pm. I'm sure he would appreciate it. Thanks Dwayne. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think so but maybe you could send him a pm. I'm sure he would appreciate it. Thanks Dwayne. Mb

Magnum Bob;
Well sir, I just got off the phone with the flat lands and they're more than happy to recommend this fellow.

As I understand it, this Marcelino chap is connected with a few clinics and doctors and depending upon one's situation can recommend different ones.

My SIL went to 2 different clinics and saw a number of doctors. As mentioned before, she said many were from San Diego but had the practice in Tijuana.

Here's the website for Marcelino.

https://bestmedicalservices.info/

I'll send this to Hubert via PM too for sure.

All the best to you and yours sir.

Dwayne

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Dwayne.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magnum Bob:
You are most welcome for anything I'm able to do.

My SIL said that folks shouldn't be off put by the website as it's in transition.

She had nothing but good things to say about this chap's services. She's put in positive feedback but said it's not up on the website yet, but I understood she knew one of the feedback patients personally.

Again I'll say as a Canuck, we're consistently told we have "world class healthcare" and that's just not always the case.

Our system works in varying degrees for sure, depending upon one's location in Canada. Some of the smaller hospitals out here have either closed entirely or cut services way, way back due to lack of staff.

Anyways, it's a bit of a "thing" with me as I've watched both my late parents, my late in laws and various family members seek treatment up here and it's literally all over the place - from excellent to shockingly abysmal.

If folks have the wherewithal to seek treatment in other places, my hat's off to them and I can say I'd do the same if it was me or my family.

All the best.

Dwayne

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Magnum Bob;
Well sir, I just got off the phone with the flat lands and they're more than happy to recommend this fellow.

As I understand it, this Marcelino chap is connected with a few clinics and doctors and depending upon one's situation can recommend different ones.

My SIL went to 2 different clinics and saw a number of doctors. As mentioned before, she said many were from San Diego but had the practice in Tijuana.

Dwayne

Dwayne, thats the same clinic a friend / coworker of my wife's goes to. Breast cancer runs in her family. Her and her sister have been going down there for years now. I dont know anything about the treatments they are getting but I know they are both still alive and that says something.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The husband of the couple Slavyanka nannies for tested positive on Tuesday. She last sat for them last Friday so she has to self-quarantine until May 14. Sleep in separate bedroom, use separate bathroom, wear a mask in the house, yada yada. They only called once to tell her of the procedure. She had a test scheduled for tomorrow but cancelled because she has zero symptoms. Kids and I are free to go about our business right now.

I had the Pfizer shot a week ago Tuesday with very minor side effects that afternoon (tired and sweaty) but it passed by the evening. OTOH, my boss had the shot this past Monday and took Tuesday off because she was up all night with fever and chills. Don’t know what shot she had but she’s 20 years younger than me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254

Magnum Bob;

Dwayne

Dwayne, thats the same clinic a friend / coworker of my wife's goes to. Breast cancer runs in her family. Her and her sister have been going down there for years now. I dont know anything about the treatments they are getting but I know they are both still alive and that says something.

yukon254;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, thanks for that second positive report.

My SIL was a nurse back in the day and has had enough health issues within her family that if she's impressed, then I likely would be as well.

Thanks again and all the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
419 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.