Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lorne's posts are usually to insult or complain. Yukon's posts are about COVID. Who cares?

Yukon, take your endless COVID posts to the top forum. You will have a huge audience there. Or are you scared you will get chased off again?

Lorne, try starting some posts of your own rather than crabbing about others.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I am not interested in hearing any gun registry opinions. This is a hunting forum. I expect everyone is of the same mind.

No Steve, this is the "Canada" forum. It is entirely general in scope, as can be seen from the many other threads in it.

And, YOU are the person who started this thread about Blake Calkins and signing his Petition E-3388, which has absolutely nothing to do with hunting.

So why would you now say, within this same thread, that this is a hunting forum and that everyone agrees with you in this???

It makes absolutely no sense.

I am not saying this is the case, but it's almost as if the OP and the person making OP follow-up replies are two different people. confused

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It makes perfect sense. I responded to your post.

You said,

So, I would still be very interested in hearing more opinions about the long gun registry or about the petition, from other members, as I am sure that Steve would.

Talking to you does seem like I am responding to two or three people. I must assume that you are bored and would like to chat. laugh

As you can see, I responded and said no to your statement. I am not interested in hearing anything.

WRT the registry, I know no one here who supported it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Lorne's posts are usually to insult or complain. Yukon's posts are about COVID. Who cares?

Yukon, take your endless COVID posts to the top forum. You will have a huge audience there. Or are you scared you will get chased off again?

Chased off ? Sorry Steve but I really have no idea what thats about. Im not the type to run and its OK by me if people have a different opinion.

I have no idea what your life is like, but here's some facts. I've been involved in the hunting / fishing and trapping game on a professional level my entire life. Nothing in my lifetime has effected outdoorsmen, and women, like covid has. Nothing. This includes residents as well as nonresidents on both sides of the border.

Literally millions of dollars of trips have been canceled. Hunters and anglers from around the world are wondering about their deposits Canadian outfitters are holding. US outfitters and those in other countries are in the same boat. How many outfitters will survive? What will travel look like when/if this ever ends? Will an outdoorsman be allowed to travel if they cant or wont get the vaccine for whatever reason?? The list of things covid related that concerns hunters and anglers is endless. This is an outdoor forum. Covid threads are relevant and will be for some time.

Its quite obvious that you try to control the narrative on this section. I have no idea why. Like I said before, no body is forcing you to read anything. You get nasty and try to belittle anyone with a different opinion or interest than yourself. My take on things is that you dont get out much and you feel like this place is your own private little audience.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
😄

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bushrat
It's never been "destroyed". Probably archived in hundreds of places and many of those probably unsecured. Took the book off the table but many copies left in the library. Guaranteed it was used in the High River gun grab during the flood a few years back. They can "destroy" it all they want for public relations exercises but it's always going to be there..

bushrat;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that you're getting some decent spring weather in your part of Alberta and that you and those who matter to you are all well.

In my view, your comment about the use of the registry in the High River fiasco is spot on. While there was precious little coverage in the media surrounding the reasoning behind it, it gave me pause that the Canadian military were disinclined to participate in it, but the RCMP involved didn't blink.

If any individual members did, it's either been suppressed or they've been sanctioned into silence.

Until I watched the video Ian Runkle had with Ed Burlew on this topic, I wasn't that concerned, but afterward I now am. Rather than regurgitate the entire video, I'll strongly suggest all on here that owned any firearms during the registry period do so.

Speaking personally, I absolutely believe that adding our voice in things like this petition or Michelle Rempel Garner's petition is important as it does two things. The first is it shows us - well truly and them - how many of us there are against such moves by the government.

The second is that I'm hoping that it's another brick in the pack of the RCMP and eventually either they will find the proverbial pack too heavy to lift or Canadians will see that and relieve them of their burden.

Specifically I was heartened to see Surrey going to it's own municipal police force - they being the largest RCMP detachment in Canada - so it does matter to the RCMP in many, many ways - including budgetary.

I was disheartened a few years ago when the great province of Alberta decided to extend the provincial policing contract to the RCMP. I want to say that was a factor influencing BC to do likewise.

Again, having friends and acquaintances in LEO both RCMP and various municipal LE, I'd prefer a more locally run model thanks.

As you likely know, we used to have Alberta and BC Provincial Police and while it wasn't perfect back then, neither was the RCMP policing at the same time.

For sure and certain I am not anti LEO in any way, shape or form - far, FAR from it. What I am concerned about is the distance from my rural BC home to Ottawa and the seemingly increasing disconnect between their reality and my own. How then can they make effective and meaningful decisions regarding our rural needs?

Hopefully that all made some sense. Again it's just an old guy's take on it and not much more.

Interesting times we're in for sure sir, but a sincere wish for all the best to you all regardless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
I signed the petition. We all agree that the long gun registry was a disaster, costing taxpayers a fortune and doing nothing to keep Canadians safe. It would have been a better to distribute the registry budget to local police in order to fund the Guns and Gang units. The RCMP failed in its mandate to competently manage the system and then failed to comply with government directives to destroy the registry. No one will be held accountable, that is the Canadian way.

That’s pretty much as I see it, but I’m just a taxpayer trying to survive this governmental mismanagement. History has a way of repeating itself and now we have gun buy backs and gun bans.

Nick

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am weary of firearms being the political football.
Their logic for any firearm ban makes zero sense, I will not comply, ever.

The ultimate slap in the face to Citizens of Canada is that.....it only applies to some and doesn't/won't apply to others of a different race LOL. If there is a glaring hole in this ideology its here.

The disconnect in this Country is appalling. We are going to need another avenue of approach to deal with gun control as the wimpy writing letters to your MP is simply stupid and ineffective, the tail wags the dog.

I look at any form of gun control similar to a vegetarian trying to ban me from eating meat. These people never existed when our forefathers were building this Country, fighting wars etc....its all new.
If we don't stand up for ourselves we will be defeated by an ideology that is foreign to our way of life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope it's a tad warmer up your way than it was here this morning - my garden!!! - and that all else as far as can be is more than less okay.

As a semi-old guy who has been contending with illogical gun control since the very early '80's, I'm 100% with you in the weariness.

That said, I'm not stopping anytime soon, as I believe that I owe it both to my kids and to my ancestors who laid the foundation for the life I've been able to enjoy.

Honestly, I can see that many, many Canadians would be "disinclined to acquiesce" to further restrictions for a multitude of reasons. Part of me, a large part truly, believes that the proverbial "they" have to know this to be the case.

Perhaps that's why Hon. Hangover Bill has labeled us "extremists" already.

To want to be responsible for one's own destiny with minimum government intervention may indeed have become the extreme position it seems? wink

As you well note too, it's not equally applied law anymore and for sure that's nettlesome. The FN folks I know personally well enough to talk about it for instance seem to be among those Canadians "disinclined to acquiesce" and truly I don't blame them, you know?

The vegetarian thing reminds me of a conversation I had with a niece's buddy up in Salmon Arm one afternoon, where I walked back the origins of her soybean based diet and just how many whitetails were shot in order to grow them. Usually I can let these things slide, but sometimes I'm not able to contain the truth and it just sort of spills out. laugh

Anyways sir, I hope this Mother's Day is a good day for you, even though I'm aware neither of us are mothers in the traditional sense of meaning.

Stay well until next time sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by yukon254

Chased off ? Sorry Steve but I really have no idea what thats about. Im not the type to run and its OK by me if people have a different opinion.

I have no idea what your life is like, but here's some facts. I've been involved in the hunting / fishing and trapping game on a professional level my entire life. Nothing in my lifetime has effected outdoorsmen, and women, like covid has. Nothing. This includes residents as well as nonresidents on both sides of the border.

Literally millions of dollars of trips have been canceled. Hunters and anglers from around the world are wondering about their deposits Canadian outfitters are holding. US outfitters and those in other countries are in the same boat. How many outfitters will survive? What will travel look like when/if this ever ends? Will an outdoorsman be allowed to travel if they cant or wont get the vaccine for whatever reason?? The list of things covid related that concerns hunters and anglers is endless. This is an outdoor forum. Covid threads are relevant and will be for some time.

Its quite obvious that you try to control the narrative on this section. I have no idea why. Like I said before, no body is forcing you to read anything. You get nasty and try to belittle anyone with a different opinion or interest than yourself. My take on things is that you dont get out much and you feel like this place is your own private little audience.

Yukon254 I agree with you, Steve’s attitude on this forum section confuses me too. It seems to be one of ownership. I try to skip over a lot of his posts because I find some of his comments to be more negative and confrontation creating than the posts he comments about. I enjoy people sharing their opinions on the topic of the threads. Belittling those opinions just starts the spiral.
Keep sharing people.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are entitled to your opinion.

If I wished to control the narrative, I would add something to the preamble.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"What I am concerned about is the distance from my rural BC home to Ottawa and the seemingly increasing disconnect between their reality and my own. How then can they make effective and meaningful decisions regarding our rural needs?"

BC30cal hit the nail on the head. Canada is ruled by urban voters who have little or no understanding of life in a rural setting. Gun laws aren't made to be effective but rather to give urban voters the appearance of doing something about gun violence.

If the government was serious about the issue they would not pick off the low hanging fruit, ie. law abiding gun owners, but would take on mental health, societal inequities and a border that leaks like a sieve. BC's gov't rammed through Bill 4, the Gun Violence Protection Act, in March with no consultation with any of the stakeholders. Amongst other silliness, the Bill could spell the end of many rural ranges.

Nice.

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
Identity politics at work, pitting the legal gun owners against the urban majority non gun owners. The media is hyping the gun violence problem in our metropolitan areas carefully ensuring that its audience believes that all gun owners are the problem. Many urban residents question why one would want to own a firearm. They have never shot a firearm or enjoyed any of the shooting sports and in many cases have an irrational fear of firearms. I believe Jeff Cooper referred to them as hopliphobes (sp.).

The current government is very effective in exploiting this and the opposition party supporting gun rights for legal firearm owners cannot get its message out. Again, the media controls the message. We legal gun owners are facing an uphill battle. I recommend joining a firearms advocacy group such as the CSSA or the CFC if you have not already.

Sorry for straying from the petition.

Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Support the CCFR if you're not already.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 673
I am weary of firearms being the political football.
Their logic for any firearm ban makes zero sense, I will not comply, ever.

The ultimate slap in the face to Citizens of Canada is that.....it only applies to some and doesn't/won't apply to others of a different race LOL. If there is a glaring hole in this ideology its here.

The disconnect in this Country is appalling. We are going to need another avenue of approach to deal with gun control as the wimpy writing letters to your MP is simply stupid and ineffective, the tail wags the dog.

I look at any form of gun control similar to a vegetarian trying to ban me from eating meat. These people never existed when our forefathers were building this Country, fighting wars etc....its all new.
If we don't stand up for ourselves we will be defeated by an ideology that is foreign to our way of life.

great post

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting the petition btw...

Couldn't help but notice there were only just over 6,000 sigs in 3 days, seems low....
let you're buddies know about the petition.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're welcome.

We will all benefit.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10Glocks, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.